Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Very cool you guys are continuing to help this guy out, Evan & Mike specifically :beer

And props to the O.P for sticking with it :thumb: Hopefully it all pans out this second time around. You should also be grateful two of the best allison builders in the country are helping you out ;) I can only imagine how busy these guys are and also burnt out on these "DIY deals gone wrong":roll eyes: So its nice to see they are still willing to lend a hand to the average joe, who 1.Cant afford to have someone build it or 2. just wants the pride and knowledge gained in doing it themselves. Best of luck.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright guys sorry I didn't update yesterday i went and got the seal put it on and put the trans in got it in the truck it shift much much better then the last time but I'm still not a fan of how it shifts maybe it's just because I've never owned a truck with a shift kit in it but my 1-2 shift and 2-3 are smooth s ok me times then sometimes they aren't they aren't consistent like at 1600 it will shift smooth as could be but 1900 it kinda jerks when it shifts I did a fast relearn on it yesterday I've only put 65 miles on it so far mostly in the city I've been running stock tune I let it do a few shifts in tow haul and 1-2 an 2-3 are smoother as could be in tow haul but 3-4 is kinda rough I've been driving like a grandpa so I'm just assuming it will adapt to the 2000 rpm shifts as I drive it and let it shift at that rpm more?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What did you use to do a fast learn, and how did it complete the procedure?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How hot was the transmission when you did the relearn, and did you do the drive part of the procedure after the scan tool finished?

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
All it said after the relearn was give it a steady throttle through all the shifts 3-4 times but I don't really have anywhere that I could just get on a road and do that so I had to just drive around town real easy

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The driving part of the test is a pretty important part of the fast learn procedure. If you don't do it properly, it will take a little longer for the shifts to straighten out. I would give it a little more time to learn.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright cool yea I don't really have a road I can go through all of the gears at a constant steady throttle I'll give it a few more days then I've also heard that if you drive in tow haul mode just drive easy that it helps learn faster? Not sure if that's true or not though?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Do yourself a favor and go find a place that you can do the relearn procedure properly. Make sure trans is up to temp and do 5 or so steady 1/4 throttle shifts through all the gears and then 1/3 throttle, 1/2 throttle. If it is shifting smooth then move on to ~3/4 throttle and so on. Do the same for tow/haul

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I want to thank all of yall for helping me out even when you didn't want to but thanks to yall I figured out my issue that I would have never found I'm happy that I have it done now and as soon as it smooths out and I don't have to think about it anymore I'll be glad it's done but it definitely wasn't simple but it's hopefully done now haha alot of you got aggravated with me but I appreciate you staying to help because it made all of the difference!

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Do yourself a favor and go find a place that you can do the relearn procedure properly. Make sure trans is up to temp and do 5 or so steady 1/4 throttle shifts through all the gears and then 1/3 throttle, 1/2 throttle. If it is shifting smooth then move on to ~3/4 throttle and so on. Do the same for tow/haul
I will try to do that tonight after work

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ill tell you this, if this trans does NOT shift like a 100% stock truck, you still have issues. that goes for part throttle shifts and WOT shifts.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
But I'll have to still drive it a few days for it to auto adjust right so after a few days if it still shifts rough then there's a problem?

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright a little update so it smoothed out for the most part but it wasn't consistent still I got about 120 miles on it driving it easy decided I'd bump it up from stock tune to my lvl5 100 rwhp tune and still drive it easy believe it or not it actually shifted better in the 5 tune started shifting smooth as a stock trans 95% of the time sometimes it would shift rough well later on put the truck back in Stock tune to let it cool a minute before shut off when I came back out later trans shifted pretty rough didn't like it looked up I was in Stock tune still switched it to lvl5 and it's smooth as could be haha does this seem like an issue

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Could be a tuning issue then.

Put some more time on it in the tune it shifts the best in.

Btw, miles have absolutely nothing to do with learning the trans. It only learns when it's making a shift. Well technically the change in the tap adjust cells occurs right after a shift is completed. But you get the idea.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Yea I know but mileage is about the only way to really explain how much I drove it haha cause idk how many up shifts I went through and the tunes are the same I've had for 2 years it's tranny safe tunes from duramaxtuner my built Trans tunes should be emailed to me tomorrow around lunch I'll install them and see if any of them change the way it shifts I'll keep driving it though on my lol 5 because it shifts fairly smooth only issue I seem to stiff have is if I'm in tow haul and running about 55 or so where it's still in 5th but would usually be in OD if I take tow haul off it wants to slam into OD