Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
On my c4 clutch pack .067 is about the clearance I'm getting is that couple thousandths gonna make a difference compared to spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I don't know where the white seal ring came from, but I would go an Allison dealer and get the correct one. Would probably be wise to replace them all to be safe. Just my 2 cents.

What are you running for clutches in C4? And how many friction surfaces are there in C4 now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I did replace them all with what came in the kit and I got Altos I'm pretty sure there is 6 frictions I've got it all together now it was a slightly loose .067 so it should be fine haven't put TC in yet so I can still change that ring.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
That white seal comes in some of the overhaul kits. I don't trust them and would never use them. I can give you the part number for the correct seal from Allison in the morning.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Your "pretty sure" you have 6 frictions in there?

Your not doing yourself any favors by not being sure of what you have.

What do you think that seal does? Think about where it's located and what purpose it must serve? Do you have a hydraulic schematic for an Allison? That will help you figure it out if you get stuck....

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I'm also curious how you came to the conclusion that 0.067" clearance was enough?

Not saying your wrong, just curious how you decided that.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What is that seal for because I ran it for the few days I drove it

It is there to keep the fluid going to the correct place for TCC. If that ring leaks you will lose TCC

Those rings do the same thing as piston rings. Hold and keep pressure in the proper place.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
That's what I thought so yall think I need to replace that white ring? If he gets me the part number I'll see if I can get one somewhere Monday

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Everyone has said replace it!!!

Are you actually wanting help?

But yeah, if you can't get the right part Monday morning just slap that bitch together. I'm sure it will be fine. I mean there is no need to do things right if it's an inconvenience for you.....

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Well .070 is spec I don't believe
.003 if that will make the difference factory spec is max
.060 and when I was on the phone with suncoast they said a few thousandths should be fine if not there's nothing I can do to add .003 to it anyway. And you said replace it Mike said he's never seen one I will replace it but I would just like to know a reason no one has specifically said the white rings don't work they just said they've never seen them or prefer not to use them I'm just curious. But like I said I will get one Monday

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I don't know what the white ring is. I don't trust things I'm not familiar with. No reason to try something new here as the factory Allison seal rings work great.

Clearance specifications vary based on clutch material used, and number of friction surfaces being used.

That's why I asked what kind of clutch you are running, and friction surface count.

If Suncoast said it was fine then that's great. It's there kit so they should know.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Well its 6 alto frictions in that clutch pack and I should be able to find the part number for that seal in my atsg right?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I don't know if it's in the atsg book or not. I have an Allison parts book.

If Evan hasn't posted the number by the time I get to the shop tomorrow I'll post it for you.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Your C4 clutches will be perfect at .067.
The white ring on the stator shaft is aftermarket and may seal properly, but it is not sized correctly. By that I mean the gap is too big and it sticks out of the groove too much and can cause a nick, gouge, or break upon converter install.
Factory rings are made of Peek material and are sized correctly. Don't use crap rings.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright well there's an allison dealer about an hour from the shop I'll go get one hopefully they should have one

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
P/N 29531038 for the lower seal ring on that ground sleeve. Might be an older number, I don't have a new book but they should be able to cross the number. The outer seal ring is P/N 29538158 if you're replacing both.