DIY twins/ build thread

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
they are done, put 100 miles on so far, runs good insane turbo noise and quieter exhaust

making 32psi up from 23, 9psi off the big charger and 22 off the little one with 0 lag

30-100mph wot max egt's 850*

this is on a approx 50whp tow tune

just set a check engine light though.... thinking maybe maf related since its sucking way more air now... did it after about 100 miles

does this sound right for check engine light???

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
they are done, put 100 miles on so far, runs good insane turbo noise and quieter exhaust

making 32psi up from 23, 9psi off the big charger and 22 off the little one with 0 lag

just set a check engine light though.... thinking maybe maf related since its sucking way more air now... did it after about 100 miles

:nopic: thats awesome man i really like how quiet the twins make the truck it was a added bonus , i have never ran a tune that small on my twins that is crazy on the egt's congrats man :)

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
MAINER- NICE TALKING ON THE PHONE TODAY, I WAS WONDERING WHERE DID YOU MOUNT THE MAF AT? YOU DID MOUNT IT PRE big TURBO? take it out and clean it with brake cleaner or better with maf cleaner in a can

turk walker

Dec 16, 2006
gillette,wyoming
I don't know if you have done it or not,but I would get a Super Diesel intake horn for that factory turbo and reduce the restriction and help it flow better.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
So you are only making 3 additional pipes. An pipe that goes where the old down pipe use to be to the new turbo. A pipe from the new turbo to the stock air intake on the stock turbo, and then a new down pipe to line up with the exhaust under the truck.

Then there is always the optional hood stack. :rofl:

Anyway one more question. If the stock turbo blows at 3X pounds of boost, then why is it fine when there are dual turbos?

I think the turbo can only take so much pressure differential, but I am not sure.

Sorry for all of the questions.

BTW does the intercooler have to work hard with 2 turbos or less hard? I know twins generally help keep EGT's low, but why?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

where did you put the maf? if should be before the big turbo. some trucks dont give a shit where the maf is and some do.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
So you are only making 3 additional pipes. An pipe that goes where the old down pipe use to be to the new turbo. A pipe from the new turbo to the stock air intake on the stock turbo, and then a new down pipe to line up with the exhaust under the truck.

Then there is always the optional hood stack. :rofl:

Anyway one more question. If the stock turbo blows at 3X pounds of boost, then why is it fine when there are dual turbos?

I think the turbo can only take so much pressure differential, but I am not sure.

Sorry for all of the questions.

BTW does the intercooler have to work hard with 2 turbos or less hard? I know twins generally help keep EGT's low, but why?
THE STOCK TURBO will only push what the wastegate is set at(20-22psi max) and the larger turbo puts out 25-30 psi . so you are not overspeeding the stock turbo

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
Nice job mainer .......... I cant wait to hear these things . I hope you get the code issue figured out .

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
THE STOCK TURBO will only push what the wastegate is set at(20-22psi max) and the larger turbo puts out 25-30 psi . so you are not overspeeding the stock turbo

But since all the air goes through the stock turbo wouldn't it overspeed?

It is very confusing to me it seems like the stock turbo would be a big restriction to the airflow of the system

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It won't overspeed the turbo, and it isn't a restriction. Turbos work off of pressure ratios so a stock turbo can easily build 50 lbs of boost when they are fed 30, and it won't hurt it.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
only made 3 pipes, hotpipe, charge pipe, and downpipe, left the stock intercooler pipe alone.

and yes still running the normal ihi stock charger with internal gate.

hopefully i can borrow a scan tool today and get this ses light figured out