DIY twins/ build thread

smith6.6

Aug 14, 2006
waukesha Wi
1.32 may be to big depending on what your doing with the truck, I coyld only get it to really take off at around 3000rpm and up. I would say if your going to use it as a daily driver and tow with it yet you will want to be 1.01 or 1.10 I ran a little smaller yet because of truck pulls, hitting 4th brings the rpms down to much to keep the larger a/r going. If there is no plan of towing heavy or truck pulls you may be alright with the 1.32.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
1.32 may be to big depending on what your doing with the truck, i coyld only get it to really take off at around 3000rpm and up. I would say if your going to use it as a daily driver and tow with it yet you will want to be 1.01 or 1.10 i ran a little smaller yet because of truck pulls, hitting 4th brings the rpms down to much to keep the larger a/r going. If there is no plan of towing heavy or truck pulls you may be alright with the 1.32.

i have towed just fine with the 1.32 housing, tuning does play a part in it.

smith6.6

Aug 14, 2006
waukesha Wi
i have towed just fine with the 1.32 housing, tuning does play a part in it.

which turbine wheelprbably not the large one, I don't remember the size off hand. The larger turbine wheel is only ofered with the 1.32 so if you have other exhaust housings available it is one of the smaller two. It also tepends on what your towing I was towing a 34ft 5th wheel toy hauler loaded is around 15 or 16000.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
which turbine wheelprbably not the large one, i don't remember the size off hand. The larger turbine wheel is only ofered with the 1.32 so if you have other exhaust housings available it is one of the smaller two. It also tepends on what your towing i was towing a 34ft 5th wheel toy hauler loaded is around 15 or 16000.
i have a s480 with a 88/96 exhaust wheel and the 1.32 housing AND TOWED 10-12K DOWN 77 THROUGH MOUNTAINS DOWN TO N.C.- EGTS NEVER GOT ABOVE 1000*F - CUMMINS TRUCKS WITH TWINS DO JUST FINE WITH THE 1.32 HSG

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
haha

he knows how many turbo swaps weve done here. $hit ive pulled my buddies 4088 three times now and then finally its living on my truck :D

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
i've got everything.... just waiting for spring break (starts friday) then the building begins.... plan is to have them up and running by the time I go back to school the following week.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
i've got everything.... just waiting for spring break (starts friday) then the building begins.... plan is to have them up and running by the time I go back to school the following week.

That should be enough time. I finished mine in 2 weekends, that included rebuilding the trans as well.

Good Luck and take some pics.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
made some progress today.... got the coolant bottle moved.

used some diamond plate aluminum I had laying around to make bracket for it. the black trim is sold at walmart for like $2 its ment to go on door to protect other cars from you slamming your doors into them I think.

3ft of 1" ID coolant hose
3ft of 1/2" ID coolant hose

(only used about 2ft but get 3ft just to be safe)

2 1/2" hose clamps
2 1" hose clamps

1/2" OD metal barbed hose coupler
1" OD metal barbed hose coupler

total cost approx $20 (not including the metal i had laying around)

coolant5.jpg

coolant4.jpg

coolant3.jpg

coolant2.jpg

coolant1.jpg

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
made some more progress tonight got the turbo mount started, planned on finishing it but the piece of pipe i have is about 5" to short....

here are some pics of the mount and also the turbo sitting in the engine bay.

moutn2.jpg

mount1.jpg

moutn3.jpg

just to be clear the turbo is just balanced sitting in there, its going to be about 1" farther back and the black hose coupler on the compressor intake is going to be cut in 1/2 wont be as long.

s475.jpg

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
got the mount finished and the top connector to the mount that holds it up using a heim joint off the alternator bolt

here are more pics.

brace1.jpg

brace2.jpg

brace2.jpg

brace4.jpg

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
Can someone explain the air flow of twins and what happens when, where, and why. I am just not sure on where the air comes from the goes into the second turbo.....but I am thinking the intercooler. If so, does that air get heated up again when it is compressed in the second turbo?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Can someone explain the air flow of twins and what happens when, where, and why. I am just not sure on where the air comes from the goes into the second turbo.....but I am thinking the intercooler. If so, does that air get heated up again when it is compressed in the second turbo?

little turbo exhaust pushes big turbo exhaust. big turbo sucks in air from atmosphere and pushes it through cold side of little turbo. little turbo puts air through intercooler like normal. thats the picture book version

Last edited: