DIY twins/ build thread

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
yep

basically the path is

outside air ---> inlet of big turbo compressor ---> outlet of big compressor ---> inlet of small turbo compressor ---> outlet of small turbo compressor ---> intercooler ---> outlet of intercooler ---> into the engine

then on the exhaust its the opposite

engine exhaust ---> inlet of small turbo turbine ---> outlet of small turbo turbine ---> inlet of big turbo turbine ---> outlet of big turbo turbine ---> downpipe/exhaust pipe

ben

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
yep

basically the path is

outside air ---> inlet of big turbo compressor ---> outlet of big compressor ---> inlet of small turbo compressor ---> outlet of small turbo compressor ---> intercooler ---> outlet of intercooler ---> into the engine

then on the exhaust its the opposite

engine exhaust ---> inlet of small turbo turbine ---> outlet of small turbo turbine ---> inlet of big turbo turbine ---> outlet of big turbo turbine ---> downpipe/exhaust pipe

ben

i like your flow chart :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Can someone explain the air flow of twins and what happens when, where, and why. I am just not sure on where the air comes from the goes into the second turbo.....but I am thinking the intercooler. If so, does that air get heated up again when it is compressed in the second turbo?

Here's a post I made in another thread about how compound turbos work. Hopefully this helps.

I just went back and read what I wrote, and it doesn't seem like it came out like I meant it. I hope you didn't take offense. The way a compound turbo system works is by pressurizing air in front of the smaller turbo, so that it can compress it further. If the bigger turbo came second, it would be pulling air through the smaller turbo, and the small turbo wouldn't do anything. Since turbos work off of pressure ratios, the compound setups can build more pressure than is possible with a single turbo, while allowing the turbos to remain in their map. When you plumb a compound setup, your bigger turbo draws in through the air filter and sends it to the stock turbo. The air backs up in front of the stock turbo and builds pressure in the cold pipe. The air is then pressurized even further by the stock compressor and sent to the engine. As the exhaust comes out of the engine it goes to the stock turbo. As it exits the stock turbo, rather than going out the down pipe and exhaust, it is sent through the hot pipe to the big turbo, and then out the down pipe and out the tail pipe. Hope that clears it up a little more.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
Looks good bro. You gonna paint it, before you put it all together?

thanks, and yes I pulled it out and painted it all gloss black.

that was just the final "test fit" I had that mount to the block in and out of the truck what seemed like a 100 times to get it bent exactly to the right position hopefully things go a little quicker from here on but either way it still fun the entire time

should make some more significant progress tomorrow

need to make sure my oil feed line is long enough have a bad feeling it isnt, so thats on the top of my list of things to double check cause if not i'll need to have one ordered asap.

Last edited:

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
chargepipe1.jpg

downpipe1.jpg

downpipe2.jpg

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
5 out of 6 downpipe bolts broken loose.... only took like 45 minutes too, most of the time was spent trying to find the right tool for the job

torque multiplier from harbor freight is useless.... i dont see how it could eve fit in the space back there.

a long flex head 3/8" ratchet is your best friend.... got the top 3 and one side one in about 5 minutes

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
some more progress.... hotpipe 99% done

hotpipe1.jpg

hotpipe2.jpg

hotpipe3.jpg
hotpipe4.jpg

hotpipe5.jpg

t6 flange that my buddy Josh machined for me

t6flange.jpg

underhood1.jpg