Cknight199 motor build thread

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You know what your future plans are, so I'm sure you made the right choices for your personal goals. I'm just saying most people wouldn't go the direction you did on a DD. I'm subd to see your future accomplishments. :thumb:

alot of what hes running i wouldnt run in a DD either but i like my rig to run like a stocker with more power. for what hes after and stated to be after, its a good motor for it but Cknight, dont expect this motor to do more than you designed it for. your cold starts might be able to be adjusted to work better but i highly doubt you will ever get it to crank up as fast and clean as a differently built motor (not suggesting you do want that, just making an observation). Not a dig at what you have done but i see alot of guys build a motor thats really only designed to go fast down the strip or pull at the track yet they want it to DD still, drive nice, ect ect. when they find it doesnt, that motor gets sold or parted out or the whole truck gets sold. Mine is no where near that yet ive learned a few new things i would have done differently back then to my motor to be more keen on my goals.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Well I'd say a 8 sec 1/4 mile time is saying a lot to what fingers did. You wanted forged so you'll have to deal with the quirky things of that decision. If you decide to go big power and make it a race truck then you'll be set

alot of what hes running i wouldnt run in a DD either but i like my rig to run like a stocker with more power. for what hes after and stated to be after, its a good motor for it but Cknight, dont expect this motor to do more than you designed it for. your cold starts might be able to be adjusted to work better but i highly doubt you will ever get it to crank up as fast and clean as a differently built motor (not suggesting you do want that, just making an observation). Not a dig at what you have done but i see alot of guys build a motor thats really only designed to go fast down the strip or pull at the track yet they want it to DD still, drive nice, ect ect. when they find it doesnt, that motor gets sold or parted out or the whole truck gets sold. Mine is no where near that yet ive learned a few new things i would have done differently back then to my motor to be more keen on my goals.

Exactly, I knew what I was getting into with this build, and wanted every component as strong as possible. My plan is to run it with the setup it has now, and then next season add more air and fuel and really pump some power through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Exactly, I knew what I was getting into with this build, and wanted every component as strong as possible. My plan is to run it with the setup it has now, and then next season add more air and fuel and really pump some power through it.

good deal :D

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
So I had a revelation and figured out that I have a stuck injector. I am pretty sure thats why it is so hard to start, and I have a really bad rattle. Thought it was just my tuning because I have alot of timing but I am pretty sure that it is my #6 injector. All of my injectors are within spec though (actually my balance rates are pretty good) but my #6 injector fluctuates between 0.2 and 2.2 pretty randomly.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You might want to dig into diaging that injector more before deciding it's the issue. If it's stuck, you would sure as heck know it and balance rate would be waaaay more out than that

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
You might want to dig into diaging that injector more before deciding it's the issue. If it's stuck, you would sure as heck know it and balance rate would be waaaay more out than that

You think? Another thing is if I try to get on it if it isn't 160+* It will almost misfire.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You think? Another thing is if I try to get on it if it isn't 160+* It will almost misfire.

i wont say it isnt a stuck injector but it may be an injector that hangs a bit. when they stick, you sure as heck know it lol. sounds like there is something else going on though. does the tuning have fueling limited when cold?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
i wont say it isnt a stuck injector but it may be an injector that hangs a bit. when they stick, you sure as heck know it lol. sounds like there is something else going on though. does the tuning have fueling limited when cold?

No it doesn't. I'm going back to startlites tuning next week. I'm sick of asking for a retune and then get a response saying its a hard part issue from my current tuner.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
No it doesn't. I'm going back to startlites tuning next week. I'm sick of asking for a retune and then get a response saying its a hard part issue from my current tuner.

This is why I love tuning my own truck. Nothing against the tuners that have great customer service, but it's just ten times easier and quicker to do it yourself. Just have to be willing to learn.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

well, have you actually done a full diag to be sure all hard parts are correct? i hear it both ways alot of times (tuner blames hard parts, customer blames tuner) and any more, with a reputable tuner, tuning usually isnt the issue. doesnt mean it doesnt happen but makes you take a second look at your hard parts

and holy shit, this is my 9,000 post!

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
well, have you actually done a full diag to be sure all hard parts are correct? i hear it both ways alot of times (tuner blames hard parts, customer blames tuner) and any more, with a reputable tuner, tuning usually isnt the issue. doesnt mean it doesnt happen but makes you take a second look at your hard parts

:beer2: :D

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com

X2 make triple sure its not hard parts

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah

I know, I was just a little fired up because this is not the only time it's happened.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know, I was just a little fired up because this is not the only time it's happened.

Little things like this come when you change a whole bunch of stuff in one sitting. Just gotta work through them. Gotta be patient and take a step back sometimes.

Now, kill the power to your injectors, pull the glow plug on the cyl you think has a stuck injector, and have someone crank the truck while you watch for fluid to spit out the hole. Placing a rag over the hole to catch what comes out will help you to know what it is exactly coming out

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Little things like this come when you change a whole bunch of stuff in one sitting. Just gotta work through them. Gotta be patient and take a step back sometimes.

Now, kill the power to your injectors, pull the glow plug on the cyl you think has a stuck injector, and have someone crank the truck while you watch for fluid to spit out the hole. Placing a rag over the hole to catch what comes out will help you to know what it is exactly coming out

I'll test them Monday at work

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quick update. I haven't been able to get my hands on a scan tool to shut the injectors off individually to test them. But... When I burnt a hole in a piston, it was my #2 cylinder. Since then I have swapped my #2 and #6 injector when I was making sure that it wasn't a lifted injector problem instead of a hurt motor. My #6 is what injector I suspect to be sticking based off balance rates, it's still in spec but is the most out of balance injector.