Cknight199 motor build thread

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Nice, I personally would have used fingers cast Pistons on a DD truck but I wish you many trouble free miles :thumb:

Glad to see it back together rather quickly

I debated quite a bit about fingers Pistons, but decided forged would be better if I ever decide to throw some more power at it of spray it. In fact, my motor is the first running motor with CP's new piston design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I debated quite a bit about fingers Pistons, but decided forged would be better if I ever decide to throw some more power at it of spray it. In fact, my motor is the first running motor with CP's new piston design.

How much more power could you possibly throw at it that a fingers piston hasnt already seen.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Mine doesn't like to start in anything under 40* 16.5.1 fingers cast Pistons with rings filed. Also have both batteries and glow plugs (controller isn't working though) but with the rings filed I have a quite a bit of blow by.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
The White devil started at 5 degrees this morning. Cranked a little slow and smoked for a few minutes but it started.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
The White devil started at 5 degrees this morning. Cranked a little slow and smoked for a few minutes but it started.

What compression ratio? I'm sure it's the less compression that makes mine and Caden's little harder to start. I do know after the rings set and get a few miles on it mine would start a little easer in cold weather.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
What compression ratio? I'm sure it's the less compression that makes mine and Caden's little harder to start. I do know after the rings set and get a few miles on it mine would start a little easer in cold weather.
Yea, it is 17:1, so a bit higher than yours.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa

Your calling 16.5:1 low compression?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Your calling 16.5:1 low compression?

No. It's lower yes but I'm talking about his being forged and my rings being filed. I have a lot of blow by on my truck from the rings being filed. I have a buddy with 15.1 and his starts up easier than mine with zero blow by.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Mine is 16.5 my rings are filed for some extra clearance with mahle cast pistons and mine starts fine at 21* not plugged in smokes white for bout 30 seconds I did cold start it at 0 once lol it wasn't happy :rofl:

Tuning at idle makes a difference in smoke and start up

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
How much more power could you possibly throw at it that a fingers piston hasnt already seen.

It's not that. IMO forged are more proven. I've never actually see one crack other than a freak accident. Same thing with fingers, but forged have been around for a longer time.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I got to dyno it yesterday. Was very last minute notice (was driving home and saw the Facebook link). It was a local event, I was the only diesel.

The dyno was brand new, and the owner only could put a 20% load on it. Was a bit tricky trying to judge the load plus my brake load haha. The numbers are also uncorrected, hell idk if the dyno was even calibrated. I was just glad the owner let me run it inside his shop with my stack :)

http://youtu.be/bclRDv__85I

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
What's the difference between the max power number (highlighted green) and the max engine power? Rwhp vs what they calculate at the crank?