Cknight199 motor build thread

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Update: tonight I changed out my thermostats, and these new ones rock. If I'm WOT temp will get to 174* and then within 10 seconds be back down to 164*. Oil temps are lower as well based of the 6psi of oil pressure that I gained.

Also, mike and I were taking, and he explained that his truck had similar symptoms that mine does when cold. Mike said he got a retune to scale his MAF back and it fixed his issue. I checked my MAF and it was reading 70g/s at idle, which it would be around 38g/s iirc. That would explain the rich fuel smell and smoke, and rough idle when cold.

Tomorrow I'll know for sure once I talk with Zach at starlite (switching back to him since he is local) and get new tunes from him as well as some dyno time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I will bet retuning the maf will be night and day difference.

70g/s at idle then touch the throttle, the maf shoots up and you get lots of smoke and lots of fuel rattle.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No, I was fortunate enough to have sponsors step in and help me out with parts, and I didn't build the motor for the setup I have now. I wanted a motor with loose clearances on purpose so in the future when I choose to add more power, the motor will last longer and I'll be moe confident with it.

well.... it "should".

marge02

Dec 13, 2012
Denver, Co
Custom Auto out of Idaho Falls???

Pretty good for them to build you a motor, We have been screwed by them for over a year on a twin turbo kit....:mad:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Custom Auto out of Idaho Falls???

Pretty good for them to build you a motor, We have been screwed by them for over a year on a twin turbo kit....:mad:

Yes they are a sponsor of mine and have always been great to me. Recently they hired the machinist they have been using and got all the machines to do motors so it's all in house.

Last edited:

nbeach911

Apr 17, 2015
New to this online thing, developed a coolant leak, on my 02 lb7 appears to come down from above the oil filter where the engine and tranny meet. It's on the driver side. The head mating surface appears to be dry no other signs of it being head gasket at all. Also only happens after cooling from normal operating temp other wise no leaks ever.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
New to this online thing, developed a coolant leak, on my 02 lb7 appears to come down from above the oil filter where the engine and tranny meet. It's on the driver side. The head mating surface appears to be dry no other signs of it being head gasket at all. Also only happens after cooling from normal operating temp other wise no leaks ever.

I would start your own thread and you can get more help.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Might take a close look at the oil cooler area. Check and make sure the bolts aren't loose or the o-ring isn't leaking from crossover pipe.

I would start your own thread and you can get more help.

He said he was new to posting, I'm sure he didn't mean to post on your "build thread"

nbeach911

Apr 17, 2015
Don't mean to thread block you, first place I found to type so I threw it out there. Any ideas on starting my own thread on this problem? Maybe some member I could ask???

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
What's the status of your motor? Did you break it already? Thought you mentioned in the other thread you were having broken crank symptoms

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Motor is torn down, everything looked awesome so far until we pulled the cam out and found 2 of the lobes wearing down. On the same 2 lobes, the lifters were damaged as well and have markings on them. Only info I could find was LS motors having similar issues due to valvesprings, or a bad cam.