Cknight199 motor build thread

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Quick update. I haven't been able to get my hands on a scan tool to shut the injectors off individually to test them. But... When I burnt a hole in a piston, it was my #2 cylinder. Since then I have swapped my #2 and #6 injector when I was making sure that it wasn't a lifted injector problem instead of a hurt motor. My #6 is what injector I suspect to be sticking based off balance rates, it's still in spec but is the most out of balance injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that doesnt pin point this anymore. if you really feel its a stuck injector, you need to test like i said before to be sure. otherwise your shooting in the dark. you also need to take main fuel rate into consideration when checking balance rates.

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Quick update. I haven't been able to get my hands on a scan tool to shut the injectors off individually to test them. But... When I burnt a hole in a piston, it was my #2 cylinder. Since then I have swapped my #2 and #6 injector when I was making sure that it wasn't a lifted injector problem instead of a hurt motor. My #6 is what injector I suspect to be sticking based off balance rates, it's still in spec but is the most out of balance injector.

Do you have an autocal? If so just pull up EFIlive on your laptop and you can shut down the injectors from there. Super easy

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Not sure if its the same on an LBZ but you should be able to just unpluge the bail conectors and it will shut down the injectors. When I did mine I pulled all 8 glow plugs diconected the bail conectors and had someone crank it over while I watched and there was no dought which ones were leaking by.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Not sure if its the same on an LBZ but you should be able to just unpluge the bail conectors and it will shut down the injectors. When I did mine I pulled all 8 glow plugs diconected the bail conectors and had someone crank it over while I watched and there was no dought which ones were leaking by.

Thank you

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ended up throwing it up on the dyno yesterday before I put on my manifolds and up pipes for the weekends competition to see the gains. Did 752hp and 1352 ftlbs of torque as the final, and lost 12 hp bumping my tune up by 200us.

I'm thinking my turbo is holding me back as there is plenty of fuel still left at the end of the dyno pass. Hitting 50 psi, but my next move will to upgrade to an 87mm turbine to drive it harder.

Going to get it dialed in this Thursday with Zach at starlite diesel to run his tunes.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Did you figure out the injector issue?

Yea I pulled my glow plugs to check for a stuck injector and there was no sign of one. Since its been warmer it has been running just fine, I think it might be a combination of my forged Pistons, and really loose tolerances, possibly loosing compression until my rings are expanded enough.

I'm pulling my glow plugs again tonight just to make sure before I dyno it tomorrow.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Yea I pulled my glow plugs to check for a stuck injector and there was no sign of one. Since its been warmer it has been running just fine, I think it might be a combination of my forged Pistons, and really loose tolerances, possibly loosing compression until my rings are expanded enough.

I'm pulling my glow plugs again tonight just to make sure before I dyno it tomorrow.

Told you so comes to mind :rolleyes: :D

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Too stubborn huh:roflmao:

No, I was fortunate enough to have sponsors step in and help me out with parts, and I didn't build the motor for the setup I have now. I wanted a motor with loose clearances on purpose so in the future when I choose to add more power, the motor will last longer and I'll be moe confident with it.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
No, I was fortunate enough to have sponsors step in and help me out with parts, and I didn't build the motor for the setup I have now. I wanted a motor with loose clearances on purpose so in the future when I choose to add more power, the motor will last longer and I'll be moe confident with it.

I'm just kidding, you should've built it however you liked. You just had to make sacrifices to have it that way.