Cknight199 motor build thread

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
congrats on the build bud!

what made you choose half filled tho? just curious. almost every block ive seen that was partially filled, cracked.

truck should start fine with the 16.5 forged. Mine starts pretty easy at 15-20* and up with big injectors and forged. no glow plugs in my truck.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Little update and some questions as the colder weather finally arrived in Utah.

Using EFI Live, can my tuner adjust at what temp my glow plugs turn on? Reason I ask is it was 18* today and the truck sat after running for a bit. Coolant temp read 70* so the glow plugs didn't turn on, and it took a bit of cranking before it turned over.

I expected it would be a bitch in the winter due to the loose clearances for my Pistons, but it starts fairly well when the glow plugs fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
That sucks that it's that hard to start. Mine fired right up and ran smooth with no smoke yesterday morning and it was -18°. I actually just used the remote start on it lol

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
That sucks that it's that hard to start. Mine fired right up and ran smooth with no smoke yesterday morning and it was -18°. I actually just used the remote start on it lol

Yeah, but you went with cast Pistons.

No offense, but I would never go forged and half filled on a daily driver, and especially in a cooler climate like slc. Guys have made and proven the fingers cast design to work well.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I don't even want to go try and start mine. Here in Texas we had a ice storm come through and its 28 outside. It would take awhile to crank mine with no glow plugs or plugged in over night.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah, but you went with cast Pistons.

No offense, but I would never go forged and half filled on a daily driver, and especially in a cooler climate like slc. Guys have made and proven the fingers cast design to work well.

What made my decision is yes fingers have been proven, but forged have been around a lot longer. I've never heard of a forged piston cracking, and IMO they have been taken to higher hp than fingers have (so far).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
You know what your future plans are, so I'm sure you made the right choices for your personal goals. I'm just saying most people wouldn't go the direction you did on a DD. I'm subd to see your future accomplishments. :thumb: