duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Note...there are some early TCM OS's that wont work with the LLY auto high idle. Ill have to check which ones...maybe try a search on the forum here, or on the efilive forum.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
James,you remind me of me when I first found out what my "member" was for.:hug:

id make a comment about this but every time i type something out, it just sounds so wrong. :rofl:

yup! found that. i plan to change my temp so it comes on at 55 or 60* and below. Being an AZ boy, 55* in the morning is cold to me :D

Sometimes there's no winning with him..... He'll take a conversation straight to "wtf weird" for no reason:rofl:

As for your temps, I have a hard time believing it gets below 70 there. I was at wild horse pass last weekend and it 90 fu**in degrees there!! Track temps in excess of 120*.... In February!! WTF?!?!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Note...there are some early TCM OS's that wont work with the LLY auto high idle. Ill have to check which ones...maybe try a search on the forum here, or on the efilive forum.

10-4, ill research it. im on the late 02 programming fwiw

Man, you are cruising for a bruising if you ever decide to move back to Flag :roflmao:

na, i prefer cold. you just throw more clothes on! but you certainly get accustom to warmer temps down here!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sometimes there's no winning with him..... He'll take a conversation straight to "wtf weird" for no reason:rofl:

As for your temps, I have a hard time believing it gets below 70 there. I was at wild horse pass last weekend and it 90 fu**in degrees there!! Track temps in excess of 120*.... In February!! WTF?!?!
yeah i know. you give Joe a little leash and the ****er thinks he can run for 3 miles :D

we are in that strange period of temps. in the mornings, its 55-60* so you got a sweater on. then by lunch time your sweating your ass off and cant take the sweater off fast enough :roflmao: :roflmao:

It was 93* at the dunes last weekend and i actually didnt feel hot.... WTF!!! did have to run the A/C in the trailer to keep puppy dog cool while we were out riding though.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Went out to the dunes last wednesday with the trailer and sand car. truck didnt miss a beat. better fuel mileage (picked up 1.5mpg), ran so smooth and just so quite down the highway. all you hear is turbo/s and some tire noise. 483 come in at the same RPM and speed the 480 use to but you can for sure tell its moving more air. i can hit 40psi total boost easy in 5th at 2150rpm pulling a hill with the 483 making 17-18psi of that. might go higher but didnt need to. never got over 1150 egts and it just freight trains along. no need to 4th gear :D
!!
What was the spec on the 483

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well after my haul up to cottonwood this weekend with the new trailer loaded down, i gross in at 23-24k now. with things warming up, shes back to getting hot pulling the hills even with me keeping my foot out of it. Now granted, "keeping my foot out of it" still nets me blowing by trucks/trailers weighing in less than me pulling the same hill but its how i ran with my old trailer and less weight. by the top of the hill, oil temps were 265-270 and coolant was 240*. fuel temp was 200* which i expected higher so the cooler is doing well there and EGTs stayed right at 1150-1250 depending on if i had to get back up to 60mph from 50 or not. at 60mph consistant, 1150 was the norm for EGT. this is all on a 6% grade thats about 6-7 miles long IIRC.

so im in the search of cooling this old girl down cause it was only 90* outside. Adam and i were talking and the LMM uses a 21" tall fan. we had thought that the LB7 and up had teh same size fan but looking over some "lly over heating" threads, LB7 and LLY use a 19" fan but the profiling of the two fans is different as well. So im going to fit an LMM fan in place of my LB7 fan. it will bolt onto my fan clutch but i may have to cut the opening of the fan shroud bigger and then put a piece of aluminum in to encompass the fan. not sure if an LBZ/LMM fan shroud will fit without major modding.

after this, i will be adding the damn scoop to the front bumper where the oil cooler sits that i have been talking about for the last 3 years. this way i get air directed into the cooler at speed. there are no fans on the cooler and i cant fit any in there. i did look into modding the crossmember that is blocking me from adding fans but the most CFM fans i can find for the small width of the cooler is 350cfm. imho, i get more air at 50mph through there than 350cfm. i have no way to verify it though. id love to hear thoughts on that

if that still doesnt suffice, im looking at having a 3 core ron davis radiator built and/or changing my oil cooler up to something more similar to adams and putting them on the front skid plate with fans.

oh the joys of towing with HP :D. i dont mind slowing on a hill but the moment someone passes me with a similar load, i will NOT be happy :roflmao:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
The LBZ /LMM fan shroud need boss on The block to bolt the lower two brackets too. Lb7/LLY don't have them.

I thought I had the black lb7/LLY fan.. couldn't find it or I'd take measurements and comparison pictures

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The LBZ /LMM fan shroud need boss on The block to bolt the lower two brackets too. Lb7/LLY don't have them.

I thought I had the black lb7/LLY fan.. couldn't find it or I'd take measurements and comparison pictures

thats only for the little cage thing that goes behind the fan. the actual shroud on the radiator is what i was meaning.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ron Davis makes one for the LLY for engineer837 on DP that has an oil cooler which you don't need, how much different is your front end than the LLY.? I just got done with some bumper changes on my LBZ and the temperatures have changed 20 degrees and the AC works 100 times better...

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1003270&postcount=21

I've talked with Joe (engineer837) about his radiators last year. They are still a 2 core like stock and says they are 20% better at cooling but due to the air not funneling in well on these trucks, he can't say I'd see anything close to 20% increase in cooling. The main issue with the 3 core I want to run is the gap between the radiator and fan shroud I'll get but I can fix that easy.

My bumper is a custom prerunner one and much more open than a stock one. the oil cooler is right in the middle of the bumper to get air, it's just at a slant that is letting air skip by. It's also below the cooling stack to keep extra heat from going in it. This is why I want to put a scoop on there to direct air in. I may add a few more "speed holes/slots" to it as well and see if that helps get more fresh air to the cooling stack

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can't bolt an LBZ/LMM style shroud to an LB7 or LLY radiator. They are completely different.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You can't bolt an LBZ/LMM style shroud to an LB7 or LLY radiator. They are completely different.

thanks josh :hug:

i have also considered going to a LBZ cooling system which would mean changing intercooler/radiator/core support, ect. but it being 30% bigger and since im already looking at buying an upgraded rad, getting engineers lbz rad on top of the 30% bigger ought to really help cool things.....

would i run into any hiccups heading that direction. i know someone with a mishimoto intercooler already (cough cough, mike, cough) :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think the LBZ radiator is 2" taller than an LB7 radiator. I've never tried installing one, but I would imagine it would require a little bit of fabrication. I'm sure it's nothing you couldn't handle. FWIW, I know the LBZ/LMM behind the fan shroud sealing thing is a PITA to deal with, but it goes a long way in sealing the fan to the shroud. Since it is bolted to the engine, it doesn't require as much of a gap between the fan and the shroud, and the rubber seal allows some movement without affecting the seal. If you're going to the lengths to reduce coolant temps, I would look into making some sort of brackets to use that piece with the LBZ/LMM fan, shroud, and radiator.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
You
thanks josh :hug:

i have also considered going to a LBZ cooling system which would mean changing intercooler/radiator/core support, ect. but it being 30% bigger and since im already looking at buying an upgraded rad, getting engineers lbz rad on top of the 30% bigger ought to really help cool things.....

would i run into any hiccups heading that direction. i know someone with a mishimoto intercooler already (cough cough, mike, cough) :D

Need LBZ /LMM water pump to bigger inlet.

The radiator and CAC I put in my red dually had a 34" long core.. never measured my LMM.
Core was the same size and the OEM in my 99 end tanks being different tho..
I could pull top shroud off get a measurement of mine if you like

Just measured the core on my LMM 34" long 24" tall 2" thick

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think the LBZ radiator is 2" taller than an LB7 radiator. I've never tried installing one, but I would imagine it would require a little bit of fabrication. I'm sure it's nothing you couldn't handle. FWIW, I know the LBZ/LMM behind the fan shroud sealing thing is a PITA to deal with, but it goes a long way in sealing the fan to the shroud. Since it is bolted to the engine, it doesn't require as much of a gap between the fan and the shroud, and the rubber seal allows some movement without affecting the seal. If you're going to the lengths to reduce coolant temps, I would look into making some sort of brackets to use that piece with the LBZ/LMM fan, shroud, and radiator.

Yeah that's why I'm really considering the whole Lbz cooling stack. Intercooler has to change as well due to how it's held in place on the radiator Iirc. Core support and condenser may have to change as well.

I need to look into it more