Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thanks adam, thats 3" taller than my core. width and thickness are the same.

Ive done some searching and there is no clear cut "ive done the swap" which isnt a big deal. i did find a list of parts needed so ill probably start ordering parts to go along with my fan. at this point, im pretty much going with the LBZ swap. since Joe (engineer) has to have the radiators built, ill have him change the low rad hose connection from the LBZ style to my LB7 style. make that easy. connecting my intercooler tubing will be the next issue. talking with mishimoto now

MarshDmax

Jun 21, 2016
02 Dmax Led Help

Some of the dash lighting is junk and I would like to put some LED's in behind just the dash, its an 02 swell, do you know what kind/size would be the best fit?

thanks

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
next upgrades to come.

i have been swapping back and forth on how i want to do the cooling system and what would be the best bang for the buck. I built a little mister system to see if that would help cooling. it does help but not to the extent i was hoping.

now mind you, this is the heaviest i have towed with this much power in these temps. at 113* pulling 6% grade, i can get to 240 coolant temp QUICK but prior to that temp, oil temp is already at 240*. i can watch the oil temp vs coolant temp like clock work. soon as oil temp hits 245*, coolant start going up. My trans temp is also taking a beating at 210-230* depending on grade. the mister knocks the heat down but i can still hit 240* coolant with ease. i have to slow to 40-45mph on hills just to keep 235-240* coolant temp.

i have tried shrouding the oil cooler in and making a scoop on the front to get more air but driving down the highway and the angle its at just isnt getting enough air through it. There is no room to add fans and the little ones i could get to fit are only rated at 375cfm which isnt much. by the end of a long pull, im seeing 270* oil temps. this is better than no cooler but im not happy. I will be pulling the cooler off and selling it. it will work better for someone placed in its intended design area. it worked on brians old twin turbo GMC much better than it has for me. I talked with adam on his oil cooler setup and he was telling me about a new setup he wanted to swap to. it sounded like a great way to go so i have ordered up the parts. Ill be using a derale 40 stack plate, -12AN cooler rated at 60,000btu with a 800cfm fan. i am not using their fan, instead i ordered a 12" spal fan rated at 1640 cfm and will be using it as a puller mounted in the front bumper like my other oil cooler is now. i have high hopes for this setup to keep things cool.

Next im going to try a fully locked up mechanical fan. i could hear both the stock fan clutch and hayden 2886 clutch hit a higher speed when i decel down a hill and hit high rpms (3000+) but it will not pull the higher speed well pulling hills. i would like to see if a 100% locked up one will give me more cooling and if both clutches just were not locking up enough. im a little worried about breaking a blade off the fan so im not going to run the engine over 3k during the test/trip.

then in a month or sooner, ill be calling Mike L for a bigger trans cooler and looking into doing the aux rad setup from coolertowing.com. this is assuming that the oil cooler, fan and trans cooler dont net me more speed up the hills. all im after in this heat is 55mph up hill. thats a 10-15mph increase which is a stretch to hit but i feel its achievable.

its funny, when it was 60* outside pulling these hill back in October for a hunting trip loaded down the same i was at 113*, i could pull 4th gear at 62mph not trying and never see over 200* coolant or over 240* oil by the top of a hill. hell the last hill to flag i was in 5th gear the whole way up when it was 43* out running 70mph. double the temp and cooling efficiency goes to shit quick lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chevy1925 (James) motor build

New cooler and fan on. Damn this fan pulls some air! I have high hopes for better oil temp control now. Just idling after initial start up on a cold engine you could feel the heat it was pulling out of the oil. Still need to trim out the aluminum so the cooler is exposed all around. At some point I'll pick up some aluminum and redo the skid plate so the hole matches the cooler. Also I'll add some mesh to the front as a guard from crap hitting it

c637d2566c536f555779c4e74adb5e91.jpg

8efd09a655562261abf5f9d337341bf2.jpg

Truck needs a good cleaning too.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Now you've got me wondering if I should put a fan on my cooler.. It's mounted so air from the factory lower valance hole feeds air to it

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i will know after my run up north next weekend. Calling Mike today to get a trans cooler on order too. ran 230* on the flats and 240ish on grades. this new trailer is giving the limo a god damn work out in the heat.

the strange part was when i was using grade braking on a 6% grade for 9 miles, i was in 3rd gear at about 50-55mph. then the last 5 miles were real twisty so i slowed to 45mph in 2nd and trans temp shot 280* VERY quickly! im guessing cause the mechanical fan wasnt running and i was using about 3400-3500rpm to hold the load back down hill, it built up quite a bit of heat in the trans in 2nd gear going that slow. threw it in N and let it idle while i alternated truck/trailer brakes and coasted the last few miles. cooled down to 220 by the time i hit the flats. this was also during the time i had that broke ground issue 9wasnt fully broke at this point) so i dont know if something was playing havoc with the actual temps vs gauge temp from that.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Been out for a while due to being sick as a dog.... Started Sunday before we packed to leave from up north. Had a fever, aches, pink eye, ear ache, and inflamed tonsils. Finally getting better today.

Anyhow, oil cooler did well. Highest I saw was 250* with temps staying at 230-240*. The biggest place I noticed was when I pulled hills at a slower pace (under 50mph). Oil stayed 230-240 where before I'd see 260-270.

I still get coolant to 240* on the long windy grade and have to drop to 40ish mph but I'm at a better overall temp than before. I was pulling 50-55mph on the first hill out of phx with coolant at 220-225 compared to the 240 I'd hit before.

I didn't get to run the fully locked fan clutch like I wanted but I noticed the clutch was locking in full on this go round. I may not have realized it before but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Overall I'm happy with the new oil cooler and fan setup. Does very well. I didn't get the Trans cooler on in time either so that will help keep coolant temp down when I get it on.

I will be calling Ron Davis and looking at doing a 3 core radiator and seeing what they think before I decide on either doing an aux radiator or that setup.

Suge White

Jul 4, 2016
Queen Creek, AZ
Oh damn... Nice. Hopefully I'll be picking up my 34 GS this weekend. I'm scared to death to tow that pig up the mountains. I'll be staring at gauges the whole time I'm sure of it. I don't even have the gauges to moniter true trans temp, coolant temp, and oil temp either. I'm excited for the trailer though, never had anything that nice.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh damn... Nice. Hopefully I'll be picking up my 34 GS this weekend. I'm scared to death to tow that pig up the mountains. I'll be staring at gauges the whole time I'm sure of it. I don't even have the gauges to moniter true trans temp, coolant temp, and oil temp either. I'm excited for the trailer though, never had anything that nice.

Lol you and me both! I love how they are built, owners are stand up to all warranty fixes too. Now for reference, I have 4500lbs pay load inside the trailer (she's maxed out). If I have just my sand car in there, temps stay much more manageable. I'm also trying to use 600rwhp that the truck was never designed to cool. If I put a 400hp tune in, I bet things stay at a much better temp but where's the fun in that?

Suge White

Jul 4, 2016
Queen Creek, AZ
I'll definitely be running a lower tune. I've spent many hours reading everything I can on this site and before I wasn't sure but now I'm positive I don't know enough about diesels. I love this truck but when I've got a heavy trailer on it, I wish it was just stock. I spent all day last Saturday reconfiguring the custom flat bed to fit the B&W gooseneck and 5th wheel set up for it. This trailer is an awful big investment, especially if I don't have a truck I can tow it with. Arizona mountains and Heat are no joke.