Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Smart man :thumb: im interested to hear the differences to how it drives, makes power etc...

So far, just quieter over all. Drove to Steves to help him put a motor in. We will see when I actually get a tune in it. Stock is slow as balls....

Are you going to swap in a stock LLY turbo before you go to marks 68 Stg2R?

Corey

Not as of currently.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Random question James. Your ihi is stock wheel port and polish correct? Was the 480 a cast version 80/96/1.32 t6?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No, my IHI has a batmowheel in it as well as being ported and polished. i personally think that is the better setup for twins but i have nothing to back it, just theory. Yeah the 480 was a box stock 80/96/1.32 T6. So far, between the 475/480/483, ive not felt any difference in spool up lag. even with me on a stock LLY tune right now, the 483 still spools up quick and will hit over 10psi with a total boost of 34ish psi. My gate isnt setup for this little amount of fuel so it never opened to drive the 483 harder.

[YOUTUBE]h8u1AlKLJ4I[/YOUTUBE]

i dont wanna hear it about my music choice. its been a month and half since ive gotten to listen to my subs so big tymers got the go ahead :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Went out to the dunes last wednesday with the trailer and sand car. truck didnt miss a beat. better fuel mileage (picked up 1.5mpg), ran so smooth and just so quite down the highway. all you hear is turbo/s and some tire noise. 483 come in at the same RPM and speed the 480 use to but you can for sure tell its moving more air. i can hit 40psi total boost easy in 5th at 2150rpm pulling a hill with the 483 making 17-18psi of that. might go higher but didnt need to. never got over 1150 egts and it just freight trains along. no need to 4th gear :D

once out there, on saturday morning, we went out for a fast ride. Dads car cracked the fuel tank out in the middle of the big dunes and he has one of the heaviest cars of the group. between me or my buddy to tow him out, it would have not gone over well. So we headed back to camp to get my truck and a 5 gal gas car with fuel in it. if we couldnt rig up a fuel tank to get him back, we would use my truck to tow him out. So flatten the tires to 13psi up front and "sqishy" out back (gauge didnt go low enough lmao). had to go up and over a couple decent sized dunes and even jumped a ridge i though was more of a roller than it was. would have never known the front end left the ground with as nice as it landed on the coilovers. only reason i knews was my buddy cheering lmao.

so get back there and rigged a fuel tank. got him going and had to get the truck back out. one spot has me spinning them all at WOT pretty damn hard to get up. not gunna lie, it was kinda fun :D. everyone got back out on their own power and i hooked her back up to the trailer.

the dunes in the back ground is where we were at originally lol.

overall, she runs like a top still!!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Went out to the dunes last wednesday with the trailer and sand car. truck didnt miss a beat. better fuel mileage (picked up 1.5mpg), ran so smooth and just so quite down the highway. all you hear is turbo/s and some tire noise. 483 come in at the same RPM and speed the 480 use to but you can for sure tell its moving more air. i can hit 40psi total boost easy in 5th at 2150rpm pulling a hill with the 483 making 17-18psi of that. might go higher but didnt need to. never got over 1150 egts and it just freight trains along. no need to 4th gear :D

once out there, on saturday morning, we went out for a fast ride. Dads car cracked the fuel tank out in the middle of the big dunes and he has one of the heaviest cars of the group. between me or my buddy to tow him out, it would have not gone over well. So we headed back to camp to get my truck and a 5 gal gas car with fuel in it. if we couldnt rig up a fuel tank to get him back, we would use my truck to tow him out. So flatten the tires to 13psi up front and "sqishy" out back (gauge didnt go low enough lmao). had to go up and over a couple decent sized dunes and even jumped a ridge i though was more of a roller than it was. would have never known the front end left the ground with as nice as it landed on the coilovers. only reason i knews was my buddy cheering lmao.

so get back there and rigged a fuel tank. got him going and had to get the truck back out. one spot has me spinning them all at WOT pretty damn hard to get up. not gunna lie, it was kinda fun :D. everyone got back out on their own power and i hooked her back up to the trailer.

Let's see one of these curb scrapping low riders pull that off:rofl:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
So what all did you end up doing? Lly swap of course, but is this since you installed the thinner HG etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ

You didn't tell me you aired(ish) it out, and there is no video?!?! Phill and I have only been asking for this video for a few years now!! :roflmao:

Those sharp ridges will get you.... we had a test/calibration trip to the Silver Lake dunes here in October with the different Jeep Cherokee variants (3.6, 2.4, trail hawk, diesels, etc). The Germans that work for ZF (transmission hardware/software in the jeeps) were on the trip and had never driven or been in the dunes. They wrecked 3-4 of the jeeps from lawn darting them off the top of those kind of ridges, the wheel base was about an inch shorter on one of them afterwards!!! :rofl::rofl:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice!!! Looks James and I'm sure you're even happier you did the LLY swap!!:thumb:

Nice to see those coil overs are holding up great still!!:D:thumb:

Yellowchevy

yes sir! i do need to reroute the resi hoses with some 90* swivel ends at the shock as the UCA hits the hose at full compression. dont wanna rip one of those off but overall, what a difference when pushing it. now if only the ass end kept up lol

Glad to see the LLY swap is treating you well James!

thanks ben! and thank you for taking care of that harness. having that drop in with 0 issues was such a time saver :hug: :D

So what all did you end up doing? Lly swap of course, but is this since you installed the thinner HG etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I did a complete LLY top end swap so i run the LLY ECM and everything. Still on stock injectors but i put B LML gaskets on to tighten up quench and swapped to the 483 turbo as well as took care of a few prone boost leak areas so i dont have to worry about those happening again. still on the modded stock turbo in the valley for the time being. The tune steve built me is not optimized in towing mpg and may have some left in the unloaded cruise. So gaining the 1.5 mpg is a damn good start. it may drop back some after i put bigger injectors in though. i hate running 3250uS at WOT.

You didn't tell me you aired(ish) it out, and there is no video?!?! Phill and I have only been asking for this video for a few years now!! :roflmao:

Those sharp ridges will get you.... we had a test/calibration trip to the Silver Lake dunes here in October with the different Jeep Cherokee variants (3.6, 2.4, trail hawk, diesels, etc). The Germans that work for ZF (transmission hardware/software in the jeeps) were on the trip and had never driven or been in the dunes. They wrecked 3-4 of the jeeps from lawn darting them off the top of those kind of ridges, the wheel base was about an inch shorter on one of them afterwards!!! :rofl::rofl:

lol it was by accident. i wouldnt have done it had i know! i did jump it at levis little spot behind that work complex next to his house. i had so much droop and the rebound is slow enough that it didnt really jump but still got a little air :D. its pretty hard to bottom this thing out. you can do it but you will get the shaky leg wondering if your going too fast and ready to hit the brake, then you hit and go "shit, that was smooth!" :roflmao:. very similar to our mexican trench incident but not that fast :rofl:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I know that shakey leg feeling....problem was, by the time I figured out I was going too fast, all 4 tires were ofc the ground. 80mph down a 2 track and the road dropped out from under me.....no hill, no upswing, nothing..... Just nice flat dirt road, then "Oh shit!!! Where'd the road go?!?!". Not a good feeling.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know that shakey leg feeling....problem was, by the time I figured out I was going too fast, all 4 tires were ofc the ground. 80mph down a 2 track and the road dropped out from under me.....no hill, no upswing, nothing..... Just nice flat dirt road, then "Oh shit!!! Where'd the road go?!?!". Not a good feeling.

specially when you know you dont have the suspension travel to soak it up!

here is another pic down in a bowl. keep in mind that bowl is about 2-300 yards behind the truck. i am hitting those in the sand car at 50-60mph :woott: