Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well this f-in oil cooler is pissin me off. Started leakin again last night. Went through and cranked the bolts back down tight this mornin as a few were a bit loose and i figured that would do it. Nope, still leakin so gotta pull the damn thing back apart tomorrow. Silicone will be goin all over it this time along with the gaskets. Not lookin forward to that

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Its the damn 90* elbow that connects the oil cooler to the mid plate. The other metal gasket is giving me fits now and its brand new.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well sunday, spent another 4 hours under the truck pullin the cooler off, makin a fricken mess, saved as much coolant as possible, took my little plastic wheel to the 90* elbow and found the metal gasket had some black coating on it that was peeling up. Dunno what the heck it was there for but ill bet its what was causing my leak. Cleaned all that brack crap off and used black RTV on both sides. soaked all the coolant out of the cooler and put it back together. let it sit for 6 hours and filled it back up with coolant. didnt drive it till the next mornin and no more leak!! even got on it a few times on the way home to make sure she wouldnt leak.

So then i moved onto my gauge cluster to see if i could fix my blank PNRD display and message center. spent a few hours on it looking for loose or broke soilder connections as that seemed to be the cause of them going blank but found nothing. only thing i could find is one leg of the display was not receiving any power from the IPC but i cant pull that apart without unsoildering 1500 connections so looks like ill be hunting for a good cluster. anyone have any suggestion on a replacment that wont cost me an arm and leg? might have to push buying additional autometer gauges off till next month :(

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
These things sure aren't like throwing in a SBC and being done the first go around. Looks like your on the down hill slope though;)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:thumb: on fixing the leak brotha . ..

Sucks about the gauges . I have a second cluster . Sadly its for a 4500 and different .

Lol thanks johnny, if you find anyone with a good used 01-02 cluster let me know

These things sure aren't like throwing in a SBC and being done the first go around. Looks like your on the down hill slope though;)

Lol i know right!? Its alright, the fact shes runnin with no leaks its awesome. Im just glad shes still runnin!!!! Hell i put the thing together lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That I will and know someone that might be able to score one or have one .. I will check with him .

Thanks buddy

Few pics of her all cleaned up. Missed the old girl
4606f521-9fd5-b1ad.jpg

4606f521-9feb-6099.jpg

4606f521-a002-a795.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looking good James...I see why you call it a limo...freak in big ass truck:D

:D yes sir! those sissy short bed trucks just dont work for me :rofl: :hug:

Take a very small soldering iron and just flow all the connections on the display. I had one that I couldn't see the loose joint but it was there, A couple mins with the iron fixed it.

what i really need is a schematic of what is suppose to run where and at what voltage. ive tried all sorts of different things on the board with no difference. tapping, tracing, running test leads to see what has power where if there was a broken path and so on. only thing i come up with is no power on one leg of the DIC to the IPC. i can almost bet there is suppose to be power to it but dunno how much nor if in fact if it needs power.

Sweet looking ! love the front fenders and bar .

Glamis Ready :thumb: I want a ride in her up Olds ... .

yeah buddy! need to get the 2.5" resi's on the front, build my hydro bumpstop hoop, and throw the limit straps on. still dunno what i wanna do to the rear end suspension wise

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Speaking of which do you still have my limit straps?? :hug:

yup! still sittin with mine in the garage! btw, levi is gunna be down here this weekend if you wanted to meet with him. i have a feelin im puttin his traction bars on finally sunday