Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lol good deal. scared the hell out of me at first cause i thought something in the bottom end was coming loose, mind was goin a mile a minute tryin to remember if i forgot to tighten something. stuck a long bar on the pump to act like a stethascope and its definitly comin from there.

btw, have i stated i love driving this thing!?! :D

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Replaced mine 6/11 with a new ACDelco and since then it has made a whirling noise... Don't worry about it

ac delco tig welded from guy. not a whirling noise. more like a gear mesh noise. its gotten quieter, could be a good or bad thing lol

I didnt worry about mine back in the day from dealer replacement under warranty . ... Went back to dealer telling them " Hey wtf is this wirling sound its making ". They said " Its fine ... Drive it " . Then 2 days later the noise and heat related to it made the gear come off shaft . I just happend to be out on the I40 in the middle of nowwhere . I think you guys might recall some threads years back when I ran into this issue . Yes welding it keeps the gear on ... but why the noise . My findings later after 2 more AC pumps with same noise and gear off shaft 2 more times . I found the gears pitch and depth were just a tad different them my original AC ... after saying fluck the dealer . Went to dealer and found my original pump in mechanics stall . Then went looking at other pumps . Found the Napa pumps to be the same as my original and after installing no noise period . I weld mine also now , but use the pumps that have the same gear profile as my original AC did . All the AC's I have looked at have this other profile . Its the same but a hair different and what I believe to cause the noise .

I always love your answer paint ..... dont worry about it . Drive it . :cool2:

I say the same with a understanding of what it might be causing the noise . ;)

I wouldnt worry but be informed of what I think the noise is . I think its the cut on the gear . The welded pump should be fine and the only answer I concluded wouldnt leave me hanging on the side of the road with the gear spinning on the shaft inside timing cover and the temps pegged . Had 3 pumps spin the gear off them before figuring it out . Heat or ( noise ) makes gear grow . Gear is only pressed on shaft . High HP trucks also will spin the gear off but this is a different issue I believe the noise . I have pics of the inside of my block with a quarter size 3/8 deep cut in my block from gear eating block in the past after 3 of them . Why I not only weld mine , but start looking around for pumps at different locations . Went to Napa and in comparison ... found the gear profile to be the same as my original LLY factory pump on thier pumps and started using them and also welding them . I dont get how or why the later pumps had a hair different profile . But the noise sure is gone now . It was easily seen in comparison with your eye right next to each other. Slightly deeper depth on teeth and slightly different angle or pitch on gear .

The Napa pump had the same original profile as my original LLY ..... no noise ! Go figure ... might be on to something here . Hmmm ... is this what the noise is . Im no tech and just a driveway wrench ... old school . I believe a LB7 would run into this same issue if my thinking is spot on . Why anyone with a later LBZ or LMM I would think shouldnt hear a noise . Unless GM has pumps now that just dont meet up with cam gear properly . I dont know or in the end really care . I personally see the difference in gear cut on my original pump in comparison to the AC pumps available . And why I buy Napa pumps . These have the same profile as my original pumps that should have come on my truck . I think GM did something . Not sure . Changed manufactures or went with a supercieded part number believing them to be the same . Not sure or in the end care . Ran into alot of work and side of the road bullshit over this . Either way ... we as consumers have to live with thier mistakes as small as they might be . I have many pics but im full on loading more here and have erased all my worthless pics . If the noise doenst go away and you want to try a different pump I advise a Napa pump .

Just informing you of what I ran into and yours being welded should be fine . :thumb: I felt this was a issue LB7 and LLY guys would run into . Just my thoughts on how or why . ?? :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thanks johnny. thats pretty interesting stuff. my old pump was still good, never leaked or made noise so ill throw it in the tool box in the back incase something happens. that way if im in BFE, i can atleast walk the little hole in the wall mechanic shop on how to replace it and ill know the old one will get me home. Im gunna give it some time to see what happens. one, partly due to the fact i dont wanna get back under the hood yet lol, and two, it was getting quieter. its annoying i bought a new pump to ensure i didnt run into issues and it may not save me much. i understand even new parts go bad (had that happen a few times at the shop i use to work for) but when it happens to your own stuff, its never a happy deal lol.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
thanks johnny. thats pretty interesting stuff. my old pump was still good, never leaked or made noise so ill throw it in the tool box in the back incase something happens. that way if im in BFE, i can atleast walk the little hole in the wall mechanic shop on how to replace it and ill know the old one will get me home. Im gunna give it some time to see what happens. one, partly due to the fact i dont wanna get back under the hood yet lol, and two, it was getting quieter. its annoying i bought a new pump to ensure i didnt run into issues and it may not save me much. i understand even new parts go bad (had that happen a few times at the shop i use to work for) but when it happens to your own stuff, its never a happy deal lol.

Perfect brother ... was just an FYI and if you ever do pull it .. You have your old pump to do this comparison on gear to . Id run it . Your welded . But maybe this eases you up on being overly concerned on what the noise is maybe . Ive seen no damage to cam gear and on my last pump issue . A welded non noise pump . Beleive it or not . I broke a tooth off the pump gear . That was friggen wierd . Still no issue with cam gear and replaced with napa pump welded . Been over a year and all good . No noise . PPE pickle and myself think its the wieght of the big girl throwing shifts at her with no wheel spin . This lastest trans stg 5 . It hits 3rd like a brick shithouse . When I broke the pump I was doing the drift vids the night before . Hmmmm :thumb:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lol yeah i remember seein pics of the broke tooth. 12k is pretty hard on parts, specially with how you drive it. :D

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
lol yeah i remember seein pics of the broke tooth. 12k is pretty hard on parts, specially with how you drive it. :D

:dr: is probably best fitting words . You all remember the days of single restrictive turbo on stock sticks ... baking the hell out your shit . Ya ... im still on that set up . . .:roflmao: And bake my pistons knowingly ... :D

I think its called " Run What you Brung " My budget is very minimal for HP additions ... and my sticks are working overtime .

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just loaded a tow tuna from steve. I about shit myself. Ive been out of the power game waaaaay too long. Walked a mildly built ss trailblazer like it was nothin

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Very Nice ... feels good doesnt it . Been awhile since you felt the torque monster . :woott:

Oh yes. Im afraid of breakin somethin more than anything. Guess i need to get use to this again lol

Probably was an inline 6 trailblazer your only making 450rwhp :D

probably. The guy raced me twice and the second time rolles up and says " what the **** is done to that thing" told him i just finished building the motor with compound turbos and twin cp3 and i was running on a small tune to see how it ran. He gave me a big thumbs up and said " ill have to keep an eye on lifted trucks more often, never saw that comin" lol

:mad:I member you saying that I was full of shit when I posted about how Mamba felt...:( I recall u giggling like a skool girl on a 10# boost launch:D:rolleyes:

****, i dont blaim you! That was still probably one of the fastest street lanuches ive ever been in. Good god

13.0's sure are fast eh?

When you go from 25-30 sec 1/4s down to 13s. Your damn ****in right fag boy. This truck will put a hurtin on you now.