Allison 5sp: ats stg 3 ????

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it broke (or didnt lock) ATS would have you another converter for free.

Plus shipping though-both ways.:( No different than SC or a Precision however in that regard.

My ATS works like it is supposed to - I think, but it is too tight of a converter for my truck. Unfortunately, ATS only offers one converter that I am aware of so I can't trade this one either. If this one didn't rattle so bad, I probably wouldn't btch too much about it bouncing off the converter when it locks up in second and third, but it does, so my choice is likely going to be an ML when I build my trans.

For an all out race converter though, all rattling aside, I think the 5-star is a fairly good converter, but lets face it-all race/performance parts will break and will not last as long as a stock pieces do when running in a stock vehicle. That said, anyone thinking that because a vendor says it's the best and they go away thinking it will last forever is a fool.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Dale, I've seen posts before stating that ATS has several different stall ratings they can set the 5 star up for. Might want to call them and find out what they can do.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I talked to them and they said it was because my tranny hadn't learned enough after the converter was put in-I had almost 5000 miles on it.:rolleyes:

Also at that time it was shortly after the 5-star was released and they had no other options. But at about $800 Canadian to round trip a converter, I will just buy a slightly looser Precision and be done with it and sell the 5-star.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
This has to stop!!

You guys ALL act like your 12! Both can and has served people well. Run what you fill has the best support/service in your area. This is a no win for everyone. Act your ages not like some school girl's! Jeff

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You may know how a converter works, but you obviously don't know how the TCM works. Again, the problem is the TCM. Maybe Mike said "we didn't see this coming" because he/they expected that the converter would keep the slip withinn the TCM's limits and allow it to lock when it "should". Why do you think it'll lock up when the TCM is overridden with a lockup controller? If the problem was in the converter, it wouldn't lock even with a lockup controller. The TCM just isn't commanding lockup.

I'm sure if ATS or Precision built a looser converter with similar specs to one of the SC converters that "has the problem". it would have the same "problem".

Give what a rest? I am pretty sure I know how a converter works. You dont need to single me out and start on me. And, Actually it is the converter as Mike said with his own words the day we talked about it. He said "Mike (me), we didnt see this comming. The ML has no issues like the SC converter"

So are you calling out Mike L now? Mike L, do you remember telling me this on here???

You mean Mike L. right, because I think i am being nice.

And for the record, I have never seen SC say you need a special controller or tcm tuning for this product to work correct...If so I wouldnt have purchased.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Weird:confused:

I live and DD my truck in Durango, CO (6,800ft elev) i asked for a loose converter since i ran a 71.4mm turbo.....i spooled great/no rattle.

We put a loose ATS converter in a couple Fords too.

Yes, brand loyalty.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
You may know how a converter works, but you obviously don't know how the TCM works. Again, the problem is the TCM. Maybe Mike said "we didn't see this coming" because he/they expected that the converter would keep the slip withinn the TCM's limits and allow it to lock when it "should". Why do you think it'll lock up when the TCM is overridden with a lockup controller? If the problem was in the converter, it wouldn't lock even with a lockup controller. The TCM just isn't commanding lockup.

I'm sure if ATS or Precision built a looser converter with similar specs to one of the SC converters that "has the problem". it would have the same "problem".

So your saying that there are handfulls of bad TCM's all over the country? All these guys having SC lock up issues need new TCM's eh?

Thats not the problem.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
EVERYONE has the same TCM programming; EVERYONE has that table buried in there (that we can't get to); Answer this one: If the CONVERTER is the reason it won't lock up, WHY will it lock on command when you OVERRIDE THE TCM with a lockup controller? The answer is theTCM WILL NOT COMMAND IT becasue the "extra" slip is pissing it off.

For the record, I don't have a Suncoast converter or trans; I have a Precision ML converter and a kit provided by Mike L. There is nothing Suncoast or ATS in my truck.

So your saying that there are handfulls of bad TCM's all over the country? All these guys having SC lock up issues need new TCM's eh?

Thats not the problem.

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com

yes, we know that the TC isnt commanding lockup. you are posting nothing new. The point is that it only happens with the SC converters. Why? How about you use all your trans. wisdom and answer that question for everyone on the board that is having issues?

Your truck has never put down the power to experience this issue, you have never ran a SC converter, IMO why the hell are you in this thread when you really have no clue whats going on? How about solutions from you rather than telling me that my SC is supposed to be like this. Are you saying you could have told me I would have needed a lockup controller back when Mike built my trans? Where were you then? Also you officially are now going against Mike L's recommendation to me back in the day that the SC was a bad choice and he should have installed a Precision or ATS because there specs were better than of the SC???

Mike L, why dont you have this guy working for you. apparently he knows the SC converter issue and he sounds like he can be an ASSet the the situation???

Now I am pissed off. I was only in here because we were discussing the SC issue and apparently I am being told I basically should have known this would happen to my converter, and I was steered in the wrong direction on converter selection. I thought I went to the best Allison builder but this guy is telling me "someone" sold me a converter that doesn't have the specs i am looking for...Capitol WTF???

Last edited:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
EVERYONE has the same TCM programming; EVERYONE has that table buried in there (that we can't get to); Answer this one: If the CONVERTER is the reason it won't lock up, WHY will it lock on command when you OVERRIDE THE TCM with a lockup controller? The answer is theTCM WILL NOT COMMAND IT becasue the "extra" slip is pissing it off.

For the record, I don't have a Suncoast converter or trans; I have a Precision ML converter and a kit provided by Mike L. There is nothing Suncoast or ATS in my truck.

yes, we know that the TC isnt commanding lockup. you are posting nothing new. The point is that it only happens with the SC converters. Why? How about you use all your trans. wisdom and answer that question for everyone on the board that is having issues?

Your truck has never put down the power to experience this issue, you have never ran a SC converter, IMO why the hell are you in this thread when you really have no clue whats going on? How about solutions from you rather than telling me that my SC is supposed to be like this. Are you saying you could have told me I would have needed a lockup controller back when Mike built my trans? Where were you then? Also you officially are now going against Mike L's recommendation to me back in the day that the SC was a bad choice and he should have installed a Precision or ATS because there specs were better than of the SC???

Mike L, why dont you have this guy working for you. apparently he knows the SC converter issue and he sounds like he can be an ASSet the the situation???

Now I am pissed off. I was only in here because we were discussing the SC issue and apparently I am being told I basically should have known this would happen to my converter, and I was steered in the wrong direction on converter selection. I thought I went to the best Allison builder but this guy is telling me "someone" sold me a converter that doesn't have the specs i am looking for...Capitol WTF???

Mike M answered it for you... But Suncoast TC are the best...

Last edited:

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
If it's some slip parameter that isn't allowing the converter to lock, why does Suncoast continue to offer a converter that won't play nice with the TCM?
Shouldn't a converter this loose be taken off the market until a fix can be made?