Allison 5sp: ats stg 3 ????

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Dustin, I thought you said you went through the traps at 4400 RPM and 12 MPH?

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
122mph on 28" tires with 3.73 gears and a .71 ratio 5th gear at 3800ish RPM = my converter being locked up. If the converter isn't getting the command to lock from the TCM how can you even blame the converter for not locking? A converter problem is when it gets the command and doesn't fully lock, which isn't the case for the guys that are posting about it.

My laptop went dead after the first pass (when I was logging ECM) so I didn't get to log the TCM. ATS is a little far for me to drive to get the "free replacement" and if I do find a problem with the TC it will be sent back to SC under their warranty. If I ever change from an SC converter it will not be for an ATS, although I am a dealer for them.:hug: Let us know how your trans holds up once you have your new motor putting out some real power.

Oh i will, putting billet shafts and billet flex plate in right now.

12.2 on my 225k mile motor with A/T tires wasnt real power? Before your motor build didnt you run a best of 12.3 on slicks? Thats what your sig said....
Yay, your a dealer for ATS/SC as i am a dealer for ATS/SC. Wow

X2 on your last sentance you just edited in.

Last edited:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
I have a 1058 and along with others, it is not locking up like it should...warranty doesn't cover that.

I have to wait until I can afford a new converter or Braydens lockup controller.

But thats my fault. Everyone I talked to didnt have problems at the time and everyone "said" suncoast was the way to go :rolleyes:

So, whats SC doing for you? You called them about the issue right? What they say? What does MikeL say?

Just curious cause i know you been having this issue for quite some time.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Id go with ATS..even though i dont have it, but in the future i sure will

because Newly says so? the majority of Duramax enthusiasts have Suncoast transmissions that is a fact. I personally could care less about a warranty if the transmission breaks i want the best parts money can buy... there is a thread on the DP where a guy had his 3rd brand new ATS Extreme (first and second one's failed) drove something like 15 miles from ATS and it broke again.... Can you afford to ship your transmission 2 ways at 500$ a piece? i sure as shit would not want to be down that road. But hey its purple, and Newly is a rebel so good for you

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
So, whats SC doing for you? You called them about the issue right? What they say? What does MikeL say?

Just curious cause i know you been having this issue for quite some time.

When I called SC some lady pretty much was not very nice to me. I called back the next day talked to a guy and they said that it was not an issue. I asked if they had any complaints on the 58 and he said nope, because its normal :confused:

He also said if anything it my fluid level, again wrong so I gave up. Ill save up some cash and go with something that works and not recommend the SC converters. Its easier than trying to deal with people that obviously know of an issue and dont want to help.

Last edited:

Max'n 8

<---Gimme my frisby ugly!
Aug 3, 2009
Grand Junction, Colorado
I'm running an ATS tranny, Fantastic customer service!! A good friend of mine is runnin a SC, he loves it!! This Thread will go on forever.......just flip a coin:D

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
because Newly says so? the majority of Duramax enthusiasts have Suncoast transmissions that is a fact. I personally could care less about a warranty if the transmission breaks i want the best parts money can buy... there is a thread on the DP where a guy had his 3rd brand new ATS Extreme (first and second one's failed) drove something like 15 miles from ATS and it broke again.... Can you afford to ship your transmission 2 ways at 500$ a piece? i sure as shit would not want to be down that road. But hey its purple, and Newly is a rebel so good for you

gues whats so did all the people with 1058s but guess what we all got screwed in the end. just because you spend money for the best dont meen you will get the best. and I have also contacted suncoast and same bs. so now what nick ? there are several with this issue i didnt event it and sure as hell wish i didnt have to deal with it but here we are. so what do you sugest with all your wisdom of suncoast and hate for ats ? warranty dont meen shit if they dont cover it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
ahahahhaah LMAO if it was no good why take my money and put in a 1058? why did i go with it. Becuase you said this thing was the shit its badd ass will rip the tires off a 40mph this was going to be the replacment for the 1057. mabey thats what was suposed to happen with it but it didnt turn out that way. and then promises of a replacemnt wich never happend was the topper

so in conclusion would i recomend a 1058 to any one nope not in a million years.

You are a liar. Come down to the shop and say this to my face. Got the balls? Tomorrow would be cool tommy.

hdd-max

Apr 30, 2008
I am one of the guys that had an ATS extreme and with 551-600 rwhp I went through 5 of them. I WILL NEVER buy ATS again. The truck was daily driven and did not pull or drag race with it. They did warranty everytime, but I would have much rather had a working trans than a warranty. I spent months without the truck and lost countless dollars.
:mad:
My Mike L trans and pecision convertor in my 07 have not skipped a beat in 2 years. Sometimes warranty don't mean crap!

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
You are a liar. Come down to the shop and say this to my face. Got the balls? Tomorrow would be cool tommy.

I thought you said if i come to your shop your going to have me arested ? you think i wont say something to you in person you have another thing coming. I always held my tounge in hopes you where going to change my converter. The only reason to come to your shop is to have my converter changed like you promised in open fourms in pms and in person but guess what never happend and doubt ever will. so dont try to give me your 8:30 6pack responses if you think your going to call me out or indimidate me you better think twice. i had nothing but respect for you and I helped you out sevral times. but becuase i did not folllow along in your thoughts and ideas i was banished. And i tried to search for your coments on the 1058 on dp but there gone or i cant find them but your exact words where what i posted. youy also told me if i dint like the 58 you would put a ml converter in my truck never happened ether. I diidint create this issue you as the installer and suncoast as th manafacture did. Like I said you may of thought that converter was going to perform in that matter or be the next best thing. but its not. stop trying to cover up a shitty product its ok it happens sometimes things dont work out.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I have a 1058 and along with others, it is not locking up like it should...warranty doesn't cover that.

I have to wait until I can afford a new converter or Braydens lockup controller.

But thats my fault. Everyone I talked to didnt have problems at the time and everyone "said" suncoast was the way to go :rolleyes:

Dude, give it a rest already. It's not the converters fault it doesn't lock up "when it should", nor is it Suncoasts. All you guys blaming the converters for not locking "when they should" have no clue how these things work. When you go with a converter other than stock and add power, the "slip" characteristics when unlocked change. This confuses the hell out of the TCM, which is expecting a stock converter with "stock" slip, so when the "slip" is more than it thinks there should be, it will not command lockup. When the converters are commanded to lock, they lock. If we could see the table that controls this, the "problem" would be solved. Some Torque Converters have too much "slip" under big power, some don't. If you want to guarantee the converter will be commanded to lock "when it should", then put your truck back to stock and install a stock converter. Otherwise be happy you have a transmission that'll hold your power.

In short, as has been stated before, the TCM's are "too smart". THAT'S where the "problem" lies.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
gues whats so did all the people with 1058s but guess what we all got screwed in the end. just because you spend money for the best dont meen you will get the best. and I have also contacted suncoast and same bs. so now what nick ? there are several with this issue i didnt event it and sure as hell wish i didnt have to deal with it but here we are. so what do you sugest with all your wisdom of suncoast and hate for ats ? warranty dont meen shit if they dont cover it.

I told you not to do it you moron.
Your words to me were " You know me, I have to do shit like this " Like an idiot you sold your 1057 for what 600.00. Money was flowing wasn't it? Now that you screwed up your business with bad workmanship you are hurting. Think how your customers feel about botched floors and screwed up walls.
Why do you work for someone else now? Did you fix all your screw ups. NO.
How many people refused to pay you. I know.
You coming tomorrow?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I told you not to do it you moron.
Your words to me were " You know me, I have to do shit like this " Like an idiot you sold your 1057 for what 600.00. Money was flowing wasn't it? Now that you screwed up your business with bad workmanship you are hurting. Think how your customers feel about botched floors and screwed up walls.
Why do you work for someone else now? Did you fix all your screw ups. NO.
How many people refused to pay you. I know.
You coming tomorrow?

I work for some one else ? unless i have a split personality last time i checked i still worked for myself. i sold my converter for i thing 800 or 1000 actually. i love how you say you told me not to. yeaaaaaaaa ok again if this was the wrong thing to do why you take my money ? why you back out of every comitment you mad to fix the problem ? why dont you go sell some more used sc clutches as new again? I love how you make this about me when its a simple fix. but its ok skeww the facts its cool. i fi come to your shop you goiing to change my converter ?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Dude, give it a rest already. It's not the converters fault it doesn't lock up "when it should", nor is it Suncoasts. All you guys blaming the converters for not locking "when they should" have no clue how these things work. When you go with a converter other than stock and add power, the "slip" characteristics when unlocked change. This confuses the hell out of the TCM, which is expecting a stock converter with "stock" slip, so when the "slip" is more than it thinks there should be, it will not command lockup. When the converters are commanded to lock, they lock. If we could see the table that controls this, the "problem" would be solved. Some Torque Converters have too much "slip" under big power, some don't. If you want to guarantee the converter will be commanded to lock "when it should", then put your truck back to stock and install a stock converter. Otherwise be happy you have a transmission that'll hold your power.

In short, as has been stated before, the TCM's are "too smart". THAT'S where the "problem" lies.

why does it not do it with a 1057 or ml or ats converter ?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com

Give what a rest? I am pretty sure I know how a converter works. You dont need to single me out and start on me. And, Actually it is the converter as Mike said with his own words the day we talked about it. He said "Mike (me), we didnt see this comming. The ML has no issues like the SC converter"

So are you calling out Mike L now? Mike L, do you remember telling me this on here???

Mike & Tommy, that's about enough...

Thank you...
You mean Mike L. right, because I think i am being nice.

And for the record, I have never seen SC say you need a special controller or tcm tuning for this product to work correct...If so I wouldnt have purchased.

Last edited:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans

No, he is a smart man and has watched me beat the piss out of my trans like all my friends have. Yea, sounds like these guys on this thread are getting their Suncoast trans fixed.......DAMN! They are the best!!! Oh, but Suncoast never break right? F off and quit trying to feed us your BS.

When I called SC some lady pretty much was not very nice to me. I called back the next day talked to a guy and they said that it was not an issue. I asked if they had any complaints on the 58 and he said nope, because its normal :confused:

He also said if anything it my fluid level, again wrong so I gave up. Ill save up some cash and go with something that works and not recommend the SC converters. Its easier than trying to deal with people that obviously know of an issue and dont want to help.

If you had a ATS converter your truck would be on the road.

If it broke (or didnt lock) ATS would have you another converter for free.

hvy_chevy_one

Wants an ATS Tranny!!
Aug 9, 2009
Colorado

because newley said so? ya your a cute one. Iv seen him beat the hell out of that thing and no problems at all. I know people with boyh ats and suncoast, the ats seems to hold up so much better. I called ats before just asking on pricing on so things and they were so helpfull. There clutches seem to hold up better and the convertor also. I dont care what ya'll say, i know what im going to buy and im sticking to it, so get over your crying suncoast b.s.