Allison 5sp: ats stg 3 ????

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I have a 1058 and along with others, it is not locking up like it should...warranty doesn't cover that.

I have to wait until I can afford a new converter or Braydens lockup controller.

But thats my fault. Everyone I talked to didnt have problems at the time and everyone "said" suncoast was the way to go :rolleyes:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
There is good and bad in everything no product is 100% perfect im just giving my 2 cents yall can read it and buy what ever you want but were I live people spend alot of hard earned money on performance parts for there duramaxs cummins and powerstrokes and as far as sled pulling goes alot of ppl kinda fear this place there is some strong diesels here and alot of ppl has had very bad luck with ATS products here and it aint just transmissions either

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
None of the trans kits will be an everlasting gobbstopper. Buy from who ever has the best service and warranty.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have a 1058 and along with others, it is not locking up like it should...warranty doesn't cover that.

I have to wait until I can afford a new converter or Braydens lockup controller.

But thats my fault. Everyone I talked to didnt have problems at the time and everyone "said" suncoast was the way to go :rolleyes:

Do you wish you had gone with ATS Mike?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only problems I've had with my 1058 is it has a firm lockup on the street (just normal driving the lockup is more noticeable than the other performance Allison converters I've felt) and the need for some sort of electronic help for lockup at WOT. I really like the way it drives when it's unlocked. I currently have a CoPilot that helps with the locking issue at WOT, but I'm trying to sell it so I can get the AllyLocker from Brayden. Brayden's controller might be a good thing to have even if you don't have a converter locking issue which would make that problem not really a problem at all.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
At the time of it's release, was the 1058 supposed to be the replacement for the 1057?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Do you wish you had gone with ATS Mike?

At the time we did my trans no. The 58 was supposed to be a bad mo fo.

At this time, I think I would rather have an ATS or ML...

I would just like something that works, and I like Braydens idea for the controller but IMHO its just a band aid for the 58.

I not saying you steered me wrong Mike, You too didnt see these issues that are poping up now at that time of my build. I believe at the time you built my trans, you sold me what was best at that time.

That make any sense? :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He did didnt he? I though it was the cats meow when mike ran it in his truck? Hmm THis is confusing.

The 1058 is still a great converter and no I never said it was better than a 1057. The 1057's disappeared for a while because of the core problem and Ron at Suncoast came up with the 1058,1055,1059 and 1054 which I tested. None of us knew there would be a problem with the TCC. None of us knew that the 1057 would start reversing fins under high horsepower because the power wasn't there yet in '05.

Seems you get confused very easy.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I still like my 1058 and need to do some more logging before I determine if the allilocker is needed. I have never had the "harsh" lockup that others say they have though:confused: I do know that alto clutches have a much better track record than the ATS clutches and since I would rather be racing than pulling my trans I will stick with what works rather than who has the "best warranty" - but that's just me and if you want to pay for the warranty go for it.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I told you not to change it but you would not listen.

ahahahhaah LMAO if it was no good why take my money and put in a 1058? why did i go with it. Becuase you said this thing was the shit its badd ass will rip the tires off a 40mph this was going to be the replacment for the 1057. mabey thats what was suposed to happen with it but it didnt turn out that way. and then promises of a replacemnt wich never happend was the topper

so in conclusion would i recomend a 1058 to any one nope not in a million years.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
just curious if you are insinuating Mike said the 1058 was the better than the 1057?

No i changed it becuase i wanted a worse converter then what i had and i wanted to throw more money away:rolleyes: yes i t was changed because i was told this was the next best thing since sliced bread. wich mabey it was inteneded to be BUt sure is not.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
I still like my 1058 and need to do some more logging before I determine if the allilocker is needed. I have never had the "harsh" lockup that others say they have though:confused: I do know that alto clutches have a much better track record than the ATS clutches and since I would rather be racing than pulling my trans I will stick with what works rather than who has the "best warranty" - but that's just me and if you want to pay for the warranty go for it.

Thats funny...cause when your SC converter F's up you will be out the money you spent. Atleast with a ATS it will be warrentied and if you take it to them it will get swapped out free of charge. Sure sounds like a bad deal to me:rolleyes:

I have sold lots of ATS converters to replace the SC converter.

Why would you have a "harsh lock up" if its not locking up:rofl: You love your trans but yet you have not logged it to see what its doing??:rofl:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
122mph on 28" tires with 3.73 gears and a .71 ratio 5th gear at 3800ish RPM = my converter being locked up. If the converter isn't getting the command to lock from the TCM how can you even blame the converter for not locking? A converter problem is when it gets the command and doesn't fully lock, which isn't the case for the guys that are posting about it.

My laptop went dead after the first pass (when I was logging ECM) so I didn't get to log the TCM. ATS is a little far for me to drive to get the "free replacement" and if I do find a problem with the TC it will be sent back to SC under their warranty. If I ever change from an SC converter it will not be for an ATS, although I am a dealer for them.:hug: Let us know how your trans holds up once you have your new motor putting out some real power. I'm done going back and forth and have posted my preference. To the public: it's your money and your truck - do your homework and make your own choice.

Last edited: