Are things ever going to get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Yes, thanks for letting this one run it's course !!!

IIRC GM offered defined pensions which means you get "X" amount based on what your defined pension is. It could be like a Municipal/Union Pension which pays you an average of you best 3 or 5 years, police pensions in CT are like that. It could be a % of your actual pay for life with survivor benefits.

If you have a defined pension your tax preparer/adviser can tell you if you then qualify for a 401K/SEP or Roth IRA as well.

And as far as I know GM was building cars and trucks and having to add in something like $1500/vehicle to cover legacy costs. It is a ponzi scheme like Social Security, there is no money to pay it from, it was a pay as you go if I am correct.

Tell me that in the great depression that was the case and I will believe you, tell me that some jobs do suck and I'll believe you, tell me a Union worker has it rough and I would want proof.

Unions are good if they work with business to help them become successful, and for the most part the rank and file are good people, some are POS like you will find everywhere you look. The Union heads work in a counterproductive way with the business/public they serve.

Teachers Unions protect shitty teachers, Police/Firefighter Unions protect poor performing or dishonest members, Union rules prevent innovation because it might cost a job, efficiency is looked down upon because if you get effecient you might need less workers so Unions fight it tooth and nail.

Once you own a business or several as I do you get a sense of what it truly costs to run a business.

Politics is why our country is screwed up. So when they fix the Politics the country will get fixed....................maybe.

:thumb:

Tony, i have a few things to say, havent you said that other tuners are driving the cost of tunes down? In sence is that the same, that non-union workers are driving the wages down? Maybe i misunderstood, and im sorry.

Yes, im for unions because im union, i get a great wage/benifit package/ retirement because of it, so if i wasnt union, i would definately wish i was. Thyssen Krupp Elevator (who i work for) made record profits last year. If unions are ruining this country, then how is it only for some, but not others? I do beleive that not all unions are created equal, nor are there motives, and maybe its totally different on the construction side. We (and most constructions unions) have no seniority, so theres nothing to protect a crappy worker, and that is a good thing i agree. We are also pushed harder and harder every year to turn out work faster, just as everyone else is. We require 4 years of training/schooling, non-union requires none. That means, they can have YOUR lives in their hands whenever they feel confident about themselves, imo that is bad. Very bad, but soon will hopefully get better due to a new law getting ready to be passed that requires you to hold a license. Same as aircraft mechanics, i went to school to get my a&p license, the unions have nothing to do with the airlines downfall, non-union airlines arent doing any better.

Yeah, your right, i dont run my own business, so maybe i cant say, maybe all trades shouldnt be created equal. Thats the reason their arent many non-union elevator companys, it requires to much skill, and too much liability, thus im for unions, and always will be. You like weekends? Thank the Unions.

These companies made money hand over fist for years, but all of a sudden the unions have caused them to not do so anymore? I dont buy it.

As far as retirements and pensions go, i think everyone should have them, and any employer not willing to offer them or benefits to the employees is a greedy one.

You also brought up efficiency, show me a major job in the US that is being ran without union force on it. Theres not, not cause its not allowed, but because it will fail. All the major construction jobs in the USA are union because we all work together to put out quality work efficiently. Ive been on the little jobs, that half the workers dont speak English, their a joke, everything is half assed, and you constantly have to watch out for yourself do to stupidity and carelessness. Id rather be around a group of trained employees. Safety is also a good side to union. Look at the safety rules to a nonunion company compared to a union.

You have your view, and i have mine, and NO unions did not destroy gm, chrysler, ford or any airline, thats just another bs excuse for the business owners/ceos/upper management who would like to pay their employess next to nothing, so they can pocket more during bad times.

Last edited:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
You have your view, and i have mine, and NO unions did not destroy gm, chrysler, ford or any airline, thats just another bs excuse for the business owners/ceos/upper management who would like to pay their employess next to nothing, so they can pocket more during bad times.[/QUOTE]

yes they did. your right everyone has their own opinion, but there is no reason why some dumbass women is getting paid 55 dollars an hour to put on lug nuts for gm. unions and their tremendous wages and benefits are the reason why the vehicles cost so dang much and people cant afford them, hence nobody buying them. i think eveyone should be able to make a good living but damn, 55 dollars is what it ends up being for the person installing lug nuts on a assembly line for gm. thats absurd no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Tony, i have a few things to say, havent you said that other tuners are driving the cost of tunes down? In sence is that the same, that non-union workers are driving the wages down? Maybe i misunderstood, and im sorry.

They are, and have and will continue to do so. I have no problem with that either, I am a free market believer so I believe I offer a better product and that the value is reflected in the price. Many people have come to me after going the "less expensive" tuning route because they could not get what they needed from "other tuners" so I am perfectly fine with the competition.

Just so we are on the same page, I don't dislike you or anyone who belongs to a UNION, you work under the rules and wages the Union negotiates for you, I disagree with how and why from a business view, it's really not personal for me.

As far as non-union workers driving prices down, again free market principles at work, the market dictates what it's worth. Once you grasp that concept you would agree with me from a free market point of view.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

:thumb:

Yes, im for unions because im union, i get a great wage/benifit package/ retirement because of it, so if i wasnt union, i would definately wish i was. Thyssen Krupp Elevator (who i work for) made record profits last year. If unions are ruining this country, then how is it only for some, but not others? I do beleive that not all unions are created equal, nor are there motives, and maybe its totally different on the construction side. We (and most constructions unions) have no seniority, so theres nothing to protect a crappy worker, and that is a good thing i agree. We are also pushed harder and harder every year to turn out work faster, just as everyone else is. We require 4 years of training/schooling, non-union requires none. That means, they can have YOUR lives in their hands whenever they feel confident about themselves, imo that is bad. Very bad, but soon will hopefully get better due to a new law getting ready to be passed that requires you to hold a license. Same as aircraft mechanics, i went to school to get my a&p license, the unions have nothing to do with the airlines downfall, non-union airlines arent doing any better.

Yeah, your right, i dont run my own business, so maybe i cant say, maybe all trades shouldnt be created equal. Thats the reason their arent many non-union elevator companys, it requires to much skill, and too much liability, thus im for unions, and always will be. You like weekends? Thank the Unions.

These companies made money hand over fist for years, but all of a sudden the unions have caused them to not do so anymore? I dont buy it.

As far as retirements and pensions go, i think everyone should have them, and any employer not willing to offer them or benefits to the employees is a greedy one.

If they can't afford to provide it then I guess they eliminate the job or close the business down, ask any Union Member who used to work for GM, or a major Airline if they would like a job now that was non-union or would they rather have no job but be on a call back list for "maybe" a job ???

You also brought up efficiency, show me a major job in the US that is being ran without union force on it. Theres not, not cause its not allowed, but because it will fail.

The bid processes are rigged, we have a store in CT, it's called Stew Leonards, it boasts the title of "Worlds Biggest Dairy Store" and guess what, built without one Union Worker. In fact they protested outside the store during construction, they all said we'll never shop there, blah, blah, blah...........but in the end they do.

All the major construction jobs in the USA are union because we all work together to put out quality work efficiently. Ive been on the little jobs, that half the workers dont speak English, their a joke, everything is half assed, and you constantly have to watch out for yourself do to stupidity and carelessness. Id rather be around a group of trained employees. Safety is also a good side to union. Look at the safety rules to a nonunion company compared to a union.

You have your view, and i have mine, and NO unions did not destroy gm, chrysler, ford or any airline, thats just another bs excuse for the business owners/ceos/upper management who would like to pay their employess next to nothing, so they can pocket more during bad times.

Again, ask any ex-GM/Chrysler Employee how that Union Job worked out for them. Did I read that non-Union Toyota plants in the USA are doing well ???

My answers are in RED

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
yes they did. your right everyone has their own opinion, but there is no reason why some dumbass women is getting paid 55 dollars an hour to put on lug nuts for gm. unions and their tremendous wages and benefits are the reason why the vehicles cost so dang much and people cant afford them, hence nobody buying them. i think eveyone should be able to make a good living but damn, 55 dollars is what it ends up being for the person installing lug nuts on a assembly line for gm. thats absurd no matter how you look at it.[/QUOTE]

You must be talking retirement and benifits package too. When it comes to actual wages, toyotas assembly line workers make more than gms. I believe its like 60 cents more, and id bet once you add their retirement/benifits package their in that ball park too.

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
My answers are in RED

Toyota has a good retirement pakage/wage too. But when was the first person to retire from Toyota in the USA? 90s? When was the first person to retire from Gm here in the states? 50s? Amount of people from retired from both? I dont know, but id say gm outnumbers them 100to1 here in the states.

As for the bidding process being rigged, that sounds like a consperiecy to me.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

There are MAJOR airlines that are NONUNION, guess what! Theyre not doing any better than Union ones. So what about the non union aircraft mechanics who are laid off? What do we ask them?

Ill repeat this once again since you didnt answer it, Thyssen Krupp Elevator made record profits last year, trampling and close non union elevator companys profits. Seems to me that if Unions are killing this country, that something like this couldnt happen. Seems to me Unions are doing good for Thyssen Krupp, and other BIG companys.

On another note, every union ran job ive been on, first thing we do is take a piss test, even if we go to a different job for JE Dunn/Turner/Kewitt every month, it doesnt matter, we drop piss before we walk on, and go over safety training, and a few of them even do randoms, if you dont pass, theres no "protection" that is offered, like you guys keep talking about with unions. Guess what we do for the Non union jobs?? Nothing, no drug test, no safety training, no safety people on the job, to make sure others arent putting everyone elses lives in danger.

My UNION company buys me a couple grand worth of safety equipment, harness, hardhat, safetly glasses, gloves, lifelines, ropegrabs. Guess what the non union side buys their employees? A hardhat, the rest their on their own to buy it, or just not be safe.

Union Elevator constructor wage here in Kansas City, 39 and some change an hour, + benifits, retirement, and annuity.
Non Union Elevator mechanic wage in KC 12-25 an hour, benifits...What are those?

From those list of facts right there, its a hard choice, but i think ill stay organized.:thumb:

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Toyota has a good retirement pakage/wage too. But when was the first person to retire from Toyota in the USA? 90s? When was the first person to retire from Gm here in the states? 50s? Amount of people from retired from both? I dont know, but id say gm outnumbers them 100to1 here in the states.

I am going to offer this, Toyota probably does not have a defined benefits pension plan like GM did, it is probably a 401K with a matching contribution up to a $$$ limit.

As for the bidding process being rigged, that sounds like a consperiecy to me.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I state or federal contract written by Union Supporting Democrats in either the Federal or State halls of Congress compels anyone who bids on that contract to be forced to hire organized labor in order to be able to bid it's a rigged game...........If a company has no freedom to hire a non-organized work force it is a rigged game............no conspiracy, just the facts...............:rofl:

There are MAJOR airlines that are NONUNION, guess what! Theyre not doing any better than Union ones. So what about the non union aircraft mechanics who are laid off? What do we ask them?

Ask them why the Democrats won't allow drilling in the USA to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Fuel costs are the major expense for Airlines.

Ill repeat this once again since you didnt answer it, Thyssen Krupp Elevator made record profits last year, trampling and close non union elevator companys profits. Seems to me that if Unions are killing this country, that something like this couldnt happen. Seems to me Unions are doing good for Thyssen Krupp, and other BIG companys.

Maybe they are doing well, when you eliminate your competition through free market principles more power to you. Sounds like you have a well managed company, does it have stock available, maybe I should buy some of it.

On another note, every union ran job ive been on, first thing we do is take a piss test, even if we go to a different job for JE Dunn/Turner/Kewitt every month, it doesnt matter, we drop piss before we walk on, and go over safety training, and a few of them even do randoms, if you dont pass, theres no "protection" that is offered, like you guys keep talking about with unions. Guess what we do for the Non union jobs?? Nothing, no drug test, no safety training, no safety people on the job, to make sure others arent putting everyone elses lives in danger.

That's a good policy, if you are a druggie I would not want you working on my elevator. I am all for a safe work environment too, why wouldn't your Union force the NON-UNION jobs to provide you with all the safety equipment, and do you work for less money on a non-union job or not ??

My UNION company buys me a couple grand worth of safety equipment, harness, hardhat, safetly glasses, gloves, lifelines, ropegrabs. Guess what the non union side buys their employees? A hardhat, the rest their on their own to buy it, or just not be safe.

Union Elevator constructor wage here in Kansas City, 39 and some change an hour, + benifits, retirement, and annuity.
Non Union Elevator mechanic wage in KC 12-25 an hour, benifits...What are those?

From those list of facts right there, its a hard choice, but i think ill stay organized.:thumb:

You ever have to strike ?? You ever been told to slow down your working too fast, you ever been told by your Union who you need to vote for, We have a Union State Road Crew in CT, the joke is what it Big, Orange, and sleeps six...........A state road truck............:rofl:

Ever go to a Motor Vehicle, ever go to a State Office, ever go anywhere that is run by a Union, the people are rude, lazy and seriously arrogant for the most part. Want to know why, because it's so hard to get rid of them because of the Union.

:D

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Yeah toyota is non union, push it out and worry about quality later. The last big recall program was there trucks rotting apart and company buying back because they're unsafe. And now very soon. a 4 "MILLION" car recall due to faulty accererators. Dealer in my area is puttin an addition with 8 new bays to keep up. I know this because I know the service mngr and applied for a job.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
ever notice a non union construction site? seems to be mostly illegals working for peanuts, and the contractor filling his pockets. Or crane and scaffold accidents that hurt or kill people.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I have some friends that work for Toyota at a west coast parts distribution center. They make $27 to pull small parts from a shelf and put them in boxes. I love my friends, but I think they are overpaid for that. Funny part is they think so too. All the other area warehousing pays $15-$20 max. Yes Toyota is really good at the "lets not let anyone know we are having problems game".

Status
Not open for further replies.