Are things ever going to get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I am interested too in a 6 figure job. Count me in....the only thing I know is running heavy machinary, bulldozers, excavators, scrapers, tractors, etc etc.:)

WrekNBall...... that's as true as it gets right there. I think I could cry myself to sleep on that.:eek:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
In two more weeks I will have not worked for a year. I guess I am a welfare junkie, though I apply and apply for jobs below and above my skill level and never hear anything. So thank you all for supporting me and lining my pockets with money so I can pay my rent and keep my truck another month:thumb:

lol.... :D

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Wes ff means firefighter and there's I and II. They each take a semester and can be taken at any local community college usually. First responder is a healthcare course and ithink its only a few weeks it's so easy it's a joke. Emt basic only takes a semester. If you wanna get on fire in the states most places you'll need to be an EMT intermediate or medic.

Large1

Dec 11, 2009
not even that here. I'm gonna go for a CDL-A license to widen my opportunities. Might be a waste, but I guess it wont hurt to try.

Have you ever thought about being a fire fighter? I just finished my EMT-B license and will be trying out this march..wish me luck. Good paying job one on two off.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That varies from agency to agency. They hire 40+ yrs old

around here in the SF Bay Area base salary for Fire Fighters is 60-70k but to get a job is 1 in 10,000... that's why police is gonna be my thing:D in Richmond and Oakland the base salary for a Police Officer is 80-90k and they pay you to go to Academy it also helps to have good family friends that work there:D retire by 50yrs retain 80% of my salary for the duration of my and or my wifes life with annual increases based on increased living expenses... and every year over 25 years you work you retain an additional 3% of your salary for life. Plus full benefits for life as well. IIRC Chiefs make 200-250k a year you will not get rich but will be able to have a very comfortable life

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
around here in the SF Bay Area base salary for Fire Fighters is 60-70k but to get a job is 1 in 10,000... that's why police is gonna be my thing:D in Richmond and Oakland the base salary for a Police Officer is 80-90k and they pay you to go to Academy it also helps to have good family friends that work there:D retire by 50yrs retain 80% of my salary for the duration of my and or my wifes life with annual increases based on increased living expenses... and every year over 25 years you work you retain an additional 3% of your salary for life. Plus full benefits for life as well. IIRC Chiefs make 200-250k a year you will not get rich but will be able to have a very comfortable life

You as a cop!!!!:rofl::spit:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
it is funny all my friends laugh but its time for a career im kind of over working for the old man

Better hope they don't do background checks!!:rofl:

You see more like the type who would do well managing a hair/nail salon or something in the catering business.:rofl:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Better hope they don't do background checks!!:rofl:

You see more like the type who would do well managing a hair/nail salon or something in the catering business.:rofl:

LOL you look like Daniel Boones long lost partially retarded homosexual brother:thumb: Simon looks like your life partner...

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
UPS drivers do not have it easy by and means. Hard work and Very long hours.

As for the unions they have destroyed GM, the only reason UPS isnt hurt is because they have the capital to pay the bills. Not to say that we dont have pay freezes or spending freezes but UPS has done well to adapt to todays economy IMO.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
UPS drivers do not have it easy by and means. Hard work and Very long hours.

As for the unions they have destroyed GM, the only reason UPS isnt hurt is because they have the capital to pay the bills. Not to say that we dont have pay freezes or spending freezes but UPS has done well to adapt to todays economy IMO.

Yup they still do a fine job of losing packages and lying about delivery entries.

Suck it Nick you creepy little man boy.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Its funny how the Unions get blamed on destroying gm, and not the Ceo, and upper managment, if you all really believe that, you need a reality check.:thumb: Retirement is really killing gm, at having the most out of any automakers, but you cant just stop giving people retirement. For example, since the government is hurting for money, should we stop paying firefighters/policeman their retirement? I bet you guys say no right? If it was all the unions fault, Gm would have failed years ago, how long have they been union now? I dont buy it.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Its funny how the Unions get blamed on destroying gm, and not the Ceo, and upper managment, if you all really believe that, you need a reality check.:thumb: Retirement is really killing gm, at having the most out of any automakers, but you cant just stop giving people retirement. For example, since the government is hurting for money, should we stop paying firefighters/policeman their retirement? I bet you guys say no right? If it was all the unions fault, Gm would have failed years ago, how long have they been union now? I dont buy it.

I will disagree on that one. The Democrat Party, the party of Global Warming, the party that wants to eliminate cars, the party that is walking in lockstep with the UNIONS is destroying this country and destroyed many Airlines, Car Companies, and Manufacturing Facilities in the USA !

You don't want to hear it because you are a Union Member but when you have a person who retires and is still earning a nice pension with very comprehensive medical coverage and they are no longer working they are the problem for the companies. I tell you what, start a business instead of working for one, make a payroll every week, pay the un-employment ins, workers comp ins, disability ins, SS/Medicare %, pay the light bill, heat bill and liability ins on the building, pay all the costs of that and then add 30% more for the UNION's prevailing wage and then when your employeee retires keep on paying their medical and a nice paycheck every week or month.

Then let them collect for 20-30 years after they stopped working for you and you are still paying them. Tell me how long you think you can have that go on, and then have to deal with the very people you are supporting complain all the time that they are getting screwed by you. Let them complain that they worked for you so they are entitled to these lavish benefits you are supposed to keep giving them even when it makes your company non-competitive in the real world.

You want to know why the jobs went out of the country ?? Look around, America is cheap as far as what it wants to spend and pay, you want the best deal on everything you buy, you want it cheap if you can get it cheap so when a business has to compete they can't when they have to overpay for labor costs because of a Union. If you tell me that supply and demand economics works then you can't beleive in a Union because that goes against that very principle. I have looked at bidding prevailing wage jobs and it is not worth it, the cost to hire a "UNION" employee is outrageous once you figure in all the "extra's" they demand.

You have your view and I have mine, and yes the Unions destroyed GM/Chrysler and many other American business's with the higher costs and the legacy costs. Blame the CEO, why because he maybe got $20-30 million to run a multi-billion dollar company, hardly the reason. When a company has to build a POS car to meet emissions or fuel economy requirements the free market still works, people will and have refused to buy junk like that. When a company if free to deliver a product people want at a reasonable price they do very, very well and it has worked this way since Capitalism was invented, the problem is the Unions and the Government have forced the free market to no longer be free by changing the rules to suit them and their political allies.

;)

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Is GM's retirement setup not a 401K or something? Are they really having to pay retirement salaries out of income from today??? Or have they gotten their retirement 401K so wacked out much like social security and the people putting into it today, are paying the tab for the retired and their not putting in at the rate it's taken out so they won't have anything come time for them to retire???

Almost every business has a retirement program and many times, it still includes the benefits package for you until you croak. The fact they are paying retirement isn't a problem. The means in which they are paying may, in fact, be a problem though. And THAT falls back on the CEO or whomever is in charge of setting that up for the company. The inflated wage rates caused by the Unions just exxagerates the real issue at hand because it makes it a bigger pill to swallow.

And this is completely off topic but I did want to thank the McRats and admin and moderators for letting this one ride out a little bit. It's nice to see what the fellow folks of the site are thinking on some issues at hand these days. :hug:

C-ya

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Wow, before you union bash. think of times before organized labor. work sun rise to sunset for pennies. 7 day work weeks. you're hurt or sick you're fired. no benefits of any kind except maybe returning the next day. unsafe,unhealthy work conditions are a norm. "Over time" whats that? Think before you speak.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I didnt start this to be a big political thing. maybe it should be closed before god or buddah gets dragged in too. :(

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Is GM's retirement setup not a 401K or something? Are they really having to pay retirement salaries out of income from today??? Or have they gotten their retirement 401K so wacked out much like social security and the people putting into it today, are paying the tab for the retired and their not putting in at the rate it's taken out so they won't have anything come time for them to retire???

Almost every business has a retirement program and many times, it still includes the benefits package for you until you croak. The fact they are paying retirement isn't a problem. The means in which they are paying may, in fact, be a problem though. And THAT falls back on the CEO or whomever is in charge of setting that up for the company. The inflated wage rates caused by the Unions just exaggerates the real issue at hand because it makes it a bigger pill to swallow.

And this is completely off topic but I did want to thank the McRats and admin and moderators for letting this one ride out a little bit. It's nice to see what the fellow folks of the site are thinking on some issues at hand these days. :hug:

C-ya

Yes, thanks for letting this one run it's course !!!

IIRC GM offered defined pensions which means you get "X" amount based on what your defined pension is. It could be like a Municipal/Union Pension which pays you an average of you best 3 or 5 years, police pensions in CT are like that. It could be a % of your actual pay for life with survivor benefits.

If you have a defined pension your tax preparer/adviser can tell you if you then qualify for a 401K/SEP or Roth IRA as well.

And as far as I know GM was building cars and trucks and having to add in something like $1500/vehicle to cover legacy costs. It is a ponzi scheme like Social Security, there is no money to pay it from, it was a pay as you go if I am correct.

Wow, before you union bash. think of times before organized labor. work sun rise to sunset for pennies. 7 day work weeks. you're hurt or sick you're fired. no benefits of any kind except maybe returning the next day. unsafe,unhealthy work conditions are a norm. "Over time" whats that? Think before you speak.

Tell me that in the great depression that was the case and I will believe you, tell me that some jobs do suck and I'll believe you, tell me a Union worker has it rough and I would want proof.

Unions are good if they work with business to help them become successful, and for the most part the rank and file are good people, some are POS like you will find everywhere you look. The Union heads work in a counterproductive way with the business/public they serve.

Teachers Unions protect shitty teachers, Police/Firefighter Unions protect poor performing or dishonest members, Union rules prevent innovation because it might cost a job, efficiency is looked down upon because if you get effecient you might need less workers so Unions fight it tooth and nail.

Once you own a business or several as I do you get a sense of what it truly costs to run a business.

I didnt start this to be a big political thing. maybe it should be closed before god or buddah gets dragged in too. :(

Politics is why our country is screwed up. So when they fix the Politics the country will get fixed....................maybe.

:thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.