LLY: All 8 injectors bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Please don't drive that poor truck anymore LOL.... something is wrong with one or more injectors

It is parked for sure now...... You serious??? I am going to rip a hole in someone at that diesel shop if one of these brand new injectors are already broke. You think it would run if they gave me the wrong ones??? Like ones for a lmm or lbz?? I have no clue.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Have you checked the oil for fuel and or coolant. Did you even change the oil after all this work?

Oil level is fine, but I have NOT changed it yet. Doesn't seem to have any coolant in it. Level is the same as before the truck broke. Coolant, I refilled and bled before I drove it a little bit and got to wondering about this white smoke and why it isn't going away.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Raw diesel. It is getting WAY too much fuel for some reason. What sensor would cause that?? That is all i can think of, some sensor is messed up making it think for some reason it needs to just dump ungodly amounts of diesel in. It is definitely not coolant...

there IS NOT any sensor that would cause an "overfueling" at idle. Its not a gas engine. Something out of the ECM's control (physically wrong) is causing more fuel to be injected than teh ECM is desiring.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Looks like the same thing goes for gm motors.

looks like you shouldnt have filled your truck up with bad fuel.. :rolleyes:

let me guess, and now you're going around to all of your buddies and everyone you know telling them about what a piece of shit duramax's are. (but leaving out the part about what you ran through the fuel system) Not that I care, but I really cant see why you are getting so frustrated with this when first of all you are missing steps putting it back together (like when you were getting all heated up and I said "you probably didnt tighten something" and you insisted that it was the truck being stupid and you did everything correctly, only to find that something was loose afterall....)

Find a scan tool (Tech 2 or efilive) somehow. You are never going to be able to fix it until you do. Tell us what the desired/actual rail pressure is at idle, what the balance rates are, what the commanded fuel rate is, FRP regulator duty cycle/command, main inj timing, etc... There is a reason that its acting like this. I still think its a matter of you didnt clean out the entire fuel system as well as you said you did..... But thats just my own stupid opinion.

DONT just go wasting money on swapping a new engine in. There is nothing wrong with the engine internally; the long block is fine. Its not a head gasket, it SOUNDS like its running normally at idle and there isnt any extended cranking or stumbling. Did you ever do a compression test?

ben

Last edited:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
looks like you shouldnt have filled your truck up with bad fuel.. :rolleyes:

let me guess, and now you're going around to all of your buddies and everyone you know telling them about what a piece of shit duramax's are. (but leaving out the part about what you ran through the fuel system) Not that I care, but I really cant see why you are getting so frustrated with this when first of all you are missing steps putting it back together (like when you were getting all heated up and I said "you probably didnt tighten something" and you insisted that it was the truck being stupid and you did everything correctly, only to find that something was loose afterall....)

Find a scan tool (Tech 2 or efilive) somehow. You are never going to be able to fix it until you do. Tell us what the desired/actual rail pressure is at idle, what the balance rates are, what the commanded fuel rate is, FRP regulator duty cycle/command, main inj timing, etc... There is a reason that its acting like this. I still think its a matter of you didnt clean out the entire fuel system as well as you said you did..... But thats just my own stupid opinion.

DONT just go wasting money on swapping a new engine in. There is nothing wrong with the engine internally; the long block is fine. Its not a head gasket, it SOUNDS like its running normally at idle and there isnt any extended cranking or stumbling. Did you ever do a compression test?

ben

I DID do a compression test. All 8 were about 350-375 lbs, nothing abnormal I don't think. from one cylinder to each adjacent one I never saw any big drop in numbers. The high number I got was on #2. lowest was about 350 and that was on number 7. I think my head gaskets are fine.

I did clean out the fuel system completely. Believe what you want... I should have taken pictures or video and shown you what I did. Yeah ok I did forgot to tighten that little T50 drive pipe plug on the end of the rail, I am an idiot, yes, as bad a person as a illegal immigrant or random piece of crap homeless hobo under a bridge. I had taken the rails all apart on the bench and cleaned them all out, but I forgot that one little plug. That was several days before i put it back together, and I didn't even think about it during reassembly.

Soorrry! Nah I love the duramax, it is as bulletproof and as reliable as my 02 dodge with the cummins :rofl: If you go back and read, I couldn't even really find any water in the system, so I still don't really know what caused it. I just assumed bad diesel probably with water, because that is what my dozer mechanic buddies said must have been the cause then the guys at the injection shop said something messed them up, probably water, trash or something broke.

I did order one of those flashscan V2 efi live things the other day, so I should be bumbling my way through using it end of next week maybe. If my duramax mechanically incompetent self can figure out how to check for all those, I will post that up here.

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
Hey thanks for all the help you all, just wanted to update this thread if anyone cared about the outcome- I sold the truck this morning for scrap to a local junkyard... Why? Well, I paid a kid from the local votech to come take a look at the truck with the efi live thing i ordered. Turned out the something with the new CP3 pump's pressure relief valve was causing really really high rail pressure at idle and crazy high as rpms went up!! He said that some might be hanging up and causing all the white smoke... So, per his advice, I had the kid take the injectors I just bought back out of the truck and got them tested, and 4 were bad... The diesel injection shop said warranty approval from bosch could take 6 weeks plus shipping time... I Didn't want to spend another 1500 to 2000 for 4 more stupid crap-jectors, and I didn't want to wait 2 months... so I called up the local junkyard and told him all about it, he came out and looked it over, and gave me 7,500 for the piece of junk!!!!!! I am THRILLED!!!! :happy2::happy2:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
jesus man! i think it was better you got rid of the truck before you hurt it more. you my friend are no mechanic in todays day and age, only a parts replacer. as jordan said, go get yourself a 12v

:screwy::banghead::dr:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Sounds like you did the Duramax community a great favor. Hats off to the dealer that bought the truck for cheap and will get an easy runner.

Good luck with the Dodge. :hug:

brokentothemaxdiesel

On a Time Out
Jun 13, 2010
ur a damn retard!!!!!! WTF!!! You need to get your hillbilly ass an old crusty 12 valve they like getting parts thrown at them

Wow. Only on the internet....:eek: you sure wouldn't say that to my face.

jesus man! i think it was better you got rid of the truck before you hurt it more. you my friend are no mechanic in todays day and age, only a parts replacer. as jordan said, go get yourself a 12v

:screwy::banghead::dr:

Thanks for all your help, you were instrumental in the diagnosis.

Sounds like you did the Duramax community a great favor. Hats off to the dealer that bought the truck for cheap and will get an easy runner.

Good luck with the Dodge. :hug:

I have a 09 dodge with the cummins, and an 07 with the powerstroke, both have their little issues, mostly with the exhaust filters, but neither have been as bad as this 05. So, whatever you want to say :rofl:

Finally..... Someone close this and bury it!

Yes do that, we wouldn't want anybody who was considering buying a new Duramax to run across information like this, it might hurt sales... You guys like take personal offense to what I say about the engine, like it was your son or daughter I was criticizing. Get over it, I am not even sure why I am replying to this rude things you all have to say, you all act like I am some welfare abusing leach who lives under a bridge, when I am just another 53 year old, retired, balding, white guy who enjoys fishing and beer who had some problems with one of his trucks. Thanks a lot, I am really impressed with people nowdays, this is the last time I ever get on the internet for help, you people are as nasty as a crazed peach orchard boar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.