Oil choices for built engines

psyco66

Apr 14, 2008
San Mateo, CA
I run Chevron Delo 15 /40 in my truck and change the oil every 5000 miles. I have ran Delo 15 / 40 in my family tracktor trailers and one of the trucks has 398,000 last time I checked it and the motor still runs great. What is the hip about Rotello. I have never used it.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
What is the hip about Rotello. I have never used it.

It's been used in many a multi million mile engines that get severely abused and keep on running.....same as Delo. :D I think the hype is in the money spent for advertising.

I think it's a toss up between the two myself. I have always used Rotella just because my dad's used it in every truck and tractor he's ever owned and never had oil related issues, so I followed suit, but I also know many that will never use anything other than Delo and swear it's the best.:dontknow:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
if i were to use regular oil again it would be delo 400 from chevron. the tests i have seen make it better than most so called synthetics.

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
One of my customers has a 91 cummins with 880,000+ miles on it and has ran rotella since day one. The truck has been used in the oilfield since new, he wants to see how long that motor will run and thats the only reason he spends so much on the rest of the upkeep on this truck, 4 tcases, 3 tranny's, 6 rear ends, 3 alternators, 3 turbos, 2 injection pumps and still stock long block. Overhead done every 100k. His 03 d-max had 400k on it when an injector failed and took out one cylinder.

I run Royal purple 15/40 in the 07 and amsoil in the 06. The amsoil seems to hold up a little better to my diving habits.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Guys with built motors can you chime in here? Most of us dont have built motors and can only attest to what oil has worked well in a stocker. I sure as hell know nothing about it and like Travis said Id definately like to hear what you guys run.

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Guys with built motors can you chime in here? Most of us dont have built motors and can only attest to what oil has worked well in a stocker. I sure as hell know nothing about it and like Travis said Id definately like to hear what you guys run.

we build motors of all sorts and kinds we all ways break it in with regular delo( to allow for proper ring settlement), then put in amsoil or redline synthetic in and have never had issue with that procedure.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
One thing everbody is overlooking. What pistons are you running?

If your running a stock style casting with oil cooling in high preformance engine like I am you should really shy away from synthetics. Synthetics stand up to heat better by simply not absorbing heat nearly as well. This means your pistons will be cooled more effectivly with a Dino oil. This has been told to me by Mahle (Makers of the LB7/LLY pistons) and others.

Another thing to think about is your change intervals and how hard your running it. Take my truck for example. I doubt I will put 3000 miles on it this season . But the miles it gets will be hard. 300' feet at a time hopefully!:) My oil will need changed often simply to deal with the risk of fuel contamination.

I think synthetics are great but not for me. Pennzsoil 15-40 has served me very well over the years.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
My mains and rods bearing looked great, the piston no it was not, But I have ran 15-40 mobil delvac 1300 and changed every 3k.

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Right-on Johnboy!

Another thing ...........bearing clearance and oil type/viscosity should be looked at PRIOR to engine build.
IMO.....stock G.M. clearance= 15-40
xtra clearance.........= ?????..xtra viscosity
BIG fuel.................= change oil more often

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Pennzoil = Yellow Death, seen to many motors sludged up that have run Pennsludge. I'll stick with Rotella.

I have used it for years in both gassers and diesels. Every engine I have torn down looked great. I have torn down a CTD that ran all its life with Rotella in it. Looked great. Sludge IMHO is a sign that the engine was not taken care of. Needed oil changes more often.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Right-on Johnboy!

Another thing ...........bearing clearance and oil type/viscosity should be looked at PRIOR to engine build.
IMO.....stock G.M. clearance= 15-40
xtra clearance.........= ?????..xtra viscosity
BIG fuel.................= change oil more often

I am running 15-40 right now. My rod and clearences are opened up. So far I am not having oil pressure issues. But I have very little time on the engine. I will most likel have to go thicker when its fully broke in.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Pennzoil has too much paraffin wax in it, my No.1 hated oil! A buddie of mine tore a 4.3 caddy V-8 apart that quit, hsd been serviced religiously and well cared for exept the pennzoil he used. Pulled the valve covers off.... OMG, Can you say Jello Mold? A perfect sludge mold of the underside of the V/C !!!! Around all the rockers and valvetrain, Lifter valley was the same way, how it died?... imagine this... oil pump pick-up got clogged!

As a BMW tech, i see a lot of stupid S**t. Bimmer decided there oil was so good that the extended oil service interavals to 15,000 miles:eek: BMW's synthetic oil is good stuff, made by Castrol, but at 15K miles it sludges up too, just too long. and most bimmer owners are a little ignorant and generally go 1K-3K over the oil interaval. The customers wonder why the lifters tick or the Vanos is loud or freak when they hear how much the repair will cost! At our independant shop... reg oil @ 3000mls and synthetic @ 6000mls. Ive seen reg dino oil engines with 300,000+mls that were spotless inside and still had cross-hatch in the cylinders! Maintnance is everything!

So Ixnay on the pennzay!

I'd pass on "Q" too, IMO

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
So Ixnay on the pennzay!

I'd pass on "Q" too, IMO

I have never heard bad stuff about Pennz, but I have heard alot about Quaker State. Some of the old timers in the shop told me that back in the day that Q had alot of issues with sludge and it has given them a bad rap till this day.

I personally believe that sludge is from lack of maintanence.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
One thing everbody is overlooking. What pistons are you running?

If your running a stock style casting with oil cooling in high preformance engine like I am you should really shy away from synthetics. Synthetics stand up to heat better by simply not absorbing heat nearly as well. This means your pistons will be cooled more effectivly with a Dino oil. This has been told to me by Mahle (Makers of the LB7/LLY pistons) and others.

Another thing to think about is your change intervals and how hard your running it. Take my truck for example. I doubt I will put 3000 miles on it this season . But the miles it gets will be hard. 300' feet at a time hopefully!:) My oil will need changed often simply to deal with the risk of fuel contamination.

I think synthetics are great but not for me. Pennzsoil 15-40 has served me very well over the years.

only part of this is true,

regular oil has a temp life weather it's under psi or not, the average oil temp of a stock diesel with regular oil is about 220-250 depending on where you get your sample, regular oil starts to break down around 220* @ 0 psi. once more psi is introduced to the oil, I.E.pushed thrue the oil circulation system, the oil becomes more unstable, taking away yet even more of the saftey buffer zone. higher rpm, high egt's, high boost, higher engine temp. ect will all contribute to a far worse oiling condition for the engine.

regular oil has no more heat carring abilities that synthetics, the only difference is that synthetics can take way more heat before they will start to breakdown, oxidise,sludge up, increase friction, and wear your engine . thats why the most expensive forms of racing and even military or nasa jet engines use synthetics from a tier 4, or 5 catagory and nothing less!!

for mahle to tell you that regular oil carries more heat away boggles my mind because it's simply not true and cant be backed up or verified by ANY testing method that i have ever seen. i suspect that you talked with some one not in the know.......

i only say this because we all know that the oil temps in the piston, exhaust area are way higher than the rest of the system and a diesel will produce temps above 300* + oil temps in that area, and regular oil is very , very close to complete breakdown at that temp, while a true synthetic tier 4 will not even start to breakdown untill about 390-430*+ oil temp, tier 5 or pure easter can go into the 500*+ range and not skip a beat.

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
wade

IR the supply line to a turbo and the dicharge line of the same turbo.

oil is the first medium in an engine to remove heat from said moving parts
second is water/coolant
third is air flow over the surfaces