Oil choices for built engines

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
This is not something you here alot of people talk about. What are guys doing for engine oil after these high dollar engine builds? With these motors built with looser tolerances for more rpm and etc... What is everyones oil choice?

I have seen and heard things good and bad about all engine oils. People say that full synthetic will not stand up to harsh abuse of a built motor which I have seen first hand. People say that rotella will not hold up but then some people swear by it. There must be a dozen other 15w engine oils for our trucks that I dont know anything about. So which one is everyone using?

Also when does changing oil weight come into play. With increased tolerances in the motor should the oil weight not go up also? I have heard that Scheid runs 50w mixed with lucas oil stabilizer in there pulling trucks and it gets changed every 3 pulls.

Then another topic is how often is the oils getting changed? I think Steve (freightrain) changed his oil after every pull, and look at how well his motor lived.

Sorry for the rant just thinking about meticulous stuff that no one ever talks about.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Not a diesel but, we ran 50w or 60w Valvoline VR-1 race oil in our pro-mod. Changed it prolly every 2-3 runs. That engine must not be lugged down below 6K rpm or it eats parts cause the engines design is as a "floater". It runs 90 psi at idle and up to 190-200 @ WOT! That is some tough conventional oil! Our competition uses it too and hes a regular divisonal points leader/record holder. I have used that oil in my d-max with no issues while fighting diesel in the oil, holds up well to dilution. I suspect it would be great in highly modded engines, IMO

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Not a diesel but, we ran 50w or 60w Valvoline VR-1 race oil in our pro-mod. Changed it prolly every 2-3 runs. That engine must not be lugged down below 6K rpm or it eats parts cause the engines design is as a "floater". It runs 90 psi at idle and up to 190-200 @ WOT! That is some tough conventional oil! Our competition uses it too and hes a regular divisonal points leader/record holder. I have used that oil in my d-max with no issues while fighting diesel in the oil, holds up well to dilution. I suspect it would be great in highly modded engines, IMO

that is something that i woudl seriously look into especially with the LB7.
fuel delution was the main reason i lost my block then crank... 1 part oil 2 parts fuel and im sure coolent helped it along as welll

5% fuel dilution is the norm max

how much does it run mouse?

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
interesting topic i am now in the market for new oil because of the changes Rotella made. since my truck is worked very hard everyday and i am wondering if 50w is better. i guess it is something to think about.:dontknow:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Yup, 50w VR-1 in there right now! I cant remember how much the stuff costs, got a bunch for the pro-mod and since were not racing, i fugured what the hell, why not! I honestly love the stuff, as may times as i've dumped diesel in the oil (and in large amounts multiple times while driving hard!) I honestly think it has been my saving grace, well the FS-2500 too! I've had over a gallon of diesel in the oil a few times ( I know shame on me!) and she still runs like a top. If it ever lets go it will be from too much power on stock stuff, not my oil issues IMO. I don't bother with oil analisis, i go with what i see,feel, and hear on mine, and it is a little quieter with the heavy oil in it. I just checked to make sure and i'm actually running our VR-1 60w :eek: in there now, also with no issues! I have a $120+ dollar case of New CJ-4 Amsoil for the new trucks that i was going to switch too but i still haven't. :angel:

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I'll leave the oil stuff to the people who make it. They make oil for all the diesels running around the world.
If there was a problem with oil not doing it's job, we would have heard about it.
I run 15-40 Rotella...work's (d) for me. Change it often. Oil is cheap, parts are not.
Is a straight weight oil better? Couldm't tell you..............

turk walker

Dec 16, 2006
gillette,wyoming
just got done rebuilding my engine,due to head gasket failure.
Have been running rotella 15-40 since day one changing every 5000 miles currently I have 151,000. Engine looked perfect inside and cross hatches were still visible.
So why change? I'm going to continue running the cheap stuff.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
just got done rebuilding my engine,due to head gasket failure.
Have been running rotella 15-40 since day one changing every 5000 miles currently I have 151,000. Engine looked perfect inside and cross hatches were still visible.
So why change? I'm going to continue running the cheap stuff.

Thanks for the info Tom...Good to see you here...

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I've run Delo most of the time, Delavac "synthetic" blows the dipstick, more than once, I have had Rotella in for the last 3 changes and all is ok, dipstick is staying put, but ECT seems to run a few degrees higher. Nearly 100,000 miles on the motor.:)

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
I run amsoil 15-40 full synthetic in my puller, with an amsoil EAO filter. I change it out once a year, but now it's almost strictly a pulling truck so it doesn't see very many miles, but it sees at least 20 hooks a season.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
piston to wall clearance, ring end gap, bearing clearances,valve train type, piston type, RPM and oil psi should all play a big role in what oil you put in a "race" motor. i would definatly not use regular oil in any one of my race engines, amsoil or redline is all i have ever trusted.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
piston to wall clearance, ring end gap, bearing clearances,valve train type, piston type, RPM and oil psi should all play a big role in what oil you put in a "race" motor. i would definatly not use regular oil in any one of my race engines, amsoil or redline is all i have ever trusted.

Amsoil.... what flavor?

and how would someone go about figuring out the best oil with a race engine?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Amsoil.... what flavor?

and how would someone go about figuring out the best oil with a race engine?

personally i have my own science to building my motors, and it's working well.

if you have a builder build you one he/she should tell you what grade,type and brand of oil they will stand behind.

personally i have never seen a need to go beyond a amsoil/ redline 15-40 weight for a diesel, unless you run tighter clearences, then we look into a 5-30HD from amsoil. gas engines are built quite different and ive talked to builders that reccomend viscosity ranging from 0-20 up to straight 60w.

in short words:
typically sled pulling requires more clearence in the motor and thicker oil.
drag not as much clearance as pulling but(sometimes tighter than stock) so a thinner oil would be needed. but like i said before there is a lot of factoring that goes into a race engine, why should your oil be any different?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
personally i have my own science to building my motors, and it's working well.

if you have a builder build you one he/she should tell you what grade,type and brand of oil they will stand behind.

personally i have never seen a need to go beyond a amsoil/ redline 15-40 weight for a diesel, unless you run tighter clearences, then we look into a 5-30HD from amsoil. gas engines are built quite different and ive talked to builders that reccomend viscosity ranging from 0-20 up to straight 60w.

in short words:
typically sled pulling requires more clearence in the motor and thicker oil.
drag not as much clearance as pulling but(sometimes tighter than stock) so a thinner oil would be needed. but like i said before there is a lot of factoring that goes into a race engine, why should your oil be any different?

I am the builder:rofl:

But thanks for the reply

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
I've been doing some inquiring into this and I think I've got the right answer.............I'll report back in about 200,000 mi.!!:D

Seriously, my sources tell me that synthetic is a bad idea for those of us with 'big' power.
15-40 is a given here in our climate.
The key is to shorten the service interval, as prev. mentioned.