Oil choices for built engines

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
wade

IR the supply line to a turbo and the dicharge line of the same turbo.

oil is the first medium in an engine to remove heat from said moving parts
second is water/coolant
third is air flow over the surfaces

true, except the water will remove more heat than the oil, only because of it's over all volume compared to oil and the heat dispersion rate difference

this is why the rule of thumb came about.........."wait untill 300* to shut your truck off " mailnly because regular oil WILL sludge up in the turbo and cause an oil restriction and or bearing failure...

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
In a Dmax with the stock oil cooler I have never seen the oil temps any more than 10* over coolant temp. The Dmax oil cooler is very productive. I have never seen temps that high on my LB7.

As for what Mahle told me. It is true. They have told others and myyself the same thing. They make the pistons in my truck so I follow there advice. I have nothing against synthetics. I ran Mobil 1 in my Buick GN with great sucess. I have used Amsoil, Belray, Maxima oils. All where fine. In my case where the oil will get polluted with fuel often. Needing all 10 quarts change after less than 1 hours of run time synthetics are just not practical. In my 07 I would try them. But I keep 15-40 here by the 55 gallon drum with all the trucka and tractors.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
john
i have seen oil temps push 220* at the filter before it runs through the cooler.

i have also watch oil pressure drop when going up a grade and egt were @1200* then drop back down to 700* after cresting the hill and oil preussre comes back the 10-15psi i lost going up the grade.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Wow!

On my stock engine I always had at least 40 psi. Right know with the opened clearences with 195 water temp it idles with 35psi

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Personally have logged oil rising past 340 on sustained full loads, LLY's get warmer than the others. That is a reading of bulk oil pre-cooler. I can only speculate how much higher is it locally, in the bearing, or under piston.

But at 340, viscosity is getting hydrodynamically worthless,

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Personally have logged oil rising past 340 on sustained full loads, LLY's get warmer than the others. That is a reading of bulk oil pre-cooler. I can only speculate how much higher is it locally, in the bearing, or under piston.

But at 340, viscosity is getting hydrodynamically worthless,

exactly, on my personal cummins oil temps used to get about 270 ish with regular fluid. once i changed to amsoil the temps have not risen above 240 ish* and thats racing with a 10 second truck....

granted a d-max has more moving parts and less of an oiling system in stock form compared to the cummins

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
granted a d-max has more moving parts and less of an oiling system in stock form compared to the cummins

i wouldnt go that far.

iirc the dmax doesn run a priotity oiling system but more of a manifod setup. were it goes into the galleray on the bottom side fo the block skirt then hits mains, cam, piston sqquirted, all at the same time. OEM location the turbo is supplied after the oil goes through #4 cam bearing

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Somer of you guys might look into trying the Valvoline VR-1 oil im running, 50w. All i know is i have had severly diluted oil prolly 5-6 times from hi-psi fuel leaks, i thing that stuff hass been my savior. I'll say this much... we run it in our $75,000+ pro-mod engine!
It is a solid alum block, NO Coolant, its cooled by the fuel and it's oil supply which ain't much! We launched @ almost 6000rpm, shift at 9500 and through the traps at over 10K, all of this from a 526ci ARIAS Hemi! That sucker has a billet crank that weighs about
100lb, huge alum rods & pistons, and a most wear unfriendly valvetrain, that fellas is ALOT of RPM coming from such a massive engine (weight around 900lb w/ blower). If the engine RPM falls below 5500 with a load on or it will eat bearings. idle oil psi is around 90psi and around 190psi @ WOT. Oil is the most critical part of this engine, you'll be hard pressed to find somthin that hard or harder on the oil! It survives it's abuse and has done well in the LB7 for me, just my .02;)

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Somer of you guys might look into trying the Valvoline VR-1 oil im running, 50w. All i know is i have had severly diluted oil prolly 5-6 times from hi-psi fuel leaks, i thing that stuff hass been my savior. I'll say this much... we run it in our $75,000+ pro-mod engine!
It is a solid alum block, NO Coolant, its cooled by the fuel and it's oil supply which ain't much! We launched @ almost 6000rpm, shift at 9500 and through the traps at over 10K, all of this from a 526ci ARIAS Hemi! That sucker has a billet crank that weighs about
100lb, huge alum rods & pistons, and a most wear unfriendly valvetrain, that fellas is ALOT of RPM coming from such a massive engine (weight around 900lb w/ blower). If the engine RPM falls below 5500 with a load on or it will eat bearings. idle oil psi is around 90psi and around 190psi @ WOT. Oil is the most critical part of this engine, you'll be hard pressed to find somthin that hard or harder on the oil! It survives it's abuse and has done well in the LB7 for me, just my .02;)

true it is a good oil for racing. lots of people use it.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I've never seen any oil related, bearing issues on these motors under 700 hp.
Except for those running with fuel in the oil.
I've heard of the main caps shifting and causing issues on some motors over 800.

The real area of concern is the turbo thrust bearing. If you are oiling the turbo from the stock galley source, then you are asking for premature wear and also the possibility of having a cam bearing issue.
A much better supply for the turbo is from the Block galley. There is a great tap source on the pass side, lower front of block. 14mm galley plug. Might be a 15mm, can't remember.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I've never seen any oil related, bearing issues on these motors under 700 hp.
Except for those running with fuel in the oil.
I've heard of the main caps shifting and causing issues on some motors over 800.

The real area of concern is the turbo thrust bearing. If you are oiling the turbo from the stock galley source, then you are asking for premature wear and also the possibility of having a cam bearing issue.
A much better supply for the turbo is from the Block galley. There is a great tap source on the pass side, lower front of block. 14mm galley plug. Might be a 15mm, can't remember.

I am getting my turbo oil from that spot also

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Cen-Pe-Co 20W-50 racing oil.
I thought that the Valvaline 20W-50 VR1 would work well..........but it 'broke-down' to a very thin viscosity and turned black in VERY short time!:eek:
I tried some other oils not really worth mentioning.
Cen-Pe-Co also has straight-weight oils that I would prefer to run........but I need to have cold weather starting.........I hope that the 20W-50 works through the winter. I'll know in a few months.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
15w40 ambrea oil what i use and it work great if its good enough for a 300,000 tractor then its good enough for my built motor.