WOW. Read this.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
WOW ......

If ATS did really do this, I think they missed with the knife. Rather than cutting the other people's neck, I think they cut their own bag. :mad:

:boxing:

On edit, this puts burkhart and some others in a tough spot? No?

Last edited:

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Anne Wick
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (Mail Code 2242A)
Diesel Engine Consent Decree Coordinator
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460-0001

Dear Anne:

I would like to start by thanking you for speaking with Stewart Cables and myself at SEMA. You and your team did a very good job of preventing the meeting attendees from rioting!

As you may or may not be aware, ATS Diesel has been working on certain emission technologies to better our niche in the diesel community. Currently, we’re funding and developing a very expensive Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) technology; this product will allow more efficient flow, resulting in better fuel mileage and lower emissions than today’s technology. ATS’ profits are funding the majority of this project’s development budget.

A serious concern that we have — and dramatically affects the development of our new high flow DPF -- is the presence of so-called “DPF Delete Kits” on the market. Right now consumers are looking for a solution to the problematic factory DPF exhaust systems, and a few companies out there are manufacturing and/or selling these DPF delete kits for a very low margin.

As you’re aware, the main problem with DPF delete kits is this: for every illegal kit sold, research money is not invested into a real “fix” for the consumer’s problem. EPA has made it clear to the diesel manufacturing industry, in no uncertain terms, that DPF removal is illegal. However, at this time, EPA has been unable to enforce its regulations to get these illegal DPF delete kits off the street. When we spoke a few weeks ago, you mentioned that the EPA can only enforce so many of its regulations right now, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to track offenders (whether they be manufacturers, resellers, or end users).

ATS has prepared a list of the larger DPF Delete kit manufacturers and resellers, gleaned from our knowledge of the industry, for you. We’ve also included support documentation for your convenience. A few of these act as resellers (in place of manufacturers) in an attempt to hide behind a “shell corporation.” Performance Diesel, Inc. (“PDI”) in St. George, Utah is one of these companies. Jared Wittwer, the owner of PDI, is also the creator of H&S Performance, (www.hsperformance.net). All of these kits are assembled at PDI in Utah and sold through PDI as though H&S Performance manufactures them. Attached is a copy of one of the receipts PDI invoices on; the part number should easily be used to help track down additional units that PDI or H&S have sold over the last year. We have been told by PDI’s manager that they sell over 100 units per month.

ATS is relying on the EPA to enforce its rules on this matter so we can generate enough revenue to properly manufacture a “fix” to the DPF problem. The word in our industry is that 1) if you don’t manufacture, you are allowed to resell, install, and use, and 2) manufacturers or resellers can hide behind the “Race Only’ labeling that the products are sold under. The fact is, and as I’m sure you know, nearly all of these kits are being used for on road trucks. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Clint Cannon and Stewart Cables
for ATS Diesel Performance

(for those of you wondering about the xxxxx'd out things)

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
I got a Pm from Bryan at ats over on dp? I don't know why I got one. My and a Mod did. I have nothing ats and don't know why I did. I just said if it weren't true there'd be someone explaining what is going on.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
[I
(for those of you wondering about the xxxxx'd out things)

[/B][/I]

That's what I was trying to say how I thought it was amusing that somebody XXXed out that stuff.

Like you can't Google and find a name for somebody in the Government. That's the first thing I did..... what a title..... diesel whaa huh? :rofl:

Last edited:

04llygmc

Jan 10, 2007
Argos, Indiana
Kind of curious how many exhaust kits they have sold for newer trucks that eliminate the cat? Did they tell the owner of the truck that this was illegal and they recommend they leave the converter on?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Big surprise that ATS would pull this :rolleyes: This should hopefully put the nail in the coffin, a simple name change like the other 10 or so won't fix it this time.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
H&S's response
"First and foremost Clint Cannon, before you go to the trouble of writing an official letter to the government, you should do some fact-checking. There are flaws in many of your so-called "facts". A quick internet search will dis-prove some of these "facts". PDI, Inc has never held any stake or ownership in H&S Performance, LLC, hsperformance.net, or hs-performance.com. So please, do your homework first. Second of all, I'm not sure why you are so boldly touting that "ATS's profits are funding the 'majority' of the research for new DPF technology." Who else would you expect to? Taxpayers? Why should the rest of us pay for YOUR research so that YOU can make money in the end?! Do we get a cut of the profits when you sell it?! Also, you claim that current products are selling at very low profit margins. Is it not our right as Americans who live in a FREE capitalistic country to invent and sell products at whatever price we deem fair and marketable?
As for the issue pertaining to the legality of aftermarket products, if what you are calling for is true, EVERY aftermarket performance chip, performance module, cold air intake, exhaust system, etc would be illegal to make or sell. I will go even a step further. EVERY product EVER manufactured is illegal. The truck you drive is illegal because it can go faster than 75MPH. There are NO roads in the U.S. that allow you to drive faster than 75MPH but I assure you your pickup is capable of exceeding 75MPH. What about knives or guns? They are capable of helping you break the law, but they are still sold nationwide. The comparison I would like to make is with alcohol sales. You present proper ID, and you buy it. If you choose to use it to break the law that is your right. It is the same with aftermarket parts. You sign a form saying you are responsible for your actions, and it is sold to you. What you are saying is that we cannot make parts to fuel the racing spirit of competition that has been a part of American lives since the advent of the automobile. You sir are the one in the wrong here."

BAP's response
This is not the first time a letter of this kind has come from the ATS home.
Some of you may remember a while back there was another letter written to the NHRA requesting that any of the trucks that smoke not be allowed to participate in any NHRA events.

For any of you guys that have talked with Travis or Myself you know that we have said from the beginning that our goal is to have an EPA approved system for the 6.7 and have been in meetings with two companies over the past several months that build aftermarket after treatment system for the light duty trucks.

I would like to point out a few things about this letter

1. As you may or may not be aware, ATS Diesel has been working on certain emission technologies to better our niche in the diesel community. Currently, we’re funding and developing a very expensive Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) technology; this product will allow more efficient flow, resulting in better fuel mileage and lower emissions than today’s technology. ATS’ profits are funding the majority of this project’s development budget.

If your as far along enough in your testing to say it is better than anything in todays technology and the EPA may or may not know about your testing there is something seriously wrong with your approach if you want it approved by the EPA. This technology has cost the big three millions of dollars to develop and they had government funding so how are you going to fund it all on your own and then sell an efficient reasonably priced system that someone can afford?

2. As you’re aware, the main problem with DPF delete kits is this: for every illegal kit sold, research money is not invested into a real “fix” for the consumer’s problem. EPA has made it clear to the diesel manufacturing industry, in no uncertain terms, that DPF removal is illegal. However, at this time, EPA has been unable to enforce its regulations to get these illegal DPF delete kits off the street. When we spoke a few weeks ago, you mentioned that the EPA can only enforce so many of its regulations right now, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to track offenders (whether they be manufacturers, resellers, or end users).

I still cant get this part through my head
How is it that we are to blame for your slump in business and should we also send letters to the EPA for some of the things you have done on race applications that are not to be driven on the street.

Again ATS is not the only company pursuing an approved high flow design after treatment system for our trucks and we (BADP)plan to have both and as long we show that we have both solutions you can run the delete on your race truck and the emissions approved on your street truck.

Ats is not innocent when it comes to delete kits and race style products that are designed to be on the race track only. I personally know of one of their trucks that tested one of our kits so Clint you may want to clean that brown stuff off of your nose and quit acting like your not involved in this.

I just received Info that my company may have also been named in this or maybe a second letter and if it was MR Clint the fun has only just begun for you.

I want to make myself clear on the last part of this post this is not a threat to physically harm you I am simply saying that you are not the only one with money and lawyers.

Shane

for you guys :hug:

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
Maybe ATS can supply the Class 8 Market. :rofl:

The California Air Resources Board Friday adopted the strictest diesel emission standards in the nation, requiring expensive diesel particulate filters on rigs on a timetable, over objections the rule could hurt or shut down smaller trucking companies, the Associated Press reported.

Starting in 2011, the new rules will speed up the replacement of thousands of older trucks and buses that are not as clean as newer models that have tougher, federally mandated emissions standards, AP said.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2011, the rule will require truck owners to install diesel exhaust filters on their rigs, with nearly all vehicles upgraded by 2014, CARB said in a statement.

Truck owners also must replace engines older than the 2010 model year according to a staggered implementation schedule that extends from 2012 to 2022, the agency said.

Many trucking companies say they cannot afford to comply, including one trucker who estimated it would cost him $7 million to replace 26 of his 35 trucks by 2014, AP reported.

Ron Faulkner, president of Tulare, Calif.-based Faulkner Trucking, estimated it would cost $7 million to replace 26 of his 35 older trucks by 2014 and that he did not know if he could afford it, since his company turns a profit of just $50,000 a year, AP said.

The regulation came a day after CARB adopted a sweeping plan to reduce the state’s greenhouse gases, AP reported.

By Transport Topics
http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=20976