Wish you never built your motor?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Now dont you guys discourage me:mad: Rods and pistons showed up this week:D Still trying to find the money tree as well:(

Lol, you dont have to push the aftermarket stuff to the brink of failure too:hug:
650 whp on custom rods and pistons should be as relaible as a 450-500whp stocker, with the proper tune and supporting mods, remember its not making the power thats the hard part

It s addressing every fine detail, and not cutting corners, the bigger issue at hand is the cost involved to actually do just that, that is why when i say my engeine build (complete to the last bolt belt and labor bill) will be 25k, other guys laugh and say its too expensive and i am out in left feild, and have spent too much to get the power i have(or dont have) but i dont loose sleep at night (at least not because of my truck)and worry about no noises when i drive, once you do one thing it will always lead to another, you practically have to replace EVERYTHING with upgraded parts if you want a "reliable" truck with stock like manners, with big power, make no mistake, 650whp on the street is big power, sure other have claimed to scrapbook a "built" high horse truck for pennies, compared to what i have spent, but i am pretty certian my truck will run smoother, quieter, probably faster and out live those guys, maybe not, im probably just telling myself that so i feel justified in spending the money i have:baby::rofl::eek:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Im setting at 500+rwhp and I told myself no more go fast goodies for the truck................So i bought a Yamaha R6. That satisfies the itch. :D

I just bought a 22' Mako with a 250 Yamaha 4stroke.:eek: In case you don't know it's the equivalent to your street bike on the water, way over powered...:D

I think I will have more fun with it this summer than a 700 rwhp Duramax...;)

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I have two stock motor trucks, LB7 and LBZ.

I am going to do a mild "budget build" on the 2002, it will be keyed, rods, new pistons, new cam, stage 1 heads and a small set of twins with 40-60 over sticks.

I just don't see the need to go crazy on a street truck, a full out race truck is a different story.

The LBZ will stay stock as it's going to get sold in the next 2-3 years and replaced with something else.

Or I might get rid of both an buy an LML Denali and call it a day.

:thumb:

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
what did you bend rods at?? And you had a stock turbo when it happened? All this motor rebuild talk has me worried to turn mine up to a stock turbo max effort tune...

I did the max effort, stock turbo(444/960). Max effort wasn't in there for daily driving, but it had been tuned for 4 years with various tunes by reputable tuners. Then one day last summer on a tow tune, pulling the trailer back to storage yard, the engine let go.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I wish :rofl:
Now I have very expensive 9 second street truck with flame painting sitting in back of my yard, half meter snow on it, and no interest of driving or wrenching it.

It was fun to make it and build different setups, but I wouldnt do it again. :spit:
And yes, i am old. I was 38 when I bought truck and begin to build it step by step, now 46 and only thinking my slow Audi could have some more power :)

Last edited:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
There are some things I would change, but I would build the engine again. If (really when) this one lets go I will build another and put it in. Just know what the goals of the truck are, and know that the more you beat on it or push it the sooner you go back into it. It also helps to have another DD that you can just put the miles on

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
As I read thread correct, every 11 sec or slower truck builder is happy with build and would make it again.
10 sec and faster builders are maybe older, because many of them wouldnt do it again, including me :roflmao:

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012
I just bought a 22' Mako with a 250 Yamaha 4stroke.:eek: In case you don't know it's the equivalent to your street bike on the water, way over powered...:D

I think I will have more fun with it this summer than a 700 rwhp Duramax...;)

Damn that's a lot of motor for a little c/c. Bet when she planes out with that heavy ass 4-stroke she's an absolute blast....
Isn't the transom rated for like 135? Haha.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
As I read thread correct, every 11 sec or slower truck builder is happy with build and would make it again.
10 sec and faster builders are maybe older, because many of them wouldnt do it again, including me :roflmao:

I know what I will never do again - NEVER BUY A BUILT MOTOR AND NOT CHECK IT YOURSELF.

I will continue to build my own motors and transmissions and continue to further my knowledge and try new things. It's expensive and time consuming, but what better to learn about than what you love?

Tim

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Damn that's a lot of motor for a little c/c. Bet when she planes out with that heavy ass 4-stroke she's an absolute blast....
Isn't the transom rated for like 135? Haha.

Actually it's rated for 230 hp. It has no issues with the weight and it comes out of the hole like you were shot out of a gun. I had the prop T2ed along with a few other tricks;), let's just say I have hurt a few fountains and Yellowfin owners feelings with it... Lol...:rofl:

It's pretty dangerous to be honest but that's the way I like it...:woott:

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I did the max effort, stock turbo(444/960). Max effort wasn't in there for daily driving, but it had been tuned for 4 years with various tunes by reputable tuners. Then one day last summer on a tow tune, pulling the trailer back to storage yard, the engine let go.

What exactly let go at 450hp? I know weight towing and all that play into the abuse but Im curious to know what happened in your case.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND

well I could be 10 sec if I wasn't retarded and had it in a 8000lb lifted truck! One thing I would say to the guys that want a good high HP DD truck, over build it, be smart about how you build it (you will spend more $$$ for the same HP that someone has on the track for less) and keep the tune turned down (so don't try to get every little bit of power that you can) and you will be better off

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:approved::werd::smart:

:cheerleader:

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I had the hold on a second with my LBZ big spend on the super build it's a fever we have in here. Well I went to the local big Chevy dealer and they had two new Camaros in the lot a ZL1 and a 1LE. ZL1 has supercharger and 1LE doesn't anyway after test driving these two models of new Camaro that weigh like 4k lbs. For the money I'm now convinced to leave my LBZ tow tuned bit hi maybe and get the new Camaro they work great for my thrills and chills and have warranties either way you go. 1LE is like $38k and ZL1 is $56k but if you read the Chevy High Perf. and Camaro Performers magazines and websites put out by same Petersen Publishing that does Diesel Power anyway they have good articles and specs times and all the starting info I don't want to not have a truck with all that money in it that breaks and then back to the drawing board. Just what I discovered do your trucks if that's your goal and enjoy. I have the perfect truck already if I just leave it with the things I did to make itgive 475 hp and 700 tq on Dynojet with EFI tuner done deal at Denver altitude. I'd say go drive these cars for the fun of a new feel under your butt you will go HOLY CHIT and it's got a warranty. I'm sure the haters and slammers are next on this but I don't care I had a blast. Now I want to go drive that new Corvette Stingray that just popped. Hard to decide on where to take the habit of fast.

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I loved my 1st motor. Budget built spray and pray engine that survived 13,000 miles of my right foot and I was NOT easy on it.

I got bored of it and sold it all..

:roflmao: