Wish you never built your motor?

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
I still say the best bang for the buck, and the most fun I had with my truck, was stock turbo, built trans, and lift pump. Around 500hp or so, I ran high 12s, and you can't beat the responsiveness of the stock VVT on the street. Not to mention it sounds pretty mean! I have a few friends with LBZs who have done lift pumps and we put PPE kits in their transmissions, and I always tell them to stop there!!

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Based off the 1/4 mile times and weight of the truck, I'm up over 800RWHP. But I went with a setup that allows me to drive it like a normal truck. It did cost me more money (triple turbo over a big single or twins etc). It is all about time spent up at that high HP IMHO. If I drive around on a 550 HP tune all the time, don't beat on it too much then swap the TCM out for fun when I go to the track I think it will last me a while. I have 20-25K miles on the build and drive it every day.
But yes, it is a money pit

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
He broke his crank...:mad:

That's why he is asking this question...

Snapped the crank in my mild built motor. Carillos, cut cast, keyed, head/main stud.

I threw in a core lbz I had. Completely stock(never even pulled the heads) it is running the updated gaskets. I run all my fuel and air on it and turned the tuning back a little, run a ML converter instead of 1053. This thing is a freakin riot! I honestly don't think I will build a motor for it. I doesn't have quite the power, but still more then enough.

Think the motor money will go into a ls something, with half the weight

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I read about all these people that want 1000hp dd and I just laugh! Anyone that has tried this can vouch that its ju st a money pit!

:thumb: My DD isn't 1000hp, but I think you are right on.

For those that are thinking about a 1000hp truck, I can save you a lot of time.

1. Figure out how much you think it will cost to build your truck
2. Multiply that number by 3 then add $10.
3. Go to your bank and withdraw that much money
4. Use your $10 from above to buy a gallon of gas and a road flare
5. Put money in a pile in your driveway, soak with gas.
6. Ignite pile of money with road flare.
7. Now drive your perfectly good truck to the edge of a cliff.
8. Roll truck over cliff
9. Recover wrecked truck
10. Sell truck for $400

See 10 easy steps and it gets you to the same place. :baby:

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Im setting at 500+rwhp and I told myself no more go fast goodies for the truck................So i bought a Yamaha R6. That satisfies the itch. :D

This is funny bc even my truck with a 1000hp still can never beat my r1 that sits right next to it in the garage.:rofl: and i wounder why i spend so much money to try ad make my truck run just as fast but i guess you cant bring your money to the grave so thats why i have both.:thumb:

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
I'm putting my s475 on and its staying right there with stock fueling. I think the motor will last awhile but who knows it does have 350 k on it. If the motor goes I will put better rods in it but that's it. I talked myself out of a 1,000 hp truck along time ago.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
This is funny bc even my truck with a 1000hp still can never beat my r1 that sits right next to it in the garage.:rofl: and i wounder why i spend so much money to try ad make my truck run just as fast but i guess you cant bring your money to the grave so thats why i have both.:thumb:

Exactly :hug:

My R6 gets me in enough trouble, I can't imagine 400 more cc's.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
How much power do you guys tow at, with a built engine? I will never know how it was at stocks, I feel deprived.:spit:How much fun is it to drive a 600 Hp every day, that is what i am looking for in the end.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
How much power do you guys tow at, with a built engine? I will never know how it was at stocks, I feel deprived.:spit:How much fun is it to drive a 600 Hp every day, that is what i am looking for in the end.

I tow/DD on the same tune that runs 11.8x. Roughly 685ish. No DSP here either. I havent changed tunes since last August. It's a handful when its wet out and if you go past half throttle you better have some room. My truck was fun at 600 and it seemed like I could use the power more often without worrying about hurting myself or others.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I honestly wish i didnt build the motor in both trucks and didnt make the white thing a full blown race truck

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I bought my truck instead of a two door car, and with a fast truck that can haul most thing, and four other people, I am not upset that where my money is going.:thumb: One of my friends traded his 05 GTO for a 6.4 Powerstroke and with exhaust, intake and Mini Max with some tuning via MCC it will run times faster then the GTO would go before. :woott:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Made the choice to leave truck basically stock, otherwise... it would be a built trans, and then since the trans is built.. turn up the tune. etc etc..

The street car gets to live that wet slope... thing hasn't even started or run a 1/4 yet and I am looking at PT88's :D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
:roflmao:.....and you guys all thought I was nuts doing what I was doing. 525rwhp can be very fun...:roflmao:

But Id love to park BBT now and drive a TDI to work.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I just dont see why you guys build those heavy 4x4s. :rolleyes: I would love to build my motor but after seeing all the other weak points beyond the motor made me realize that I could not afford the rest. Seams like one thing after another.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I wouldn't have built my motor if I hadn't had the bearing failure from the broken convertor. It was a blast stock and I hardly ever ran more than 500hp because that was unsafe as hell on the street in a lowered 2wd 6000lb truck, lol! But it is my shop truck and used for parts testing so I built it to push parts to their limits but I am tired of working on it honestly. I have worked on it more times in the last 6 months then the entire first 3yrs of having it. If/when I do the railcar project I am pulling this motor out of my truck and dropping a stock one back in it and just driving it!

emiller3

He's Back
Feb 21, 2009
lake charles,LA.
I love my built motor for everyday use other than for fuel mileage reasons witch stay around 16-17 mpg. The tune that stays in the truck everyday gets used for towing and also runs 11.5?. Would love to keep it in the 4 door but do plan on swapping it into the single cab