Wish you never built your motor?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I was very happy with my 366 and the money pit part hurts and I also probably would have built the motor itself but the 366 was a lot of fun, I think a 475 over the 366 would make a great street truck.But this is where I'm at now so no looking back now.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The way i looked at it, i wanted this big bitch to haul ass. Now it has and all the tracks are closing around me so to me the only thing the built motor has going for me is the facts is reliable at what i had originally bent the rods at.

if i were to do it over knowing and having enjoyed what i have now, i wouldnt do it and would put the money into an actual toy, not my tow rig. But you only live once and i sure as hell cant take my money to the otherside with me when i die!

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
if i were to do it over knowing and having enjoyed what i have now, i wouldnt do it and would put the money into an actual toy, not my tow rig. But you only live once and i sure as hell cant take my money to the otherside with me when i die!
I have thought about this before. I could have kept my truck stock, bought an LS1 Camaro, built it to run 9's, and picked up a nice enclosed trailer for what I have into my truck. But I love the look on a Mustang driver's face when a 7000lb truck pulls him in every gear!

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
The way i looked at it, i wanted this big bitch to haul ass. Now it has and all the tracks are closing around me so to me the only thing the built motor has going for me is the facts is reliable at what i had originally bent the rods at.

what did you bend rods at?? And you had a stock turbo when it happened? All this motor rebuild talk has me worried to turn mine up to a stock turbo max effort tune...

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
I DD'd my LBZ on the 650 tune on a stock engine and loved it, that being said, I think I'd be happy with 700 hp DD vgt truck. My 08 was maybe 450rwhp and that was too slow. My 07.5 was over 900 and was nothing but a money pit. I was always worrying about every noise, etc. Its only a matter of time until you find the next weak link at higher power levels. With the money I spent on the 07.5 I could've had nice Z06.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Personally, I think most people really want a 500rwhp DD. It tows, can run high 12's, drivability is excellent, is quiet, and often sees a mileage improvement.

But it's like drugs. You always want a bit more.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
But I love the look on a Mustang driver's face when a 7000lb truck pulls him in every gear!

lol i just raced a fellow dmax guy with a edge chip in his truck. he limped his trans as i was pullin away. ooooohhh i remember when..... :spit:

what did you bend rods at?? And you had a stock turbo when it happened? All this motor rebuild talk has me worried to turn mine up to a stock turbo max effort tune...

about 540-550hp, motor and fuel system were 100% stock but i had the stock twin setup im still currently running. low end torque killed it. on a stock turbo only and good tuning, i never worry about it and ran it that way for 2 years. but running the stock turbo outside its map in flagstaff ment it was alot of smoke and half the power i had in phoenix. i was getting beat by my dodge buddy and a few other dmaxes and couldnt let that keep happening :D

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
lol i just raced a fellow dmax guy with a edge chip in his truck. he limped his trans as i was pullin away. ooooohhh i remember when..... :spit:
When anyone who doesn't know trucks asks about mine I tell them it has an Edge with hot unlock, a shift kit, and a cat back lol.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I loved my truck with 60% injectors and an S366 on a stock bottom end and was around 650hp. I wish I would have saved my money and spent it doing something else. But then again like Andrew said you forget all about it once you put your foot into it.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ

about 540-550hp, motor and fuel system were 100% stock but i had the stock twin setup im still currently running. low end torque killed it. on a stock turbo only and good tuning, i never worry about it and ran it that way for 2 years. but running the stock turbo outside its map in flagstaff ment it was alot of smoke and half the power i had in phoenix. i was getting beat by my dodge buddy and a few other dmaxes and couldnt let that keep happening :D

Good to know.. Thats pretty much what I want is a "reliable" 500ish rwhp. So basically I need to plan on keeping the stock turbo. Twins scare me too much. Im positive I would be doing headgaskets immediately if I did twins. Im at 4k feet so Im hoping it still kills a cummins haha.. When I drive into phoenix its great how i can instantly feel the power difference.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
When anyone who doesn't know trucks asks about mine I tell them it has an Edge with hot unlock, a shift kit, and a cat back lol.

My trucks stock, :D

Personally I think anything over 700 on the street is too much, to be able to use it reliably all the time. I think 500-700 is a good neighborhood for these trucks to "live"

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

lol this is my sig on a local forum

stacked edge chip over hypertech, trans shift kit and valve body mod, high hp injectors, pump turned up, silencer ring removed from turbo, and of course tow mirrors flipped OUT for ULTIMATE TORQUE!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Good to know.. Thats pretty much what I want is a "reliable" 500ish rwhp. So basically I need to plan on keeping the stock turbo. Twins scare me too much. Im positive I would be doing headgaskets immediately if I did twins. Im at 4k feet so Im hoping it still kills a cummins haha.. When I drive into phoenix its great how i can instantly feel the power difference.

lol i absolutly love my twins for towing and being thats what i used the truck for 60% of the time now, i wouldnt trade that fact. thats my biggest fight in my head about putting a stock motor in it as i would want to keep the twins, then id up the power, and be startin all over again. 550rwhp is plenty in this truck. i have not lost a race in it..............yet.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
LOL My truck isn't anywhere near as fast as some of the trucks on here. But it runs with pretty much everything in this area. I mostly find it funny when the 6.0 guys with studs and a tune are shocked when my "stock truck" beats up on there studded tuned "race trucks"

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
lol i absolutly love my twins for towing and being thats what i used the truck for 60% of the time now, i wouldnt trade that fact. thats my biggest fight in my head about putting a stock motor in it as i would want to keep the twins, then id up the power, and be startin all over again. 550rwhp is plenty in this truck. i have not lost a race in it..............yet.

Well now that yours is built I would just run it at a reasonable level for as long as I could. As long as you are not losing lol..

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Problem I see is that once the engine is built, the end user feels it can handle 1000+hp. He spends a lot of money and wants to prove to himself, friends, family, and the internet crowd that he has made a good choice.

These things are still designed for a fraction of that HP, no matter what parts are installed this Duramax block is not made to do what we are doing. I recommend if building an engine to be realistic and keep it at 600-700HP unless you have an alternate plan and understand it will break at some point. As mentioned a good combo at 500-600hp is a whole lot of fun on the street and weekends at the track.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Im setting at 500+rwhp and I told myself no more go fast goodies for the truck................So i bought a Yamaha R6. That satisfies the itch. :D

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
wwwhhhhaattt!?!? you mean to tell me that we cant easily get a million horse powers and still daily drive these things!?!? what a load of crap, im selling mine now. anyone want a big slow lly with a noisy clutch? :roflmao: