Wish you never built your motor?

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I agree. I wish I would've never dumped the money in mine that I have. Now that's it's built every time I drive it I ju st wonder what's gonna break next. I've put a lot of thought into selling it and buying a new high country just to have a beautiful daily driver that I can drive and enjoy.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I tried selling mine. No one wants a built motor worktruck. :(
Id love to start over with a loaded LMM. It would be deleted, built trans and 475/stock. And thats it!

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Exhaust and a tune,that's all I ever should have done. I work to much and family stuff gets in the way to go to a track any more. My truck sits due to the work van so I feel it's a waste sometime. However I still enjoy lighting the tires at 50 mph.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I bought a built truck (which I don't recommend) and more or less wish I hadn't. it is a ton of fun, but it is nerve wracking to drive because I am constantly worrying about what will break next. no one races me on the street anyway and the truck lives on a 700hp tune or so, which is still way too much power for the street.

my stock truck is plenty fast and has been dead reliable.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
4 years later and my built motor is basically pointless. Never had dual pumps or big sticks. Never pushed the power past 700. I could care less about racing it now. If I could turn back time...I wouldve replaced it with a good yard motor and kept on trucking. Driving around on kill everyday is getting old and the lag from the big single is too. I never thought Id want to go back to 450-500hp, but the truck was so much more fun to drive with a vvt and a dsp5.

DID YOU JUST SAY YOU WISH YOU HAD A VGT?????????????? You are like the #1 purveyor of fixed vane turbos and gave me a ton of crap when I stayed VGT lol

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Only thing I miss about vgt is turbo brake that's it

I'm a fan of near instant spool and 4 digit horsepower but to each his own I guess :roflmao: I also don't have anyone local with a truck built as extensively as mine and a big fixed vane single or comparable twins so I don't have first hand knowledge of how they feel.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm a fan of near instant spool and 4 digit horsepower but to each his own I guess :roflmao: I also don't have anyone local with a truck built as extensively as mine and a big fixed vane single or comparable twins so I don't have first hand knowledge of how they feel.

I would take a dv 68stg2r in a heart beat over my stock turbo. Marks spool testing he did in Russ's thread proves a lot of stuff there

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I would take a dv 68stg2r in a heart beat over my stock turbo. Marks spool testing he did in Russ's thread proves a lot of stuff there

I run his 72R and it is quick. From all accounts the 68R makes the 72 seem laggy. I think the tuning and turbo technology has come so far that unless you are going full blown race truck there is no need for a fixed vane turbo to make power.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I run his 72R and it is quick. From all accounts the 68R makes the 72 seem laggy. I think the tuning and turbo technology has come so far that unless you are going full blown race truck there is no need for a fixed vane turbo to make power.

Agreed. And I'm a fricken nut about spool up time. Now that I'm putting the lly top end on and ecm, I'm pretty excited I can run that turbo down the road

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I had my goal in mind in 12/08 when I bought this truck new, and every year I have done something to get me closer to my ultimate goal. As of last week, I'm just about there. Little things like a better locker might be nice, but honestly they are little things and may never get done.

I run my stock cp3 and 40 over tips. Back then I wanted Mark's upgraded stock'ish turbo, then the 68mm stage 2, and then when I was ready the 2r had just come out :woott::woott:. I've read tons of post over the years, and I decided a long time ago that my own reasoning leads me to believe that if I wanted to chase more than this stock block could handle, I bought the wrong vehicle! I love my truck!!! With Mark's in-person tuning, the turbo literally explodes out of the hole or is gentle as a lamb. I hold over 25k of rail and make 636/1100. I really think that this is the ultimate stock engine street daily-driver setup.

If I crack a piston or a break a crank, I'm not exactly sure what I'd do. Most likely, I'd find a junkyard LMM engine to throw in, but I could consider a very mild build - something like de-lipped pistons and not much else.

Driving my truck makes me smile every day... except for the annoying shit like my damned heater core that blew last week! I love that every day I can blast around or just cruise, and not have to worry about the next part breaking.

I lust for the 4 digit machines, but I worry that it would be like having Scarlett Johansson if I had the chance; 15 of the most meaningful seconds of my life, and then it's all over but the cleanup.:roflmao:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
DID YOU JUST SAY YOU WISH YOU HAD A VGT?????????????? You are like the #1 purveyor of fixed vane turbos and gave me a ton of crap when I stayed VGT lol

:eek:
For some reason Ive been getting really pissed at my turbo lately. It has me yearning for throttle response. The big single is a blast, don't get me wrong, but I'm growing tired of it. I'm thinking of doing a lightly modded 3794/475 and being done with it.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I tried selling mine. No one wants a built motor worktruck. :(
Id love to start over with a loaded LMM. It would be deleted, built trans and 475/stock. And thats it!

I have almost the exact problem having a fully loaded ltz dually. It's just too nice to gut fir a dedicated pulling truck. And way too heavy for a drag truck. And I got way too much money in it to sell her...

I'd love to have a new high country. Lifted on 35's, deleted tuned, built tranny and an s475 over stock..

I seen you truck up for sale. Then it disappeared I though you were gonna keep it a while.. a full built work truck would make an awesome dedicated pulling truck..

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I have almost the exact problem having a fully loaded ltz dually. It's just too nice to gut fir a dedicated pulling truck. And way too heavy for a drag truck. And I got way too much money in it to sell her...

I'd love to have a new high country. Lifted on 35's, deleted tuned, built tranny and an s475 over stock..

I seen you truck up for sale. Then it disappeared I though you were gonna keep it a while.. a full built work truck would make an awesome dedicated pulling truck..

I took it down so I could fix some rust and a couple other minor things. I'm gonna try again after winter. If that doesn't work I may sell the motor seperate, drop a good used motor in, sell the truck and buy an LMM. I would take a loss, but I would have what I want.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:eek:
For some reason Ive been getting really pissed at my turbo lately. It has me yearning for throttle response. The big single is a blast, don't get me wrong, but I'm growing tired of it. I'm thinking of doing a lightly modded 3794/475 and being done with it.

Let me know if/when you're going to pull the trigger...
Ive got a DP Stg2 3794 that I want to swap out for the 68 or 72 again...
I also want a built engine...

If you remember, or knew, I've got a nearly new GM re-man engine right now.
The turbo and engine were bought new and fired up at the same time, they have roughly 12k mi on them now running some of Marks built trans, turbo, injector; tuning

I'd be willing to pull the engine and turbo and ship it complete, no fuel, just tin, heads and turbo...maybe we can work it out to make a sweet deal for both of us?

I'm in no hurry here, got nuthin but time
:coolspot:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
You guys are regretting built motor trucks.

There are days a regret even messing with mine at all.

All in all though it's where I want it at and the next step is a tranny and I will be done with it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've gone back to my normal routine after I sold the LMM. New truck every 24 or 30 months, I just add a tune, exhaust and a lift pump. I might not set any records but I enjoy driving them...:D

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
That's what'sd Id like to do. Buy a new high country, and keep it pretty basic, enjoy driving it. And trade it in in 2-3 years for a nother new one. I just gotta get my lmm to where I want it first. Then I'm gonna try and sell it.