Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
We paid for my SoCal cam and received it 3 days later in the mail. Might be a couple dollars more but didn't get dicked around for 3 months. Can't honestly believe you fell for their bullshit story and now taking up for them. Good luck.

There's more to what exactly happened than what I'll say because it's not my place but I'm sure soon it will become public knowledge, it was me and 9 other customers that have been put into a situation like mine, sure they may have not have waited 3 months but they still are in a bind like I am, yea he should have informed me sooner but he is making it right with me and let me know what's really going on

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
All they told me was 2 weeks at the most and I will have my cam. That was on Thursday the 22nd

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Cams

Guy is one of the smartest "guy's" lol you will ever talk with! No BS and to the point! The only way to do business. He will not steer you wrong but he will not just tell you what you want to hear.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've spoken to Guy on multiple occasions, he was very helpful and extremely knowledgable and I had no problems getting in touch with him. No, I did not buy any parts from him, he was helping me out with an EFI question I had. Great guy, no pun intended...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just talked to Guy a few days ago about some stuff, and he did not try to sell me on everything he could do. There were several things he had available that he said weren't necessary for what I was doing. That doesn't sound like someone who is just out to make a buck.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I guess I just can't justify paying more for some parts that are identical but just come from a different business

Last edited:

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Guy just built my WHOLE ENTIRE ENGINE setup for my LBZ.... He has been EXTREMELY professional. I can't say anything bad about SoCal. Lorenzo and Guy have been there every step of the way.

I am also using the alt fire cam.

No, I'm not socal sponsored or anything.... I'm paying for it and I am HAPPILY paying for it because I know there is no BS and it is done right. I am very happy to pay for what I know will be delivered :)

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I guess I just can't justify paying more for some parts that are identical but just come from a different business

Um yes you can, you pay for service. Guy sells you what you need, and what fits your budget. He's not going to build you whatever you want necessarily, just like Mike wont build a trans however you want and a good painter wont skip steps to save you money also. Their name is on the line and they have a way to do things. They also meet these things called deadlines and answer things called phones. Also don't forget that magical word everyone seems to hate "profit", yes profit needs to be made. If you simply drop ship parts and dont build anything, thats different, but if you build a name for yourself by working hard and delivering, you can charge more than the Joe schmo down the street doing worse work and/or customer service. Pisses me off to no end that so many people don't understand profit and whine every time a company try's to make a buck. Go with the cheapest everytime, see where it gets you.

You chose the cheaper route and got the run around with no service for 3 months. Don't act like it doesn't matter now, you started this pity party to get your issue resolved. Its resolved, but now you feel the need to be a cheerleader. Remember on Comp D how I said I don't know you from Jack and his bean stalk, that theres always more to the story??? BS like this is exactly why I never take a side, especially online and if I seem like I do, its simply because I am always skeptical.

It's similar for many things really, people spend a lot of money for truck brand tools. Why though? Service. I don't like truck brands for most things but it was an example I could think of that everyone can relate to. You pay for the fact the guy comes to the shop and warranties or fixes the tool on the spot, no BS. Not to mention you pay for the basically no interest "loans" most offer.

I realize behind closed curtains they (EDP) are giving you the BJ/HJ/ZJ treatment now, but look in the mirror before you tell us we're all sucking guys d.

Last edited:

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
Um yes you can, you pay for service. Guy sells you what you need, and what fits your budget. He's not going to build you whatever you want necessarily, just like Mike wont build a trans however you want and a good painter wont skip steps to save you money also. Their name is on the line and they have a way to do things. They also meet these things called deadlines and answer things called phones. Also don't forget that magical word everyone seems to hate "profit", yes profit needs to be made. If you simply drop ship parts and dont build anything, thats different, but if you build a name for yourself by working hard and delivering, you can charge more than the Joe schmo down the street doing worse work and/or customer service. Pisses me off to no end that so many people don't understand profit and whine every time a company try's to make a buck. Go with the cheapest everytime, see where it gets you.

You chose the cheaper route and got the run around with no service for 3 months. Don't act like it doesn't matter now, you started this pity party to get your issue resolved. Its resolved, but now you feel the need to be a cheerleader. Remember on Comp D how I said I don't know you from Jack and his bean stalk, that theres always more to the story??? BS like this is exactly why I never take a side, especially online and if I seem like I do, its simply because I am always skeptical.

It's similar for many things really, people spend a lot of money for truck brand tools. Why though? Service. I don't like truck brands for most things but it was an example I could think of that everyone can relate to. You pay for the fact the guy comes to the shop and warranties or fixes the tool on the spot, no BS. Not to mention you pay for the basically no interest "loans" most offer.

I realize behind closed curtains they (EDP) are giving you the BJ/HJ/ZJ treatment now, but look in the mirror before you tell us we're all sucking guys d.

I won't say that about anyone. an this wasn't camshaft related I'm saying prices I have paid for other parts were dramatically cheaper than those I seen of his and I had great customer service to follow with that certain company

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I won't say that about anyone. an this wasn't camshaft related I'm saying prices I have paid for other parts were dramatically cheaper than those I seen of his and I had great customer service to follow with that certain company

That's not what this threads about and until now you have not mentioned any other parts.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

There are vendors that work out of their garage and are happy to make a 10/20 dollars profit on their sale. The have no overhead, insurance, or pay taxes on their sales.
Legitimate businesses cannot survive on that kind of margin and make a living. Some of you guys buy trans parts from flea bay or some other cheapo vendor and when something turns wrong I get the call.
You had to go public with your gripe with EDP; he gives you a little bullshit stroke job and now you praise him and people like him.
You deserve what you got.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
There are vendors that work out of their garage and are happy to make a 10/20 dollars profit on their sale. The have no overhead, insurance, or pay taxes on their sales.

Legitimate businesses cannot survive on that kind of margin and make a living. Some of you guys buy trans parts from flea bay or some other cheapo vendor and when something turns wrong I get the call.

You had to go public with your gripe with EDP; he gives you a little bullshit stroke job and now you praise him and people like him.

You deserve what you got.

There are certain parts that I am fine paying a higher price for but for a same brand part at a higher price is ridiculous, and I'm not praising them but for what I had explained to me did put a different perspective on things. And for you to say I deserve what I got is pretty arrogant and not very respectable I don care who you are I won't have crap like that said to me your not any better of a person than I am even if your the "god of transmissions" you still get buried in the same sized hole as I do when it comes to the end of it all

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are certain parts that I am fine paying a higher price for but for a same brand part at a higher price is ridiculous, and I'm not praising them but for what I had explained to me did put a different perspective on things. And for you to say I deserve what I got is pretty arrogant and not very respectable I don care who you are I won't have crap like that said to me your not any better of a person than I am even if your the "god of transmissions" you still get buried in the same sized hole as I do when it comes to the end of it all

Wrong. I'm getting cremated.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I had a goldfish. Cremation isn't a bad idea maybe you can have someone develop a mike L. Trans fluid with parts of your bone calcium in it since it becomes about 98% pure calcium. maybe it'll help out lubrication

I never had a goldfish.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

You can buy a lot of parts for your truck from cheaper sources than a lot of the vendors, like I said though you are paying for service.

Do you pay for the name?(In this case SoCal) Yes you do, you pay for the reputation. I'm sure you have been around long enough to know how many diesel performance companies come and go. It's retarded, seriously ponzi schemes last longer than 90% of the diesel shops that seem to pop up. A lot of people like SoCal because Guy has stood the test of time. He has a background in performance engines and has a vested interest, he's not a guy that turned his hobby into a business, worked retarded hours, grew too fast then ends up burning himself out and leaving people hanging. This is what happens with many shops. Starts out of one persons interest and they get carried away then realize they don't want it anymore. Guy started doing the diesel stuff as a side project and its worked out well for him. He gets a premium price for products, but he also has a lot invested in top notch stuff. Sure he doesn't make every part he sells, but the profit on those parts helps offset the costs on the parts he has a lot of R&D dollars into so that they can be competitive.

Others on here that have been around since the DP days have seen the number of shops come and go. Some in a respectable way, some in a bad way and some just simply fading away. Honestly as I look back, SoCal is really one of the few players that is still around. They are also one of the few shops you can google and not find too many horror stories about. Sure theres always some pissed off customers, but without knowing the whole story its hard to judge. Some people feel they are owed the world and everyone is out to get them. I'm sure theres some legitimate people who have been done wrong as well.

I'm far from a so-cal cheerleader, the only thing I bought from Guy was EFI Live back when he was one of the only people selling it. He's been a lot of help with it when I needed. Like I said before he actually sits on the phone with you and will wait for your internet, no matter how slow, to download the updates he emails, wait for you to install it and confirm everything works. The last time I did this he sat on the phone for 1.5hrs. He didn't make anything off me in that amount of time, not to mention he lost time that he could be doing something more productive. Many people would rush you off the phone or say try this and get back to me, that's not really the way Guy works. As much as I like dealing with him though, when I was going to build my motor back in the day I priced it with a person who was local at the time and doing a lot of work. I haven't kept up that well but I know he has since left and haven't heard much about him since.

A lot of the reasons people like Guy are the reasons people like dealing with Mike. I've spent $70 in the 5 years he's been helping me over the phone. Tried buying stuff from him but he just doesn't let you lol. People like Guy, Mike, Pat, etc a lot because they get excited about these trucks and just like learning about them and helping others. It may not come across on the forums that way all the time, but you don't learn anything by getting showered with roses and told you did a good job all the time. You need someone to tell you that your stupid and ****ed up once and awhile. Fastest way to learn. That said, I nor anyone else on here are nut swingers for anyone. We respect a lot of people, but that doesn't mean we do everything and anything they want like they are a god. For some reason the "new generation" of Duramax owners log on and feel that we give these people our left nut. The newbs seem to have something to prove and get all revved up, then get egged on and pissed off. Many feel the need to jump on bandwagons to slash someone as well. I guess I don't get the purpose of burning bridges along the way. If you don't like what someone said to you, grow up and move on. Don't need a speach about how were all equal, are you a 20 year old Liberal or something? Life is not equal, life is not fair, you respect and learn from your elders, if you don't agree with them then move on, no need to torch the building in the process. You have nothing to prove, you want to run your mouth go talk to Greggles, otherwise just take your chill pills and build your truck.

The bottom line is you got on here because you were butt hurt about the way EDP was treating you. I would've been pissed too, but I would've just canceled any business with them. Whats the saying , "Once a cheater, always a cheater?" maybe your a religious forgiving man, I don't know. Sounds like Chad gave you a good reach around with a tickler and now your swinging by his nutsack talking about how much cheaper they are than the vendors who support this site (and no Pat does not get picky about non-vendors like other sites unless a deal goes sour). A lot of people had sympathy for you, but who's all supporting you now? Not too many because your contributing nothing useful but more whining. You claim socal is "chest pounding" but your on here grandstanding about EDP and how great Chad's BJ was.

I really have nothing against EDP, but you make me not want to deal with them. I was going to on some stuff because they are close to me but I don't like being dicked around nor do I care for any business who feels the need to discredit their competitors for their own gain, doesn't matter who is right or wrong, thats not good business. Either they cut you one heck of a deal, or all of their slandering of the competitors in their sales pitch changed your mind. In that case they're good salesman, or your easier than a 10 cent hooker. In that case I have a bridge for sale on some swampland in florida.

Last edited: