Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

tracygto

Apr 18, 2014
deshler ohio
well I was NEVER a SBC guy I have ran big block Pontiac my whole life so i know about costing more. I have joined this sight and another duramax sight to get information and to see what others have tried so i wont make same mistake. In the end as long as we all get what we want that's the bottom line!!!:thumb:

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Why would you pay double on a cam that hasent proven to fix the issue's?

I spoke with a few engine shops and the answer was the same, still breaking cranks with AF camshafts.

Just seems like everyone flocks to the "next best thing" 99% are based on assumptions with laptop modeling software, with no REAL controlled testing....Thats called a GUESS folks!

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah

I spoke with a few engine shops and the answer was the same, still breaking cranks with AF camshafts.

Just seems like everyone flocks to the "next best thing" 99% are based on assumptions with laptop modeling software, with no REAL controlled testing....Thats called a GUESS folks!

Mine broke. It's an expensive fix and I don't want it happening again. If an AF cam is one factor making it less likely by even 20 or 30% it's well worth the extra cost. But everyone's free to make their own decisions.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

Yours is just another opinion with hearsay. Name some reasons why people should listen to you. Who are theses engine shops?

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Yours is just another opinion with hearsay. Name some reasons why people should listen to you. Who are theses engine shops?

I was not asking for anyone to listen, just stating that this is not the "Fix" that many are hoping for. I have no solid answers, just a few replies from High end builders and my personal opinions.

However according to Curtis halvorson and Wade moody there still are failures with AF cams. With Curtis land speed and Marine build expirence, and Wade's Drag and street build expirence, thats speaks loud enough to warn me. Both said they wont recommend them till there proven.

These guys also said that after about 1500hp cranks started to fail very fast. At lower levels of power they had hardly any issue's. So i wasent saying they have stock piles of broken cranks. But they have seen failures at high levels with stock cranks and the AF cam didnt help.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
There are people claiming cranks are still breaking even with the AF cam, but I have yet to hear of solid proof. Its always, I know a guy who has a friend that broke one or some other BS. If you know someone that knows someone get someone to come get on this forum and tell us something.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
He invented diesel motorsports as we know it with his programs all putting diesel in the "main stream".

The only Main Stream I've seen with Hogue is him trying to piss on everyone else in the diesel world.

Sadly, he has been doing it into a strong headwind, with an updraft.

The results have been predictable.:thumb:

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I was not asking for anyone to listen, just stating that this is not the "Fix" that many are hoping for. I have no solid answers, just a few replies from High end builders and my personal opinions.

However according to Curtis halvorson and Wade moody there still are failures with AF cams. With Curtis land speed and Marine build expirence, and Wade's Drag and street build expirence, thats speaks loud enough to warn me. Both said they wont recommend them till there proven.

These guys also said that after about 1500hp cranks started to fail very fast. At lower levels of power they had hardly any issue's. So i wasent saying they have stock piles of broken cranks. But they have seen failures at high levels with stock cranks and the AF cam didnt help.

Proven to 1500 hp?
I'd like to just make 1000 hp:roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
REALLY wasn't this thread ORIGINALLY started asking who is running the AF cam. I just got tired of reading who knew more or who was better and bought one who is to say it isnt what I wanted in the first place (a bigger better cam) thats what building your own engine is all about trial and error. In the diesel world they just make you pay double for it. DIESEL means double LOL:thumb:

Just trying to put some positive perspective in the air in this thread.:hug:

Mine broke. It's an expensive fix and I don't want it happening again. If an AF cam is one factor making it less likely by even 20 or 30% it's well worth the extra cost. But everyone's free to make their own decisions.

ive yet to hear of 1 engine breaking a crank with the AF cam.

There are people claiming cranks are still breaking even with the AF cam, but I have yet to hear of solid proof. Its always, I know a guy who has a friend that broke one or some other BS. If you know someone that knows someone get someone to come get on this forum and tell us something.

:thumb:
:hug:
:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Exactly.

I haven't spoken to Curtis in awhile but last time I asked his thoughts on it he wasn't convinced it was the answer to the crank issue. But he also never mentioned any failures with AF's either.
That said at 1500 HP I don't care what cam or crank you got, it ain't gonna last long.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Exactly.

I haven't spoken to Curtis in awhile but last time I asked his thoughts on it he wasn't convinced it was the answer to the crank issue. But he also never mentioned any failures with AF's either.
That said at 1500 HP I don't care what cam or crank you got, it ain't gonna last long.

I agree, when you get to a certain power level the only thing you need to do to keep it alive is turn down the power. There's no magic fix for 2K-3K ft lbs:( I do find it interesting that we keep hearing from certain people that there's still failures out there, but none of them can back up what they say.

tracygto

Apr 18, 2014
deshler ohio
I talked to daves diesel shop in Angola Indiana they have been using the af cam for a couple years with no breaks yet and they recommended it and said $1460.00 wasnt a bad price!!!!!!!:D

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010

Why would a guy who makes money on building engines tell you how to keep the engine together? Or for that matter why would he support a product that is going to fix a known issue with the Duramax engine that is going to make him lose business because far fewer if any cranks will be breaking?

Its simple business.

So, pics or it didn't happen :)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
There reputation is on the line^^ they want to build the best engines that make the most horsepower and last the longest.... That brings more business in than your philosophy.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
There reputation is on the line^^ they want to build the best engines that make the most horsepower and last the longest.... That brings more business in than your philosophy.

Exactly! To my knowledge, Moody is one of very few with a HP Duramax engine thats dead on constistant , reliable and making a ton of power in drag racing. He must be on to something.