Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
A guy at work told me he had some left over supplement his roomate left when he moved, he said he would bring it in for me. I figured some muscle milk or weight loss pills.or something. The next day he brought in a almost completely full 5 pound jug of double chocolate gold standard protein! I offered him some money and he wouldn't take it. That saved me about 60 bucks. Bet that will only happen once.not my preference on flavor but hey.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
A guy at work told me he had some left over supplement his roomate left when he moved, he said he would bring it in for me. I figured some muscle milk or weight loss pills.or something. The next day he brought in a almost completely full 5 pound jug of double chocolate gold standard protein! I offered him some money and he wouldn't take it. That saved me about 60 bucks. Bet that will only happen once.not my preference on flavor but hey.

To me, Optimum Nutrition is the most overrated whey. But thats just my opinion...and free is free.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I did but I feel like free weights would do a much better job. Once I get home I can get to the gym and see how much of a panzy I really am...o and pick up some of the ISO 1000

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like free weights as well but if that is all you have access to, you can still smash yourself with a cable machine:thumb:

ISO 1000 is good stuff. It mixes well too, nothing annoys me more than clumpy protein that doesn't mix well.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
So do you guys rep heavy weight until failure? I been doing 80lb on the cable machine using the top had grab spot. I can definitely feel it alot more than if I move them to the lower grab spot like 4 inches down. Just curious if I should be definitely be able to tell I lifted come the next morning

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So do you guys rep heavy weight until failure? I been doing 80lb on the cable machine using the top had grab spot. I can definitely feel it alot more than if I move them to the lower grab spot like 4 inches down. Just curious if I should be definitely be able to tell I lifted come the next morning

Not always... Going to failure for a powerlifter can have adverse affects on the noodle:D I don't want to fail a lift ever, however a body builder could see gains from going to failure or using drop sets. I will do some light weight acc. stuff to failure sometimes but try to not fail on the big 3, keyword Try;)

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Back feeling better today. Much better. It's definitely a muscle injury and it is always the same spot.

I don't know how best to treat it. I can go back to lifting as soon as I feel good again, but don't know how to treat other than adding strength.

Any of you use needling or other PT stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
What is a drop set exactly...I don't understand what they mean when I read about it. Is it just upping your weight but doing less reps?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Back feeling better today. Much better. It's definitely a muscle injury and it is always the same spot.

I don't know how best to treat it. I can go back to lifting as soon as I feel good again, but don't know how to treat other than adding strength.

Any of you use needling or other PT stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acupuncture? If so, then yes. I have used it a couple times on my elbows. It seemed to provide some relief. I actually just talked to the guy doing it when I was in getting my massage, probably get some more done:thumb:

As far as aggravating one muscle. I have done that as well, I just try to stay away from that muscle, as it is pissy and doesn't like to be bothered.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I have creeped on this thread for a long time, but I need some help and hopefully you gents have some suggestions.

I have always had back pain when doing squats and deadlifts. I suffer severely from chickenlegitisfrustatum. Anyway a couple months ago I had unusual pain from squat. Woke up the next morning and I could barley walk. By the end of the week I could function, but there is always constant pain. If I do any kind of squat or deadlift movement even with no weight I suffer for the next day with pain.

I ran into a friend at the gym who is a back/spinal surgeon and after a brief once over she said it was my SI joint. Looking online, the location and pain seem to match up with what she is saying. She recommended a steroid shot. Anyone have experience with this? Has anyone had a steroid shot before for pain and did it help?

My gym time is suffering because I have to be very careful how I move weights around. It will feel decent for a while, but one wrong move and I am back to moving around like I am 80 years old.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I have creeped on this thread for a long time, but I need some help and hopefully you gents have some suggestions.

I have always had back pain when doing squats and deadlifts. I suffer severely from chickenlegitisfrustatum. Anyway a couple months ago I had unusual pain from squat. Woke up the next morning and I could barley walk. By the end of the week I could function, but there is always constant pain. If I do any kind of squat or deadlift movement even with no weight I suffer for the next day with pain.

I ran into a friend at the gym who is a back/spinal surgeon and after a brief once over she said it was my SI joint. Looking online, the location and pain seem to match up with what she is saying. She recommended a steroid shot. Anyone have experience with this? Has anyone had a steroid shot before for pain and did it help?

My gym time is suffering because I have to be very careful how I move weights around. It will feel decent for a while, but one wrong move and I am back to moving around like I am 80 years old.
Those shots are awesome. I've got 4 extremely herniated discs in my lower back. I've had 3 of those shots. They hurt when you get the shot but the next day you feel brand new. Honestly if you have a bad disc down there that's about the only way to make the pain stop. Stretching and all the like helps a bit but doesn't take it all away. I walk around daily usually about a pain level 3 or 4 on a scale of 10. It's the only thing that has helped me out. But I can't do squats or deads anymore because like you k can't move the next day. Little do most people realize but most folks have a minor heriated disc but it's so slight it goes unnoticed.

If I were you I'd go see your doc friend and get looked at and see if that's what you really need, if it is I'd go for it without hesitation.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Verlon, Give me some background on your back.
1. Had trouble your whole life?
2. How old are you?
3. Pain is for sure in the SI joint and not lumbar?
4. Any spinal issues, like Scoliosis or??
5. Back go out regular?
6. Use a Chiropractor?
7. Massage?

-Albert

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Deadlifts yesterday, lower back and posterior chain are trashed today

4x4x445
2x505
2x565

My belt smashed in a lower floating rib, so that was fun.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
Those shots are awesome. I've got 4 extremely herniated discs in my lower back. I've had 3 of those shots. They hurt when you get the shot but the next day you feel brand new. Honestly if you have a bad disc down there that's about the only way to make the pain stop. Stretching and all the like helps a bit but doesn't take it all away. I walk around daily usually about a pain level 3 or 4 on a scale of 10. It's the only thing that has helped me out. But I can't do squats or deads anymore because like you k can't move the next day. Little do most people realize but most folks have a minor heriated disc but it's so slight it goes unnoticed.

If I were you I'd go see your doc friend and get looked at and see if that's what you really need, if it is I'd go for it without hesitation.

I haven't been to a Doc in a long time and quite frankly scared to go and find out all my issues. At least she is cute. Hopefully the shots will help.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Think of your body as a truck...maintain it and you can keep them in great condition for a long time, slack off for a while and something will come back to get ya.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
Verlon, Give me some background on your back.
1. Had trouble your whole life? General discomfort whole life. Used to wake up so stiff it took a good 30 minutes to walk straight. Sleep comfort bed fixed that though.
2. How old are you? 42
3. Pain is for sure in the SI joint and not lumbar? Not positive, but when she said does this hurt and poked me, it HURT
4. Any spinal issues, like Scoliosis or?? NO
5. Back go out regular? Always hurt after squats and deads, but always good as new next day.
6. Use a Chiropractor? Haven't been to one
7. Massage? My hands don't reach that far back... :)

-Albert

Color change didn't take.

I really do need to get a check up all around, I just don't want to find out I'm dying!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Color change didn't take.

I really do need to get a check up all around, I just don't want to find out I'm dying!

Sounds pretty similar lol.

Sounds like you may some technical issues with your form that is loading the Si joint in a way it doesn't like... Want to post a vid. from the side and back of your squat and deadlift with some light weight? We should be able to pick up on any technique issues that might be causing your discomfort.

Now my back is always tight and stiff wannabe power lifter, 40 years old, Football, Motocross, Heavy Equipment tech, Dumb Farm kid, Racing Snowmachines etc etc. I get regular massage, find a good deep tissue massage therapist and let them work on you 2-3 times a month. It hurts but does wonders for sore/stiff backs and muscles.

Hunt down a good Chiro. the joints in your spine and hip need to move or the cartilage and discs will degenerate and shrink up. The chiro can get your spine inline and the joints moving freely so your body can replenish the fluids in them. Word of caution on chiro visits if they don't insist on taking x-rays of your before any adjustments, RUN. They need to know that there not going to injure you by cranking on a damaged joint:thumb: Ask around I'm sure you will here who to use and who to stay away from.

Drink lots of water, at least a gallon a day, fish oil pills (omega 3 fatty acids), Glucosamine, and a good multi vitamin are my joint, disc supps.

Foam rollers, lacrosse balls can be big help in breaking up knots and scar tissue in the muscle and fascia, thus helping the muscle to relax and repair itself.

Stretching is very important. Back to everything needs to move freely thing:thumb:

I love cat/camel, airplanes, sissy pushups, for back maintenance. I will post a video form chris duffin that shows the movements when I get home. I also watched a couple good videos on SI joint stretches I will post up as well.

I think with a little work Verlon you can get your back healthy and semi pain free. I don't think mine will ever be totally pain free but it is as good as it's been in years. I never thought I could ever deadlift 505 6 or 7 years ago.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I cringe at the thought of a massage therapist attempting to unravel the knots in my lower back. :roflmao: