Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Went into today with a real iffy mindset and was rather beat but, that led to a **** it all kinda mood. :D

Squat: ****ing stupid ass retro has a couple decently knurled bars, and guess where they were on bench press monday? So, squatted with a smooth center bar..feared for my life
5x225
5x275
5x325
3x385
5x435
3x365

Bench
5x135
5x175
5x205
5x245
5x275

Row
worked to a 5x255

Part of rage today was filled from some OLY lifter throwing to the ground a massive 225lb... sorry to OLY guys but, have some respect for others.. no one is impressed with the crap ton of noise you make. Control your reps.

Ah well. #Success

No disrespect, but controlling your reps on snatch or clean after performing the lift is not really beneficial. And if you're doing heavy singles then it is common practice to drop the weight from the top. I realize a lot of people are annoyed by this, and there a lot of guys who think throwing the weight around makes them cool, but for the most part this is just the way things are done with these types of lifts, hence the bumper plates instead of metal plates.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I understand that, like I said a lot of it was me being pissed off and that racket not helping.

But, lettuce be cereal here... 135lb is not nearly enough to drop like its some BW clean...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Starting to get really pissed at myself... I might as well give up on the gym. I get there 30 minutes late, do one set of squats and my back starts hurting, knee hurts, and no motivation to do anything else.

I don't know if it's all in my head or what.. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Starting to get really pissed at myself... I might as well give up on the gym. I get there 30 minutes late, do one set of squats and my back starts hurting, knee hurts, and no motivation to do anything else.

If i get pissed if I start hurting or everyone is on the shit I need I just switch it up. Come back the next day and do what I was gonna do the day before. I know it's not the best thing to do, but it's better than giving up or getting a shitty work out in.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Corbin, did you get your back looked at yet? Try doing cat/camels, airplanes & Sissy pushups (thighs and knees stay on the floor, hyper extend your back) Do 4 sets of 10 each morning and night for 30 days... I will bet you feel 100% better. Work on back stretches as well, make sure the quads, hammys, spinal ererctors, hip flexors & adductors are loose as well. Anyone of those muscle groups can cause back issues if there yanking on your spine. The other possibility is a bulging/herniated disc. These can be fixed as well but you need to know which way the buldge is protruding.
If i get pissed if I start hurting or everyone is on the shit I need I just switch it up. Come back the next day and do what I was gonna do the day before. I know it's not the best thing to do, but it's better than giving up or getting a shitty work out in.

Do what Mr. 6 speed says:hug: work other muscle groups.

Work on Yoga, no sh*t it is hard as F*ck... I'm covered in sweat and seriously wasted after an hour of that. Really works your flexibility and balance:thumb:

When Do your back bother you in the squat? Care to post a video? We might be able to catch something in your technique that's aggravating things.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Corbin, did you get your back looked at yet? Try doing cat/camels, airplanes & Sissy pushups (thighs and knees stay on the floor, hyper extend your back) Do 4 sets of 10 each morning and night for 30 days... I will bet you feel 100% better. Work on back stretches as well, make sure the quads, hammys, spinal ererctors, hip flexors & adductors are loose as well. Anyone of those muscle groups can cause back issues if there yanking on your spine. The other possibility is a bulging/herniated disc. These can be fixed as well but you need to know which way the buldge is protruding.

Do what Mr. 6 speed says:hug: work other muscle groups.

Work on Yoga, no sh*t it is hard as F*ck... I'm covered in sweat and seriously wasted after an hour of that. Really works your flexibility and balance:thumb:

When Do your back bother you in the squat? Care to post a video? We might be able to catch something in your technique that's aggravating things.

I think I'm just being a puss and looking for the easy way out lol. I'm just exhausted from work recently and have had zero extra energy to do anything. U have not been to have a second opinion on my back yet, I havnt made time. Right now is swamped time at work. I think it's mostly muscle soreness in my back right now. I've been leaned over trucks for the last 3 weeks so it's not helping any. I don't really have much gym motivation even after I'm there. Say today my back and knee started bugging me normally I would have switched muscle groups but the last month or so I just pack up and leave from lack of motivation.

I need to stretch more and make time for it, I can't remember the last time I trained core like I need to. I'm just stressed over a few things and the gym used to be my way out but now it doesn't seem to be helping.

I need to get my truck running and I think that would help a lot. My shop is 2 miles from the gym so when I get mad there I just come work on my truck until I have to go to work. I've went back to a shit diet and drinking soda again. That's ruining me I know it.. Before a month ago I hadn't had more than a couple sodas in the last 6 months..

Pity party for me

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Started a new "Undulating" program today... See if it works as good or better than my Linear ones.

Bench
Warm up with dynamic stretching
barx10
135x10
185x7
221x4x10 wow last reps of the last two sets were rough. Not used to volume.

Incline dumb bell press
40x12
50x10
60x10
70x8
70x7
70x6 shoulders fried:baby:

Super sets
Dumbell rows
90x10
110x10 thought I grabbed the 100 lol was done with the first set when I noticed.
110x10
110x8
110x8

cable Lat pull downs
160x12
170x10
180x8
180x6

Tried seated military press but the shoulders were already smoked so did weighted dips instead
Dips
BWx10
45x10
reverse grip 45x10
Std grip 45x10

Prayed the wife was done nope... Sigh
Cardio
incline speed walk was all I could muster haha
15minutes 6% inline at 3.5mph

Weighted decline crunches
45x10 Broke the bench:eek: went over to the crunch machine
170x4x10

Lots of stretching

Wow I'm wrecked:)

OOPS forgot 2 workouts lol
seated cable pulls
170x4x10
Machine shoulder press
125x4x10

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think I'm just being a puss and looking for the easy way out lol. I'm just exhausted from work recently and have had zero extra energy to do anything. U have not been to have a second opinion on my back yet, I havnt made time. Right now is swamped time at work. I think it's mostly muscle soreness in my back right now. I've been leaned over trucks for the last 3 weeks so it's not helping any. I don't really have much gym motivation even after I'm there. Say today my back and knee started bugging me normally I would have switched muscle groups but the last month or so I just pack up and leave from lack of motivation.

I need to stretch more and make time for it, I can't remember the last time I trained core like I need to. I'm just stressed over a few things and the gym used to be my way out but now it doesn't seem to be helping.

I need to get my truck running and I think that would help a lot. My shop is 2 miles from the gym so when I get mad there I just come work on my truck until I have to go to work. I've went back to a shit diet and drinking soda again. That's ruining me I know it.. Before a month ago I hadn't had more than a couple sodas in the last 6 months..

Pity party for me

I'll make a deal with ya... Try this for one month. Give me your address and I will send you the yoga video I do. Do it 3 times a week and do the above mentioned stretching/back exercises daily morning and night. NO GYM at all, your burned out dude and your back is sabotaging your work outs.

You will be chomping at the bit after a month to F*ck the gym up:hug:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'll make a deal with ya... Try this for one month. Give me your address and I will send you the yoga video I do. Do it 3 times a week and do the above mentioned stretching/back exercises daily morning and night. NO GYM at all, your burned out dude and your back is sabotaging your work outs.

You will be chomping at the bit after a month to F*ck the gym up:hug:

I don't think I can force myself not to go to the gym for a month lol. Even if I don't accomplish anything while I'm there.

I think the wife has a yoga dvd, let me check on it and if she does I won't have to steal yours.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don't think I can force myself not to go to the gym for a month lol. Even if I don't accomplish anything while I'm there.

I think the wife has a yoga dvd, let me check on it and if she does I won't have to steal yours.

Well just stay away as long as you can... Mick warned me about getting burned out. I limit myself to just 4 days a week. Powerlifiting can be brutal on the central nervous system... When I start feeling run down I cut back to 3 days and dump my extra bench or squat day. The older I get the more recovery I need.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Mr 6 speed doesn't like liquid grip, better than the home made stuff. Felt gooey and I had to reapply every set. Maybe a bad batch but for 30 bucks I'll stick with my orange chalk. Lol I did get up to 435x4 though on deads, grip "holding" me back.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Now that I'm not driving,

225 warm up deads
315x10
375x8
405x5
435x4

cable pull downs
120x12
130x10
140x10
150x10
then drop set back down

Machine rows
cable straight arm pull downs
then destroyed arms, then destroyed arms
after getting my grip up a bit from that home made chalk liquid, I was in a good mood and had an awesome day. Maybe I'll try the liquid grip some more before I dog it. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Now that I'm not driving,

225 warm up deads
315x10
375x8
405x5
435x4

cable pull downs
120x12
130x10
140x10
150x10
then drop set back down

Machine rows
cable straight arm pull downs
then destroyed arms, then destroyed arms
after getting my grip up a bit from that home made chalk liquid, I was in a good mood and had an awesome day. Maybe I'll try the liquid grip some more before I dog it. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough

Good work Jessy:thumb: Bummer about the chalk thing... Any other gyms around that are little more meat head friendly?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Good work Jessy:thumb: Bummer about the chalk thing... Any other gyms around that are little more meat head friendly?

Yeah but I'd rather just go there and use chalk until they kick me out lol. Got a few gyms, but no one ever said anything to me about it before I heard it was a rule and went and asked because the guy who runs the place is cool. I'll just do it again of he don't like it I'll leave lol

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Deadlifts:thumb:
First legit Sumo attempts:D
Warm up and stretching
Barx2x10
135x10
225x8
325x4x10 ain't nothin' but a peanut:thumb: These felt really good even beltless... Sumo may be my thing?

Bent barbell rows
barx2x10
135x10
185x10
205x3x6-8

Curls in the squat rack:D
barx10
65x10
85x10
85x8
85x6
85x6