Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Thunderwood

Apr 5, 2014
Warrensburg, MO / North AR
Well.... I finally walked into a gym today for the first time in a year and a half. I will say that it amazes me how much your muscles change in that amount of time. It put my ego in check, and reminded me that I've got a long ways to go to get back to where I was. Gotta start somewhere though!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Awesome, it's amazing what fighters do with cutting weight. Be cool to see how this works for you. 205 class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Corbin 205. I shouldn't even be concerned with my weight but I really want to make this 205 class and go toe to toe with the 205 record holder... I should have him in everything except maybe the deadlift. I'm not sure where my DL will be going into this meet, hurting my back may have put the nail in the DL coffin? Although last meet I went in with a banged up back and PR'd the sh*t out of everything so who knows?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Well.... I finally walked into a gym today for the first time in a year and a half. I will say that it amazes me how much your muscles change in that amount of time. It put my ego in check, and reminded me that I've got a long ways to go to get back to where I was. Gotta start somewhere though!

Thats the first step:thumb: Keep that ego put away and keep going...

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Where do you all learn this stuff at? Where can a guy go read about this topic (PED) until his eyeballs bleed if he wants to? :D

I go to multiple forums and do a lot of reading. Steroidology has a lot of good material in the anabolic steroid forum's stickys. Read those to get a basic understanding then start going into threads and see what other guys are saying. Not everyone on the forum knows what they are talking about but there's a couple guys who know their shit and you can learn a lot from them. It's honestly really fascinating stuff.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Worked up to .. Bench 5x275 paused, Squat 5x435 and Row 5x225

Then I decided to wash dishes
10421636_10205885909282892_8264531237415842548_n.jpg

Three stitches later and I am home, super pissed more that now I can't lift than anything else :roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Headed to Anchorage tomorrow. Meet is on sat. weigh in is at 11am and lifting starts at 1pm.

Lifting in the Masters 1A 40-44

I think my openers will be close to below, providing the warm up feels good. I pay close attention to my warm ups, if they don't feel good I will lower the openers accordingly. No way do I want to bomb out of a meet.
Squat
1. 365 90% of my one rep max of 405
2. 385 95%
3. 410-15
Bench
1. 315 90% of a projected 350 bench 340 was my best gym lift at 10 singles I think I got 350 in me
2. 332 95%
3. 340-350 ish going on how 332 felt
Deadlift
1. 465 96% only because I hit this for a 3x3 pretty easy. No idea what my max is on deads...
2. 485-490 depending on how 465 goes
3. 507-512

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Headed to Anchorage tomorrow. Meet is on sat. weigh in is at 11am and lifting starts at 1pm.

I think my openers will be close to below, providing the warm up feels good. I pay close attention to my warm ups, if they don't feel good I will lower the openers accordingly. No way do I want to bomb out of a meet.
Squat
2. 385 95%
3. 410-15
Bench
1. 315 90% of a projected 350 bench 340 was my best gym lift at 10 singles I think I got 350 in me
2. 332 95%
Deadlift
1. 465 96% only because I hit this for a 3x3 pretty easy. No idea what my max is on deads...
3. 507-512

Nail it brother!

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008

Squat
2. 385 95%
3. 410-15
Bench
2. 332 95%
Deadlift
3. 507-512

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :hug:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Haha...

Oh hell, where do I start with this weekend... The Avengers was great:thumb: My lifting not so much... So here goes.

The meet was the largest in close 20 years up here 51 lifters with the typical big meet growing pains... They decided to split the women, youth, teen & up to 74KG into the morning session and the rest into an afternoon session.

Weigh in went off at 11am. I came in at 203 for the 205 class:thumb: Water cut worked perfectly, and I felt fine that morning. Pounded 24 0z of water with an accidently 2 scoops of creatine (more on that later lol) & 32 oz of poweraid. I then ate a PB&J and a banana. Then waited to lift. My flight was supposed to start lifting at 1pm but the morning sess. didn't finish until 3 ish... We started lifting at 3:30 something IIRC.

Squats-
I warmed up for squats way to early and got a little cold waiting. Decided I needed to use the restroom for some #2 action before squats, I was sh*tting through a screen door at 100yds, not good.... Opened with 365 and it felt terrible, 375 felt worse and 391 almost stappled me, huge miss:( Squats were completely flat... Munched a cliff bar.

Bench-
Went into bench, warm up went good. 315 went fine. Climbed on the bench to do 325 my last meet pr and both ham strings instantly started cramping... I tried to press anyway and miss grooved something terrible plus massive butt lift wtf is goin on???? Stretched my hammys the best I could and went for my 3rd attempt at 325 again, got my arch and as soon as I put my feet on the floor my right ham string started cramping again. Got tight and tried to ignore the pain, pressed it up and racked it only to get two red lights from the side judges for butt lift *sigh*. It wasn't nearly as bad as the 2nd attempt but it was enough to miss the 3rd. I couldn't keep my butt down with my Hamstrings F-ing up.

Second bathroom stop... I'm taking a leak after my dismal performance on bench. I decide I need to pass some gas... WRONG I almost crap my singlet, FML! I go shuffling into the stall with my ass pinched tight praying it didn't get to my singlet.... Whew! singlet is still dry, ass however needed some clean up. I'll spare y'all the details:rofl:

Deadlift-
Now I'm good and pissed and its 7pm at night, I don't feel well, haven't eaten enough, almost sh*t my singlet, got my ass handed to me by the guy I was going to beat... Warmed up to 405 it felt great. Opened with 465 and smoked it, 485 went up but fought with it a smidge... I'm really running out of gas at this point, so I decide to salvage at least a tiny pr out of the worst athletic performance of my life:eek: I had them put 490 and some change on the bar. I pulled that b*tch like it was the last deadlift on the planet, it came up:happy2:

So I totaled 1179, took second in the 205's open division and 2nd in the masters 1a... I was 5 pounds off my total from feb. thanks to my failed bench attempts.

So I drove home yesterday 6.5 hours with this meet eating at my soul:D No radio just my thoughts... Not sure if the double dose (by accident I planned on spreading it out) of creatine caused my diarrhea or if it was my steak and salad from the night before??? Needed to eat more but didn't feel very well so lost a ton of energy headed into the lifts. Water cut went great and I felt no side effects from that, urine was light yellow throughout the day and smelled normal:D No signs of being dehydrated at all. Mad cramping in the legs which is new for me, not enough electrolytes back in from the water cut, lack of quality food, long waits between lifts, probably all of the above;) 9.5 hours at a meet on bleachers really took a lot out of me and the others lots of missed lifts at this meet with multiple bomb outs (missing all three lifts). Back injury most definitely screwed up my peak for this meet, my 405 squat a week out from the meet probably blew my load.

So the only shinny star I have from the weekend is that I deadlifted more than I have ever pulled at 490... Well below my projected max of 520-530 on my program but when you can't finish the workouts you can't expect much;)

I'm still wrapping my head around all this, as it isn't one thing that went wrong for me but a bunch of things but at the end of the day it really comes down to performing and I didn't... It was all on me to make it happen and it beat me down. Time for a week or two off and some reflection on what I need to do so that doesn't happen again:D 14 weeks of hard work down the drain is hard on me right now.

-Albert

PS- Thanks to all that have been cheering and encouraging me on here, it really means a lot to me. Thanks Again

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I wouldn't say the hard work went down the drain. You evidently weren't 100%, so you have more in you on a good day, plus gains to make between now and the next meet. You'll have their chins on the floor next time! :thumb:

When is the next meet?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I wouldn't say the hard work went down the drain. You evidently weren't 100%, so you have more in you on a good day, plus gains to make between now and the next meet. You'll have their chins on the floor next time! :thumb:

When is the next meet?

Thanks Mitch.

There is another meet in August that I might do. It will be the State fair meet again, but they are only allowing 30 lifters to compete. So I need to decide soon if I'm going for that one. After that I'm not sure, as I planned on moving back home to Idaho:thumb: might not be much time for powerlifting...

Last edited:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Potato soup and peanuts paid off today. Did a pyramid on deads.
Warm up and stretch
315x10
365x8
405x5
425x4

Felt like a beast lol did 3 other back exercises and biceps Def loving deads lately lol

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
New belt is here...:rolleyes: The loaner belt I was using at the meet was popping the buckles at the bottom of my warm up squats.... It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring:D

New belt is nice and USAPL legal. INZER branded lever buckle and is more comfortable brand new than my cheap azz belt that is 8 months old:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Been doing light weights and cardio this week, tying to let my CNS heal up as well as my body.

Tomorrow will be heavy squats as Im going to pick up with the end of the 5x4's or the start of the 3x3's... I want to finish this cycle properly and see where I end up...