Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Just read a good article about intensity during heavy lifts that made sense to me. Basically the author said it was not in your best interest to do multiple sets of one weight or to do increasing weights because you will pace yourself and not reach actual fatigue during each set.

So like i did the other day I am going to warm up, then start with my heaviest weight and work my way down. It smoked my legs when I did it a few days ago. Basically just did max reps on each set.

Thoughts on this?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Just read a good article about intensity during heavy lifts that made sense to me. Basically the author said it was not in your best interest to do multiple sets of one weight or to do increasing weights because you will pace yourself and not reach actual fatigue during each set.

So like i did the other day I am going to warm up, then start with my heaviest weight and work my way down. It smoked my legs when I did it a few days ago. Basically just did max reps on each set.

Thoughts on this?
As long as you warm up. I wouldn't want to pull 405 fresh lol but I see what your talking about. I just go to failure on the last few sets

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ

Thoughts on this?

I would agree, usually if its a heavy day, I do a three rep set instead of five rep prior to my main rep set.

So, I do five sets of five on volume days. Each set in the first four are "warm up" sets and the last is the one that matters. The fourth set I will do a triple if I am worried about making the work set, then just do the fourth set for a triple after making my work set.

BUT, unless you are shooting for maxes or lifting at the near edge of 100% workload for your BW (like elite lifter status) I would not recommend dropping warm up sets. It will make you stronger and in the end its all mental. Start dropping sets and then later its in your head that its ok to skip reps etc.

Lower the max weight and smash through all the reps.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I see what you guys mean. I do warm up sets, usually at least 4 or 5 sets of decreasing volume/increasing weight up to my working weight. My working set is not my 1RM, it would be more like a 4-6 rep max weight. Blast it out, then start dropping down in weight.

I wouldnt do it every workout, but during heavy weeks I think it would work well.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Captphil I have no idea:D My training is all designed around Peaking for a meet... For me I need to run more reps early with lighter weight then as the weight goes up start pulling reps until I'm hitting 2-3x90-95% max. But who the F really knows? Everybody is different...

Take tonight for instance. I was supposed to do a 365x3x3 squats... Didn't happen, for what ever reason? I have a ton of excuses but as Matt mentioned 95% is mental, I just B*tched out...

Squats
365x10x1 I threw 1 more rep in there because I was pissed at myself:rolleyes:

Leg extensions
155x12
170x4x10

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I <3 triples.

Albert you did 365x10??

Lil overzealous for a triple :rofl:

10 singles... I have a ton of excuses that I'm not going into, bottom line I didn't perform Matt. Next week I'm coming back with a vengeance. My F-ing legs are going to do what I want or I'm breaking the B*tches off:mad:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Ohhh, alright I read it wrong.

Triples are IMO the easiest mentally, sets of four are just weird and sets of five is borderline volume work. :D

Have you thought about toning back the asc work? Making weight go up and down does not care about how toned the legs that make it move are. ;)

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Ohhh, alright I read it wrong.

Triples are IMO the easiest mentally, sets of four are just weird and sets of five is borderline volume work. :D

Have you thought about toning back the asc work? Making weight go up and down does not care about how toned the legs that make it move are. ;)

I really didn't think I did that much Acc. stuff on legs. When I do extensions, Ham curls & 1-1/2 squats it was more to try and get them to grow. My legs are pretty small and for whatever reason are extremely slow to develop strength & size, always have been. I'm going to cut all the Acc. stuff from here out leg wise, you may be on to something.

I'm stuck with my current programming until this May meet. After that I'm taking long hard look at my squat. Maybe see if I can borrow your bottom end programming, seems to be working well for you.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Squats last night. Felt solid.
Warmup (135x10, 185x5, 225x3, 265x2)
275x8:woott:
275x3
255x6
225x12 (was gonna do a 20 set but cancelled that thought after 10, lol.)
205x8 with a loooong pause at the bottom

Deads
225x5
275x5
315x3
345x1

I tied dumbbells to the bar to do the last two sets of deads, haha, gotta do whatcha gotta do. I felt very good on the 345, was smoked from squats though. I think that if i went in fresh and just did deads i could do 25 to 30 lbs more for 1RM.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Squats last night. Felt solid.
Warmup (135x10, 185x5, 225x3, 265x2)
275x8:woott:
275x3
255x6
225x12 (was gonna do a 20 set but cancelled that thought after 10, lol.)
205x8 with a loooong pause at the bottom

Deads
225x5
275x5
315x3
345x1

I tied dumbbells to the bar to do the last two sets of deads, haha, gotta do whatcha gotta do. I felt very good on the 345, was smoked from squats though. I think that if i went in fresh and just did deads i could do 25 to 30 lbs more for 1RM.

Nice! Glad someone's workout went good:thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Setup some coaching with an SS coach who is local to me... 100$/hr hopefully he'll help me on my technique

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Nothing will beat a experienced guy looking one on one, but don't underestimate the power of posting videos online for advice. If you sort through the BS and what not, you can get a ton of advice and pointers.

Have you watched all the SS videos and just in general videos on squats/deads?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Trained legs and core today. Did squats with some weigh for the first time since I hurt my back. Felt better but I have along way to go back to where I was. I feel I could do my old weight but I'm not pushing it.

Don't laugh to hard lol.

Squats to below parallel-
105x 15
125x 15
145x 15

Felt good, also did some acc stuff but I'm to lazy to post it right now.

Question about lifting belts, seems like rogue is the product of choice. Recommendations on which one?

I used a belt today and it seemed to help my back feel better about squatting, plus I really don't want to have back trouble again.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Inzer gets my vote, I have a 10mm and it still kicks my ass after a few years of heavy use.

Edit: It may be just my thinking, but the belt really shouldn't be on that early weight wise. You need to work on your core strength before relying on the belt.

Last edited:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I've only used a Rouge and not for long so I won't say it's better than another. But it helped me tons. Inzer downfall is you have to wait so long to get it. Guy at the gym waited 8 weeks for his. Got my rouge in 4 days. I don't put it on til I get over 300 pounds on deads. And i use the 13 mm single prong

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Inzer gets my vote, I have a 10mm and it still kicks my ass after a few years of heavy use.

Edit: It may be just my thinking, but the belt really shouldn't be on that early weight wise. You need to work on your core strength before relying on the belt.

I agree with Matt here as long as your not coming back from or nursing an injury. If your sore put the belt on early & make sure your doing your core acc stuff. I try not to put my belt on until 300+ on squats and deads. If my back is really sore the belt goes on early.

I run a cheap lever belt, 50 bones IIRC. It's 10mm think and stiff enough to dislocate a rib:( if you get lazy and out of position.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

I've been working core more than ever since my back problems, I think it has helped a ton.

I agree with Matt here as long as your not coming back from or nursing an injury. If your sore put the belt on early & make sure your doing your core acc stuff. I try not to put my belt on until 300+ on squats and deads. If my back is really sore the belt goes on early.

I run a cheap lever belt, 50 bones IIRC. It's 10mm think and stiff enough to dislocate a rib:( if you get lazy and out of position.

My gym has belts but I wasn't sure on the consensus of leather belts. Maybe I'll just save my $ and use theirs

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I've been working core more than ever since my back problems, I think it has helped a ton.

My gym has belts but I wasn't sure on the consensus of leather belts. Maybe I'll just save my $ and use theirs

Leather only for sure. The others are worthless for Powerlifting...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Deads yesterday, first day of the reset cycle.

4x4x435
2x495
1x555 (wasn't supposed to do this but hey I was there :D)
4x435

Had my yearly physical yesterday too, 6ft@230, morbidly obese :(