Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
We always do a Strength Workout before a Metcon WOD. However we don't seem to focus on oly lifting as much as some probably because 75% of people there are 40-60 years old and fairly out of shape. I just didn't gain much strength and I was going 4-6 hours a week. I have an underdeveloped upper back imho which doesn't help when going overhead once a weak. All of the games athletes do tons of strict strength with metcons mixed in. Plus I still have some mobility issues in my ankles that limit my OHS and snatch. I came to crossfit from a running and hiit background. Not so much a marathon runner but a 5-6 minute mile average over a few miles :D.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Last nights bench destruction...
275x5x4 Comp. paused
Incline
135x10
155x10
185x2x4-5

Super sets
Dumbell rows
100x10
110x3x8
Seated dumbbell Military press
55x10
60x3x7-9
Cable lat pull down
160x12
170x10
180x8
190x8

Super set
Weighted dips
100x3
100x4
100x5
Cable face pulls
200x3x10

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Jesus you must be a big mofo

Thanks Man, nicest thing I have heard today:hug:

But I'm not that big, 5' 11" 205 as of this morning. 2 of the guys I workout with are much bigger than me... One is 6' 4" 260 and the other is 6' 5" 340:eek: Talk about make a guy feel insignificant:rofl:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I'm still taking it easy on the back this week. When I finish these five weeks (week four now) we will hit it full steam again.

Squat
4x8 @ 250

Deadlift
6 @ 275
6 @ 295
6 @ 315

I'm feeling good, but happy to take it slow while getting back into it. The deadlift made my back feel better actually.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Burn - do you have any suggestions to incorporate cardio in? My wife wants to do a 5k this summer (her incentive to get back in shape after the baby) and I want to do it with her. Just hate cardio with a passion lol

I'm not really looking to bulk up anymore this year, just maintain the weights I can move and improve them. Actually would like to cut down some.. But my diet is

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Burn - do you have any suggestions to incorporate cardio in? My wife wants to do a 5k this summer (her incentive to get back in shape after the baby) and I want to do it with her. Just hate cardio with a passion lol

I'm not really looking to bulk up anymore this year, just maintain the weights I can move and improve them. Actually would like to cut down some.. But my diet is

If your goal is body composition, cardio is basically a tool just to increase a caloric deficit. If you are eating too many kcals and are worried that youll be storing dietary fat, then yeah you could use cardio as a way to give yourself a caloric buffer

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If your goal is body composition, cardio is basically a tool just to increase a caloric deficit. If you are eating too many kcals and are worried that youll be storing dietary fat, then yeah you could use cardio as a way to give yourself a caloric buffer

Kinda lost me there with the big words

But your saying to add in cardio to "help" make up for my diet? I realize diet is key and all the cardio in the world can't help with a terrible diet.

I have a pretty fast metabolism, I usually eat every few hours other than when I'm sleeping. Not huge meals but try to spread it out.. Cut out sweet tea a week and half ago, havnt had soda in 6months.. Now pizza is another story..

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Kinda lost me there with the big words

But your saying to add in cardio to "help" make up for my diet? I realize diet is key and all the cardio in the world can't help with a terrible diet.

I have a pretty fast metabolism, I usually eat every few hours other than when I'm sleeping. Not huge meals but try to spread it out.. Cut out sweet tea a week and half ago, havnt had soda in 6months.. Now pizza is another story..

It all depends on your goals. This is my first time posting in this thread, so i'm not really caught up with what everyones going for, goal wise.

Basically I'm saying, if you are trying to just not get fat from your diet (aka too many calories) then you can add a few sessions of cardio to help balance out your energy (calorie) intake and expenditure

For example, if over the weekend you know you are going out for pizza, you can throw in a session or two of cardio

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It all depends on your goals. This is my first time posting in this thread, so i'm not really caught up with what everyones going for, goal wise.

Basically I'm saying, if you are trying to just not get fat from your diet (aka too many calories) then you can add a few sessions of cardio to help balance out your energy (calorie) intake and expenditure

For example, if over the weekend you know you are going out for pizza, you can throw in a session or two of cardio

Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying. Welcome to the thread and post up some workout #s

There's some beasts in here and I'm just be little guy at 195 body weight and a 425 dead, 350 bench, 350 squat.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying. Welcome to the thread and post up some workout #s

There's some beasts in here and I'm just be little guy at 195 body weight and a 425 dead, 350 bench, 350 squat.

Haha, thanks. Those arent numbers to be humble about btw. My numbers suck in comparison to those

I'm much better at giving nutritional advice than giving lifting advice haha

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I did 315 on squat for 4 sets of 8. And all the machines to go with it. Pushed pretty hard today feel great. I'm gonna remax on some stuff soon. I think I like squatting more with my new belt more than dead lifting. But loving it all around so far, starting to soften up already.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Haha, thanks. Those arent numbers to be humble about btw. My numbers pale in comparison.

I'm much better at giving nutritional advice than giving lifting advice haha

Nah I'm pretty proud of my #s for my size. But I'm not in the top tier of this group

What's this nutritional advice you speak of lol. I can't bring myself to eat clean, I'm to picky and love the taste of good food!

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Nah I'm pretty proud of my #s for my size. But I'm not in the top tier of this group

What's this nutritional advice you speak of lol. I can't bring myself to eat clean, I'm to picky and love the taste of good food!

Well for example, in terms of body comp (aka being fat or not fat or skinny, whatever it is you wanna call it) food choice is largely irrelevant as long as you hit your macro nutritional (carbs, fat, protein) for the day.

For example, right now I'm trying to put on some muscle mass after a long cut where I went from 225lbs to 155lbs in about a year. Right now I'm eating 200 grams of protein, 400 grams of carbs, and 80 grams of fat a day.

I eat whatever I want to hit those numbers. I ate an entire Digornos pizza today, the total cals for it were 66fat, like 186 carbs, and like 45-50 protein. So with my leftover cals for the day, I eat whatever I want as long as I hit a total of 200g protein, 400g carbs, and 80g fat.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well for example, in terms of body comp (aka being fat or not fat or skinny, whatever it is you wanna call it) food choice is largely irrelevant as long as you hit your macro nutritional (carbs, fat, protein) for the day.

For example, right now I'm trying to put on some muscle mass after a long cut where I went from 225lbs to 155lbs in about a year. Right now I'm eating 200 grams of protein, 400 grams of carbs, and 80 grams of fat a day.

I eat whatever I want to hit those numbers. I ate an entire Digornos pizza today, the total cals for it were 66fat, like 186 carbs, and like 45-50 protein. So with my leftover cals for the day, I eat whatever I want as long as I hit a total of 200g protein, 400g carbs, and 80g fat.

Sounds like math, math takes the fun out of it.

I get what your saying. It's a science for sure!

That's a pretty good cut for 70lbs!

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Sounds like math, math takes the fun out of it.

I get what your saying. It's a science for sure!

That's a pretty good cut for 70lbs!

Math..lol only takes a few minutes out of your day with an app on your phone to track your meals.

But yeah...was a strong cut.....strength took a hit. But thats normal when in a caloric deficit that long

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Math..lol only takes a few minutes out of your day with an app on your phone to track your meals.

But yeah...was a strong cut.....strength took a hit. But thats normal when in a caloric deficit that long

Yea the app tracker is a good place to start. I was hardcore for a while in all that stuff. Now I just pick up heavy stuff and set it back down

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Yea the app tracker is a good place to start. I was hardcore for a while in all that stuff. Now I just pick up heavy stuff and set it back down

As long as you enjoy yourself thats whats up haha

Some people get way too caught up in the lifestyle kinda like how i spend way too much money on my truck....but we all do haha