Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Thanks man, im trying. Squats and deads are coming up the fastest because I neglected doing them for so long.

Only thing that i dont like about the program is some of the bench days feel a little easy, i usually throw in a couple more de-load sets so i can actually feel like i got a workout.

300+ squat at 165 is no joke. That being relatively untrained strength is incredibly impressive.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Squats: sets of six at 275 to test the waters. Felt good, but heavy and stiff after spending a week doing a bunch of lunges and other high rep work since I couldn't play with the adult section weights. ;)

Deads at the same weight, again, just to make sure my back felt good.

I'll finish this round of Candito as perscribed on the upper body stuff and ramp the weight and reps up to match up nicely with week one of the next cycle to get back on the horse.

Nick, sweet score on the rack. Where are you at with your weights on the lifts now? I feel like a little fella in this thread with these animals pulling huge weight. I'll have you all know I absolutely crushed the scale in half today. 189.5. :joker:

Thanks bud... I'm coming off of a nerve injury at the base of my skull so I am weak... I am going to start a linear strength program next Monday. My rouge bar should be here by then. I really wanna get strong.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
300+ squat at 165 is no joke. That being relatively untrained strength is incredibly impressive.

Thank you too. I actually feel that my squat could be more if i would do low bar squats, but i prefer a more high bar, narrow stance style since I have had some lower back issues. All my squats are below parallel, i have very good ankle mobility as well.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks man, im trying. Squats and deads are coming up the fastest because I neglected doing them for so long.

Only thing that i dont like about the program is some of the bench days feel a little easy, i usually throw in a couple more de-load sets so i can actually feel like i got a workout.

On your bench days what are doing for the optionals, not the Acc. stuff?

And you have some great numbers that will only get better:thumb:.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks bud... I'm coming off of a nerve injury at the base of my skull so I am weak... I am going to start a linear strength program next Monday. My rouge bar should be here by then. I really wanna get strong.

You can do it Nick only thing that will defeat you is you bud:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Squats tonight
325x5x4
Satan squats
275x5
225x1

Should have got some more work in but it's a work night and I got to BSing to much:eek:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Here is an Anchorage lifter that I had the pleasure to meet in August. Matt is very humble laid back guy, with a Monster Bench:thumb: This is the IPF/USAPL RAW SHW World Record from last year.
[YOUTUBE]yaxAhpUwnCQ[/YOUTUBE]

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
On your bench days what are doing for the optionals, not the Acc. stuff?

And you have some great numbers that will only get better:thumb:.

To be perfectly honest I'm not doing much as far as the optional stuff goes. I work 12 hour days on the ship from noon to midnight, so after that I like the nice short workouts. My bench has always been pretty solid so Im not expecting huge gains on that.

week 2 squats and deads last night.
Smashed 245 x 10, felt fantastic. Plan only called for 235 MR10 but the ship doesnt have smaller plates so I did that a few days ago instead of 230 MR10. That was relatively easy so i bumped up the weight this time.
De-loads 225 10 sets x 3

Deads
275 3 x 5

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
To be perfectly honest I'm not doing much as far as the optional stuff goes. I work 12 hour days on the ship from noon to midnight, so after that I like the nice short workouts. My bench has always been pretty solid so Im not expecting huge gains on that.

week 2 squats and deads last night.
Smashed 245 x 10, felt fantastic. Plan only called for 235 MR10 but the ship doesnt have smaller plates so I did that a few days ago instead of 230 MR10. That was relatively easy so i bumped up the weight this time.
De-loads 225 10 sets x 3

Deads
275 3 x 5

Muscle group for the bench press is much smaller than the other groups. For sure it will move slower... However, I make sure I hit bench good and hard, it's the hardest one for me too see positive gain... So my typical Bench day would go like this.
Main Bench
135x5x5
Optional 1
incline
135x4x10-12
optional 2
Dumbell flys, cable flys, weighted dips, decline bench etc.

Or flip one and 2 or any combo you want...

Oh and I work 12 hour shifts as well with an 45 minute drive each way, get it done:D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So although im not strong like you guys i can look forward right? :happy2:

I am going on a SS 12 week program
Starting Weights 3x5 Working Weights:
Squat - 110lbs
Bench - 75lbs
Deadlift - 135lbs
Press - 65lbs
Power Clean - 95lbs

Finishing Weights Week 12:
Squat - 305lbs
Bench - 170lbs
Deadlift - 320lbs
Press - 160lbs
Power Clean - 190lbs

We'll see what happens the Press may be a bit high and deadlift low but ill make adjustments as i go... I am starting really really light to make sure form is good. Getting pumped for Monday

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
So although im not strong like you guys i can look forward right? :happy2:

I am going on a SS 12 week program
Starting Weights 3x5 Working Weights:
Squat - 110lbs
Bench - 75lbs
Deadlift - 135lbs
Press - 65lbs
Power Clean - 95lbs

Finishing Weights Week 12:
Squat - 305lbs
Bench - 170lbs
Deadlift - 320lbs
Press - 160lbs
Power Clean - 190lbs

We'll see what happens the Press may be a bit high and deadlift low but ill make adjustments as i go... I am starting really really light to make sure form is good. Getting pumped for Monday

You are right about the press. I can press more than bodyweight, but that isn't normal. :roflmao:

I bet your bench takes off higher than you expect. Eat a lot, sleep a lot, and enjoy. :thumb:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Today was bench and other nonsense after a prancing session at the crossfit gym (I'm looking at you, Albert :D)

CF:

Clean and Jerk
1 rep every 2:00 at:
55% – 60% – 65% – 70% – 75% – 80%

That was boring, but a good shoulder warmup. I was going to need it.

Workout:
10 rounds for time of:
5 Front Squats, 70% 1RM
5 Handstand Push-ups

Did 7 rounds+the squats of the next round because I hit the 15:00 time cap. All the CF guys were squatting 95-135 and finished in like 30 seconds. I was huffing and puffing on the bar.

Candito's punishment:

Bench
245x3
250x3
255x3
Row
10x155
10x175
8x185
6x195
Press:
Some shit I don't remember. I have to say that week 3 is a sweet little rest with all that 6 rep stuff, then week 4 comes back and slaps you around with all this 10 and 12 rep work.

I am happy with the program structure and plan on using it into the future. Fish oil and water need to be upped because I'm getting a little beat up. I do snatch and C&J two days each still and my shoulders and elbows are getting beat up.:eek:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I'm 6ft 167. I'm gonna start at 3,000 calories and adjust from there probably going to need more though

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'm so proud, my Crossfitter's are going to be yoked:D Even with the prancing...

I would think you both will be able to eat everything in site and not gain much fat, if any... Judging by your height and weight your Ectomorphs (Hardgainers) so don't be afraid of food. I'm Endomorph I really have to watch my diet or my excess calories just turn to fat.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I am just finding it really hard to gain noticeable measureable strength with how random the workouts are in Crossfit. I think if you're already strong it'll work for you but otherwise how am I going to improve my back squat when I work on it once every 2 weeks?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I am just finding it really hard to gain noticeable measureable strength with how random the workouts are in Crossfit. I think if you're already strong it'll work for you but otherwise how am I going to improve my back squat when I work on it once every 2 weeks?

Your spot on Nick. Canditos Programming is solid and will work for you. You have the proper mindset going into it, nice and easy. Let the strength come to you slowly. Coming off of injury is always hard so just be honest with yourself. If you need an extra rest day then take it. Eventually you will come to a point were you can start pushing yourself hard again.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado

It depends on your programming, but if squats are on the whiteboard twice a month, it will suffer. Look at box jumps, cleans, snatches, and all of those things though...how often do you actually squat? However, to move big weight you have to move big weight. It's that simple.

The gym I train in is strength focused, but many aren't. It is sad when I travel how many gyms I go to that don't get their athletes under a barbell enough.

Is your gym pretty rah rah metcon focused? CrossFit was more towards that stuff back in the day, 08/09.