Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I've never looked into any weights for Home, been thinking about it.. What's average cost per pound?

Usually 1.7-2.0 dollars a pound for bumper plates... If you buy the competition plates they are A LOT more money per pound.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
No way I'd work out at home. The gym gets me out of that place lol

Call me lazy but I wouldn't go out to the gym after work if. I typically do crossfit at 5:30-6:30 am. Problem with crossfit is if you don't do strict strength training it is hard to gain a lot of strength.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Are you doing the Open? 15.1 is going to be announced in 75 minutes :D

So I ended up signing up so I could work out on Sunday. The gym is usually closed, but they are open during the open.

Did you do the workout? I got 129/215. I skipped up to 240 with short time and hit the clean easy, but my jerk sucked after all the snatches(elbows hurt like hell) and I missed the catch. Plenty high, but a miss nonetheless.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So I ended up signing up so I could work out on Sunday. The gym is usually closed, but they are open during the open.

Did you do the workout? I got 129/215. I skipped up to 240 with short time and hit the clean easy, but my jerk sucked after all the snatches(elbows hurt like hell) and I missed the catch. Plenty high, but a miss nonetheless.

I did but I was scaled way way down. It was fun

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Just ordered the Rouge 13 mm single prong power lifting belt! I'm very excited as I never use a belt. I've pulled 405 with no belt and do mid to high 300 pound range dead with no belt all the time. So I'm excited to see what this thing will do for me

13mm is gonna bend you over :rofl:

Start wearing as much as you can and embrace the bruising. If you can breath, its too loose. :D

Just remember to flex core muscles into not breath out into it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
13mm is gonna bend you over :rofl:

Start wearing as much as you can and embrace the bruising. If you can breath, its too loose. :D

Just remember to flex core muscles into not breath out into it.

:D Ya I missed that one. Hip bones meet unbendable belt:thumb:

I stomped on mine, bent it up, twisted it... Sucker was still stiff but it's getting better. It's only a 10mm lever belt.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The cheapest Comp bumper plates I have found have been the Pendlay ones. I would love to have a Gym at the house but I don't have the room...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
The cheapest Comp bumper plates I have found have been the Pendlay ones. I would love to have a Gym at the house but I don't have the room...

I have the space, but at the point where I need ~600lb, a bar, and a rack...

Would be easy a grand without blinking. :eek:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I could used one of you beefy fellers this weekend. Go to set my new turbo on and bout ate shit, was a little on the chunky side of life and tried to take me for a ride. Luckily my forehead saved me when it planted against the hood. Maybe a sign I should move from stretches to lifting to

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I have the space, but at the point where I need ~600lb, a bar, and a rack...

Would be easy a grand without blinking. :eek:

For that much weight plus a rack and bar you're looking at 1500$ maybe more. Shit ain't cheap

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
An old back injury had an episode at the gym today. This is actually the injury that drove me out of the gym and into distance running because running was the only thing that I could do that was productive that didn't cause pain.

It doesn't seem as bad as it has been in the past, but only time will tell. I am staying positive and know how to handle it and treat it better than I have in the past.

What happened was my fault. I felt and heard the velcro on my belt jump/skip open a little bit on the first rep and I didn't rack to fix it. I finished the set and rounded my back at the bottom (butt wink) and felt it happen.

I know I did it to myself, but since this is a safe place I want to bust out a quick rant:
I was shuffled around from rack to rack during my warmup because the CF guys were doing the open wod. For those of you that aren't into it, that is a scored and judged workout that they post the results of online to qualify for regional competition. Anyway, they kept acting like I was in the way and I'm not about to deal with whining so I just leave. Anyway, my warmup was rushed and so were my working sets. I was trying to stay out of the way of these spazzes.

I know I am the only one that hurt myself, but there is something about being rushed by inconsiderate/self-centered folks. Especially when they are freaking out over having space to work and I see them missing C&J attempts at 185.:mad:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
An old back injury had an episode at the gym today. This is actually the injury that drove me out of the gym and into distance running because running was the only thing that I could do that was productive that didn't cause pain.

It doesn't seem as bad as it has been in the past, but only time will tell. I am staying positive and know how to handle it and treat it better than I have in the past.

What happened was my fault. I felt and heard the velcro on my belt jump/skip open a little bit on the first rep and I didn't rack to fix it. I finished the set and rounded my back at the bottom (butt wink) and felt it happen.

I know I did it to myself, but since this is a safe place I want to bust out a quick rant:
I was shuffled around from rack to rack during my warmup because the CF guys were doing the open wod. For those of you that aren't into it, that is a scored and judged workout that they post the results of online to qualify for regional competition. Anyway, they kept acting like I was in the way and I'm not about to deal with whining so I just leave. Anyway, my warmup was rushed and so were my working sets. I was trying to stay out of the way of these spazzes.

I know I am the only one that hurt myself, but there is something about being rushed by inconsiderate/self-centered folks. Especially when they are freaking out over having space to work and I see them missing C&J attempts at 185.:mad:

Man that really sucks... Hopefully it's not to serious and some Hot & Cold cycles with a massage or two can get you feeling better.

Now I'm going to bitch at you for a minute:D If your going to lift heavy get the proper gear... There is a reason none of the Powerlifting feds allow Velcro belts. Get yourself a good 4" leather belt of some sort, single, double prong, or lever... Totally worth the money for your own safety. And F*ck those other guys, never let anyone rush you while lifting heavy. Warmups and total concentration is needed for your safety and others around you.

I would look at a diff. gym for your powerlifting days. A place that is okay with that style lifting. I train at a globo gym, Anytime fitness. I think its 30-40 bucks amonth and it has everything I need, Dipshits included:rofl: Just go to the Crossfit box when you fell like prancing around:hug:

Anywho, I sincerely feel bad for you and hope its minor.

-Albert

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Me and my bro went to golds today and it was packed. Didn't work out just checked it out. Didn't care for the environment. Went to club fitness and it was way better. Our golds has one dead lift platform and 2 squat racks. The smaller club fitness has 4 squat racks and u can dead lift in the cages. So no platform but way less people and seemed pretty badass. Got a free 7 day pass we start tomorrow. 20 a month at club. Free unlimited tanning if your into that. Free massages, classes, cardio cinema, 24 hour access, and one free class with a trainer. I'm pretty excited

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Man that really sucks... Hopefully it's not to serious and some Hot & Cold cycles with a massage or two can get you feeling better.

Now I'm going to bitch at you for a minute:D If your going to lift heavy get the proper gear... There is a reason none of the Powerlifting feds allow Velcro belts. Get yourself a good 4" leather belt of some sort, single, double prong, or lever... Totally worth the money for your own safety. And F*ck those other guys, never let anyone rush you while lifting heavy. Warmups and total concentration is needed for your safety and others around you.

I would look at a diff. gym for your powerlifting days. A place that is okay with that style lifting. I train at a globo gym, Anytime fitness. I think its 30-40 bucks amonth and it has everything I need, Dipshits included:rofl: Just go to the Crossfit box when you fell like prancing around:hug:

Anywho, I sincerely feel bad for you and hope its minor.

-Albert

Thanks. You are right. I don't like it, but you are right. Like I said, I'm staying positive about it; my mobility is much better than it has been after past injuries related to this.

I am still pretty green when it comes to big weight. I didn't imagine that much contact patch of velcro would be weak. I'll pick up a good belt now so I can look at it on the table and get pumped to get back under the barbell when it is safe.

I had 300 lbs on the bar and the six felt light, but it is clear now that I need to stop taking any chances and warm up old man style:)p). I'm still a 23 year old punk that needs to slow down and pay attention to the advice of the guys who are where I want to go. :D

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Just go to the Crossfit box when you fell like prancing around:hug:

We have established that as an Oly guy, that tingle never stops. Love frolicking around/farting glitter.

I'm just trying to step up my game to get on your level of pink foam roller and ipod. Gotta have goals...:roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
We have established that as an Oly guy, that tingle never stops. Love frolicking around/farting glitter.

I'm just trying to step up my game to get on your level of pink foam roller and ipod. Gotta have goals...:roflmao:

I know how you Crossfitters are into that Cult sh*t:D

You gotta be a real hard D*ck to rock the pink :rofl: