Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Just curious what have you guys noticed from lifting? As in no more pain in your back, knees, better overall health etc..

I wish, I have soreness all the time but its worse when I take weeks off for sure.

PL for me is less damaging than if I wanted to do BB, but its certainly full of side affects.

But, nothing compares to locking out big lifts and knowing that almost no one else in the gym comes close. Call it ego lifting, or whatever, but its a good feeling of constantly bettering yourself.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Just curious what have you guys noticed from lifting? As in no more pain in your back, knees, better overall health etc..

I all but wrecked my body racing dirt bikes and snowmachines, tons of broken this and torn/stretched that... My fault completely;)

Getting back in the gym has given me a new outlook on my body and my health, I eat better/healthier. I look at food now as fuel instead something to stuff my gut:D I figured I would be crippled up, looking at back surgery in the near future, instead I just deadlifted 485 pounds and felt great doing it.

As a powerlifter I have learned to listen to my body more. I try to give it the rest it needs instead of continuously beating it into the ground... Lifting heavy can hurt you if your not tuned into yourself.

With all that said, I'm stronger and in better health at 39 than I have ever been in my entire life. I see nothing that can stop me from meeting my goals except for me... I do have aches and pains from lifting, but I haven't thrown my back out in close to 4 years now, before it was couple times a year:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bench workout 2 days ago
225x4x10
Incline
145x4x10-8
acc. junk
Chest is still smoked today:thumb:
This mornings workout
deadlift
320x4x10
Deficit paused deads (2.5" block 3-4 second pause at the knee)
235x4x5
abs
45 pound weighted decline crunch
3x20
obliques
45x4x20

Thunderwood

Apr 5, 2014
Warrensburg, MO / North AR
This ^ it's amazing how many people say something when you put on some muscle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I always liked the most too! I miss the gym atmosphere and the compliments and sleeping better. Maybe one day I will live in a town that has a real gym and have time to go.

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
PRO-FAB manifolds, up-pipes,Y-bridge, and boost tubes.
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages
EFI LIVE by Mark Broviak @ DP

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
That's what I always liked the most too! I miss the gym atmosphere and the compliments and sleeping better. Maybe one day I will live in a town that has a real gym and have time to go.

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

You need to get back into the gym

Thunderwood

Apr 5, 2014
You need to get back into the gym

I would love to but the only place to workout in Warrensburg is on the UCM campus and you have to be accompanied by a UCM student and it's $5 per visit. Not to mention, finding time is tough when I leave for work at 6:45am and get home at 10pm

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I would love to but the only place to workout in Warrensburg is on the UCM campus and you have to be accompanied by a UCM student and it's $5 per visit. Not to mention, finding time is tough when I leave for work at 6:45am and get home at 10pm

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

You can always find a reason just giving ya crap. I know you work your ass off. Let's you spend money playing duramax

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Burn, deficit, paused deads...?

You really are a sucker for punishment. :rofl:

Thunderwood

Apr 5, 2014
I've been thinking about setting up something at the house just to keep from looking like a slob. At least I could workout on weekends and maybe on the rare occasion when I get off of work before 9.

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've been thinking about setting up something at the house just to keep from looking like a slob. At least I could workout on weekends and maybe on the rare occasion when I get off of work before 9.

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

Ive been thinking the same thing, but at least I have a gym close to home and time to go.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Burn, deficit, paused deads...?

You really are a sucker for punishment. :rofl:

Ya, something about moderation is for cowards:D They weren't super heavy but after a 4x10 it was plenty... I want to pull 500+ at the next meet conventional, then switch to Sumo. Hoping the Sumo pull will put less strain on my lower back.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Don't mess your back up.. your lifting strong, but you also have tO make a living. Good luck with the competitions,I'm cheering for you. Be safe

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Ya, something about moderation is for cowards:D They weren't super heavy but after a 4x10 it was plenty... I want to pull 500+ at the next meet conventional, then switch to Sumo. Hoping the Sumo pull will put less strain on my lower back.

Sumo should be more like a low bar wide stance squat, with of course... less ROM than a conventional pull. Damn cheaters. :D

Its always felt awkward for me, so I stick with the good old fashioned way.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Don't mess your back up.. your lifting strong, but you also have tO make a living. Good luck with the competitions,I'm cheering for you. Be safe
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm being as safe as I can... As I mentioned before the dirt bike & sleds is what really jacked my back up. The stronger I get the better it seems to feel, so I keep training hard. As soon as it feels wrong, I'm learning to stop before I visit Snap City:thumb:
Sumo should be more like a low bar wide stance squat, with of course... less ROM than a conventional pull. Damn cheaters. :D

Its always felt awkward for me, so I stick with the good old fashioned way.
Sumo allows me to keep a more vertical torso at the initial pull, which is why it feels easier on my low back. I was playing with it some a few weeks before my comp and easily pulled 405 like it was nothing at the end of a heavy Deadlift session. I really want a 500 dead before I switch. I want to pull 500+ with both styles:thumb:

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Segan Underwood

2006 GMC CCSB LBZ
Built trans
DP 72vgt
100% II injectors
10mm stroker cp3
ARP head studs
SDP 3" downpipe
5 inch MBRP exhaust
Traction Bars
PPE guages

What do you do for work that has you up so early and home so late?

Thunderwood

Apr 5, 2014
What do you do for work that has you up so early and home so late?
I'm an engineer for the railroad. I live an hour away from the depot, so 2 hours of my day are spent driving to and from work. Then 12 hours running trains all over the country side then an hour or tow after that is riding in a crew van. I am not complaining because I am blessed to have a good job, but I do miss my night job that was only 8hr shifts and left me several hours a day to spend in the gym and doing meal prep.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I here you. My Dads family are all railroaders out of Missouri. Maybe you know some of them, Gibbs clan? There good jobs but I never liked the on call thing... It's one of the reasons I got out of field service for Caterpillar up here.

I would look into some home gym stuff, like you said. At least you could train on your off days. Something is better than nothing. All that sitting gets rough on your back bud. One of my uncles wrecked his back and had to retire early thanks to those damn trains.