Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Those aee some awesome lifts burn! Congrats man. So im thinking about buying some pre workout supps. Is there one that doesn't taste like shit? I was considering it before but im working longer now and need some energy lol will it give me a kick in the ass to get going? Also does it do anything but that? Like actually help with gains or anything? I know it's not magic but just want to hear what you guys have experienced with it.

I have used several... I currently am weaning off that stuff. Mainly for the simple fact that there really isn't anyone checking to make sure that the ingredients on the label is what is actually in the container.... & I lift in a tested Federation. It would really suck to get popped for a band substance that was buried in the ingredients or not even listed in the ingredients, it's happened in the past.

However Cellucor C4 has been my favorite lately. Pretty good pump and face twitch:D and I can sleep after an evening workout.

I have been using BCAA energy amino and Creatine Monohydrate for pre-workout & maybe some MIO energy if Im real flat. I can understand what those ingredients are and can do for me without needing a Medical Degree:thumb:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Thank You!

I pick my openers by what I can hit in the gym as a triple... Most power cycles taper at the end with triples or doubles. My second and third attempts are based on how I feel warming up, my event pr, and If I'm ready to run through a brick wall:D

Mainly you want to make sure you can hit your opener because if you miss 3 attempts on your opening weight your done, you just "Bombed out".

If your really green you may even lower your opener from a triple even... Nerves can do odd things to people, some excel & some crumble.

Right on. Well, great work. State record is no joke. Be proud.

I am going to take a swing at a few rounds of Candito's 6 week program and see how it goes. It looks like something I can do as scheduled and keep doing my ignorant CrossFit shenanigans a few days per week. I just finished a high rep scheme program on squats and deadlift and am ready to switch it up. It was a good transition from pounding pavement for 40+ miles/week to pushing barbells though.

I am not going to find 1RM again, but this week I am going to do the old 98% for reps gig and see where I land to get a anticipated max.

Since you guys already know I'm a recovering marathon runner I'll use numbers in this post. Just don't laugh too hard. :roflmao:Today I hit squats and I got 315 up 4 reps. I know the only way to know 1RM is to try it, but the way I think, that 315 (previous 1RM was 325) implies 6%-8% higher than previous 1RM, so I plan to base workouts on a new theoretical 1RM of 350. Does that sound right to you guys?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Right on. Well, great work. State record is no joke. Be proud.

I am going to take a swing at a few rounds of Candito's 6 week program and see how it goes. It looks like something I can do as scheduled and keep doing my ignorant CrossFit shenanigans a few days per week. I just finished a high rep scheme program on squats and deadlift and am ready to switch it up. It was a good transition from pounding pavement for 40+ miles/week to pushing barbells though.

I am not going to find 1RM again, but this week I am going to do the old 98% for reps gig and see where I land to get a anticipated max.

Since you guys already know I'm a recovering marathon runner I'll use numbers in this post. Just don't laugh too hard. :roflmao:Today I hit squats and I got 315 up 4 reps. I know the only way to know 1RM is to try it, but the way I think, that 315 (previous 1RM was 325) implies 6%-8% higher than previous 1RM, so I plan to base workouts on a new theoretical 1RM of 350. Does that sound right to you guys?
The records are nice but I'm ready to move down to my normal class and do work there. 205 class is very competitive...

Hey man Crossfit is no joke I have been wrecked more than once doing those WODS....

Yep those numbers will work... Jonnie's program will have you adjust accordingly if you miss reps at all. So no worries, just get a close ish number to start with. Also
Stick with it for at least 3 cycles minimum... I truly feel people hop around to much looking for the next best thing and don't give programs a fair assessment.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Yep those numbers will work... Jonnie's program will have you adjust accordingly if you miss reps at all. So no worries, just get a close ish number to start with. Also Stick with it for at least 3 cycles minimum... I truly feel people hop around to much looking for the next best thing and don't give programs a fair assessment.

As a guy who trains for 6 months for a race that is just over 3 hours, I was skeptical of a program that is only 6 weeks and 3 times through doesn't even seem like that many. :thumb: I understand it was designed with the intent of repeat use, so that is what I'll do.

On another note, I need to look into some shoes with a solid raised heel or at least find my chucks. I squatted today in my trail running shoes and they have a negative heel rise so I was further forward than I would like to be.

What shoes do you guys like for lifting? To be honest, I'll probably end up just using my Chucks if I can find them. They are in the snowmobile trailer somewhere. I should clean that out...:eek:

tripleturbo

Feb 27, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I have used several... I currently am weaning off that stuff. Mainly for the simple fact that there really isn't anyone checking to make sure that the ingredients on the label is what is actually in the container.... & I lift in a tested Federation. It would really suck to get popped for a band substance that was buried in the ingredients or not even listed in the ingredients, it's happened in the past.

However Cellucor C4 has been my favorite lately. Pretty good pump and face twitch:D and I can sleep after an evening workout.

I have been using BCAA energy amino and Creatine Monohydrate for pre-workout & maybe some MIO energy if Im real flat. I can understand what those ingredients are and can do for me without needing a Medical Degree:thumb:

Thanks for the info burn!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Does this keep you up all night?

Well I take it at 5am so it doesn't bother me at night. I actually die when I go to bed for and don't move until the next day.

I wouldn't take it late at night tho.. If you do you'll probably finish some un-finished projects on your truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I usually take 1 serving size of PW around 530 and with about 10mg of melatonin I can sleep normally by 1030-11pm

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Nike Romaleo II's for Squats and lighter deads
Reebok Nano 3 for heavy deads, nice flat harder sole...

The Nikes along with the SBD knee sleeves are hands down the best investment in lifting gear I have ever made:thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

The Nikes along with the SBD knee sleeves are hands down the best investment in lifting gear I have ever made:thumb:

I lift in my nano 4's :D Are you gonna be doing crossfit wods anytime soon? :joker:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I live sore.

I laugh at the dramatic CrossFit koolaid drinkers at the gym. "OMG!!! My legs are so sore! It was those thrusters. Ugh."

I restrain myself from giving unwanted advice, but I think "If you aren't sore, look at your effort and sack up accordingly."

Yeah man, all that gets thrown out the window with exogenous hormones. If you get sore on cycle, chances are your gear is fake.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Yeah man, all that gets thrown out the window with exogenous hormones. If you get sore on cycle, chances are your gear is fake.

I don't have beef with gear or its use unless it is in competition governed by USADA or WADA or whatever.

I doubt I'll use it ever. I'm so far away from the fulfillment of the potential I have without it, there is no reason. I know there is a very, very long road ahead.

How long have you used gear? How old were you when you started?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm 28. I started last year. 2 cycles. I just wanted to experience it. It's not something I will continue to do. I'm using it as a tool to help me achieve my goals. Then hopefully I can maintain without it. I got a late start on bodybuilding so I'm using this route to maximize my gains.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Back squat Raw(Belt only) PR tonight of 430.

Then did 100 burpees for time....Felt like I was gonna die. I wish I saw improvement in my cardio like I do with strength training.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Back squat Raw(Belt only) PR tonight of 430.

Then did 100 burpees for time....Felt like I was gonna die. I wish I saw improvement in my cardio like I do with strength training.

Seriously mirin the 430 squat:thumb: Nice job. What programing are you running for your squat?

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Smashed chest today brother was a no show...

Flat db bench each db:
50x12 warm up
100x6
110x6
125x3 (I've never done the 125s un-assisted)

Decline bench
145x10 warm up
235x 5 for 3 sets
255x5

Incline
145x10
215 x3x5

Chest fly machine thing:
170x6
190x6
210x6
230x6
250x8 (whole stack)

Low cable flys
60x8
70x8
80x8
90x8

Incline db fly
20x12
40x 8x 3

Then cable crunches
110x20
130x20
150x20

Dead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Seriously mirin the 430 squat:thumb: Nice job. What programing are you running for your squat?

Thank you sir :hug: Its a lifetime PR for me so its a step in the right direction.

I actually don't really run a program for my squats haha. Probably not the most effective method but I just make sure I do front or back squats at least twice a week at 80-95% of my max and that seems to work for me. As long as I get in there and lift heavy I see progress.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

I just got some Romaleos in the mail yesterday. Excited to use them. My do-wins suck they are a year old and the sole is coming off to the point ive almost eaten it walking out squats. Got some Reebok power shoes (they call them crossfit lite tr?) and i like those for deads or my new balance minimus trainers.