Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Protein powder, creatine, fish oil and glucoasmine/chondroitin. Creatine is one of the few supplements thay does work. There is lots of data to back it up. It is used in patients with muscle wasting and muscular disorders in the clinical setting. 99% of supplements are total snake oil. Check out Mike Israetels the renaissance diet. He is a PhD and the nutrition consultant for the US olympic weightlifting team. Research shows what you eat and when you eat it in correlation with training stimulus is king.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Okay, Quick update on the meet.
I went 8 of 9 attempts compared to the august meet where I went 5 of 9... So big improvement on my weight selections:thumb:
Anywho I also was able to lift in the Masters 1A division (40-45 years old):thumb:
squat
Opener 355 I think? Good, Second 375 Good, Third 402.5 Miss:mad: Stupid 400 squat! 17 pound meet pr.
Bench
Opener 308 Good, Second 314.5 Good, Third 325.6 Good 27.6 pound meet Pr.
Deadlift
Opener 440 good, Second 475 good, Third 485 Good 22 pound Lifetime/meet Pr.

This meet 2/7/15-S 375, B 325, D 485 Total 1185
Last meet 9/23/14-S 358, B 298, D 463 Total 1119

I broke the State Record in the Masters 1A division in the bench dead & the total... There not big records and probably won't last long but there mine for the moment:happy2:

So in summary, I met all but 2 of my meet goals, I came up short on those stinking squats and I missed 1200 by about what that stupid squat should have got me:D I probably left 5-10 pounds on the bench and 10 ish on the deadlifts but after the fits my back gave me the last 4 weeks I was stoked to pull 485:thumb:

I got videos of my lifts, I will try to get them up on Photobucket so you all can critique me:rofl:

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
Congrats man. Thats hella good lifts. When is the next meet you're lookin to do.

I've sadly had to take the week off due to my shoulder. Where your tricep connects in your armpit. I strained that somehow. I believe it after talking to the docs and seeing photos of muscles and where they tie in and what not. So takin easy this week and hopefully its good to go next week. It hinders my bench mainly. Still trying to do leg stuff. Did 365 for 10 reps on squats last week, then did 3x3 with 375 afterwards. I was exhausted after that.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Congrats man. Thats hella good lifts. When is the next meet you're lookin to do.

I've sadly had to take the week off due to my shoulder. Where your tricep connects in your armpit. I strained that somehow. I believe it after talking to the docs and seeing photos of muscles and where they tie in and what not. So takin easy this week and hopefully its good to go next week. It hinders my bench mainly. Still trying to do leg stuff. Did 365 for 10 reps on squats last week, then did 3x3 with 375 afterwards. I was exhausted after that.
Take it easy on the shoulder. Knowing when to back off has been the hardest part for me. I have always been a Checkers or Wreckers kind of guy:rofl:
Burn that's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support:thumb: It has been a shit ton of hard work.... Gains don't come so easy at this age... Wish I hadn't waited till 36 to get going on my fitness, better late then ever I guess.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Trained legs today, my brother hasn't been to the gym in a year at least and he came in today so we took it "easy"

Started with squats full depth for me, he went half rep.
145x10
195x10
205x8
205x8
225x5 for 3 sets.

Calf raises 3x12
Single leg curl each leg
110x10
130x10
150x10

Lunges
Me: 45# db each hand x10
60# db each hand x 10
75# db each hand x 10

Him:
45 each hand x 10
40 x 10
No third set

Single Leg ext
90x10
110x10
117.5x10

Calf raises on leg press
3 sets of 12

Dead lift
135x 5 for 3 sets.. My back is smoked today..

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Saturday did a 9 mile hike with the dog and my girlfriend, then another mile or two yesterday.

Reset my routine so yesterday was day one of week one.

Squats went to a 5x405
Bench went to a 5x225 (I pause every rep so progress is "slow")
Row went to a 5x255

Needless to say, walking up and down the stair to my office is painful. :rofl:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Trained legs today, my brother hasn't been to the gym in a year at least and he came in today so we took it "easy"

Started with squats full depth for me, he went half rep.
145x10
195x10
205x8
205x8
225x5 for 3 sets.

Calf raises 3x12
Single leg curl each leg
110x10
130x10
150x10

Lunges
Me: 45# db each hand x10
60# db each hand x 10
75# db each hand x 10

Him:
45 each hand x 10
40 x 10
No third set

Single Leg ext
90x10
110x10
117.5x10

Calf raises on leg press
3 sets of 12

Dead lift
135x 5 for 3 sets.. My back is smoked today..

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!

How are you and your Brother walking today:D

Saturday did a 9 mile hike with the dog and my girlfriend, then another mile or two yesterday.

Reset my routine so yesterday was day one of week one.

Squats went to a 5x405
Bench went to a 5x225 (I pause every rep so progress is "slow")
Row went to a 5x255

Needless to say, walking up and down the stair to my office is painful. :rofl:

Are you going to compete soon?

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
One of the greats about gear. No soreness.

I live sore.

I laugh at the dramatic CrossFit koolaid drinkers at the gym. "OMG!!! My legs are so sore! It was those thrusters. Ugh."

I restrain myself from giving unwanted advice, but I think "If you aren't sore, look at your effort and sack up accordingly."

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I broke the State Record in the Masters 1A division in the bench dead & the total... There not big records and probably won't last long but there mine for the moment:happy2:

Congratulations!

How did you come to your weight selection and how do you feel about it? I've always thought of it as having your first as a weight you know you can hit so you have a score, have your 2nd attempt just above meet PR, and have your third as your "in case I show up ready to run through a brick wall" weight.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Congratulations!

How did you come to your weight selection and how do you feel about it? I've always thought of it as having your first as a weight you know you can hit so you have a score, have your 2nd attempt just above meet PR, and have your third as your "in case I show up ready to run through a brick wall" weight.

Thank You!

I pick my openers by what I can hit in the gym as a triple... Most power cycles taper at the end with triples or doubles. My second and third attempts are based on how I feel warming up, my event pr, and If I'm ready to run through a brick wall:D

Mainly you want to make sure you can hit your opener because if you miss 3 attempts on your opening weight your done, you just "Bombed out".

If your really green you may even lower your opener from a triple even... Nerves can do odd things to people, some excel & some crumble.

tripleturbo

Feb 27, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Those aee some awesome lifts burn! Congrats man. So im thinking about buying some pre workout supps. Is there one that doesn't taste like shit? I was considering it before but im working longer now and need some energy lol will it give me a kick in the ass to get going? Also does it do anything but that? Like actually help with gains or anything? I know it's not magic but just want to hear what you guys have experienced with it.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Those aee some awesome lifts burn! Congrats man. So im thinking about buying some pre workout supps. Is there one that doesn't taste like shit? I was considering it before but im working longer now and need some energy lol will it give me a kick in the ass to get going? Also does it do anything but that? Like actually help with gains or anything? I know it's not magic but just want to hear what you guys have experienced with it.

Bsn pre tastes pretty good really. I've had some terrible pre before. Bsn brand seems to be pretty good taste to me