Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Albert I would do some reading on protein intake. There is no need to take in more than about 1g/kg. Lots of old NFL athletes ended up on dialysis when the high protein fad came out and new studies are showing that athletes take in way more than is needed. For example when calculating basal energy expenditure plus stress expenditure on a burn patient, more than 1.5g/kg is rarely beneficial in lean mass maintenance as protein ends up becoming a caloric source vs a nitrogen source in excess. That being said, your caloric and protein needs will not exceed that of a burn patient for lean mass requirements.

Interesting Jordan, I will do some research on it. I plan on cutting way back on all of that sh*t after this meet, food and protein... It's expensive to get bigger than your body wants to be naturally:D

How's the lifting coming along? Beat me to 500 yet?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Morning

6 egg whites
Cup of plain oatmeal
Banana
Oj

Snack
60g protein shake with 2 cups of milk

Lunch
Can of tuna
Cup of rice

Afternoon preworkout
Noxplode

After workout (usually)
Shake 60g protein 80g carbs

Dinner
8-12oz steak
Veggies
And some carb source

Then sometimes, I just say F it and eat taco bell and shit for a few days:D

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Interesting Jordan, I will do some research on it. I plan on cutting way back on all of that sh*t after this meet, food and protein... It's expensive to get bigger than your body wants to be naturally:D

How's the lifting coming along? Beat me to 500 yet?
I think the whole getting as big as you can is unique to the powerlifting world. Look at olympic lifting and how strong those dudes are at 90kg. I have just started hitting it hard rather than the maintenance keep my head above water while in school. Hit an easy 455 two weeks ago before I got Influenza. Been on my ass this whole past week. Hopefully start moving in the right direction.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think the whole getting as big as you can is unique to the powerlifting world. Look at olympic lifting and how strong those dudes are at 90kg. I have just started hitting it hard rather than the maintenance keep my head above water while in school. Hit an easy 455 two weeks ago before I got Influenza. Been on my ass this whole past week. Hopefully start moving in the right direction.

I agree, it's about strength more than aesthetics in powerlifting. I would like both... Jesse Norris seems to be able to pull off both but I think that kid has some really good genetics.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I did the last day of week 1 last night. Did 295 on bench for 9 reps. Something is up with my shoulder so I am going to give it a rest for a few days or maybe even the whole week. Got some pointers for my deadlifting stance and the 355 I was doing was easier.

I am doing low cable rows as my acc exercise and I'm maxing out the machine on the last set of 6 at 260 lbs. Even a month ago, I didn't think I would be able to get that. I'm lookin forward to this week with squat. I gotta do 365 for MR10.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Whey Protein, C-4, Op Nutrition Energy amino, Mio energy, Fish Oil pills, Emergen-C,
probiotic... Mio, c-4 & aminos are my pre workouts depending on how tired I am from work. I try not to get wrapped up in that crap to much. A good diet with whole foods will provide everything you really need honestly.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Does creatine really help?

I was using it but ran out.... Hmm, come to think of it my lifts have been struggling lately... I will have to get some more:D

It's one of the few that they say works... Try it and see, it may work for you, it may not.

Creatine is one of very few supplements that has been widely researched.

To sum up the last six months of reading I have done on creatine monohydrate (thanks, ebscohost/springer/ProQuest): It may or may not help with renal/cardiac/muscular development, but is nearly risk free if taken responsibly and your hydration is in check. There is far more literature out to support brain function improvement and protein synthesis from creatine than any stating risks.

Side rant: Should FDA evaluate supplements in your opinion? I'm all for small government, but I would buy supps from a firm who submitted their stuff for review on an elected basis if they wanted. I would pay the associated premium for that.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Creatine works period. Unless you are one of the few non responders.

I don't use it only because Im a cut up MFer, and it definitely hurts you in that aspect.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I think most guys sweat this stuff before they actually eat enough food, drink enough water, get enough sleep, and train hard enough.

For real, I'm guilty of it too. Eating enough, and taking in the right nutrients at the RIGHT time are far more important than anything else.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Creatine is one of very few supplements that has been widely researched.

To sum up the last six months of reading I have done on creatine monohydrate (thanks, ebscohost/springer/ProQuest): It may or may not help with renal/cardiac/muscular development, but is nearly risk free if taken responsibly and your hydration is in check. There is far more literature out to support brain function improvement and protein synthesis from creatine than any stating risks.

Side rant: Should FDA evaluate supplements in your opinion? I'm all for small government, but I would buy supps from a firm who submitted their stuff for review on an elected basis if they wanted. I would pay the associated premium for that.
Hell yes they should be evaluated by the FDA! Watch Chris Bells Bigger Faster Stronger program. I have a whole new outlook on Steroids, Supp. companies etc. very informative show.
I think most guys sweat this stuff before they actually eat enough food, drink enough water, get enough sleep, and train hard enough.

Creatine works period. Unless you are one of the few non responders.

I don't use it only because Im a cut up MFer, and it definitely hurts you in that aspect.

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself:thumb:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Hell yes they should be evaluated by the FDA! Watch Chris Bells Bigger Faster Stronger program. I have a whole new outlook on Steroids, Supp. companies etc. very informative show.

The part where he hires like 8 Mexicans to stuff some bogus powder into capsules in his kitchen is funny, but powerful.

I'm serious; I would pay a premium to the companies that got tested by the FDA, posted their ingredients on the label, and actually prove their product works.