Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
How do you like that canditos program? I'm needing a set program instead of walking Into the gym each day with a set muscle group and doing things on the fly

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
How do you like that canditos program? I'm needing a set program instead of walking Into the gym each day with a set muscle group and doing things on the fly

Well you be the judge....
may of 14 to now roughly 6.5 months
bench was 320, now 350 ish +30 in a lift I was proficient at already.
squat 320, now in the 420 range so +100
Deadlifts 435ish, now 500 ish +65...

I would say it works very well. Also remember I'm 39 and the gains are harder to come by:D

I have been pretty critical of my squat but looking back at my progress I don't think I could ask for much more...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well you be the judge....
may of 14 to now roughly 6.5 months
bench was 320, now 350 ish +30 in a lift I was proficient at already.
squat 320, now in the 420 range so +100
Deadlifts 435ish, now 500 ish +65...

I would say it works very well. Also remember I'm 39 and the gains are harder to come by:D

I have been pretty critical of my squat but looking back at my progress I don't think I could ask for much more...

Damn your 39 and move that much weight around? I'll look into his program. I've got to start eating better and I'm looking at finding a cleaner protien with less fillers..

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Damn your 39 and move that much weight around? I'll look into his program. I've got to start eating better and I'm looking at finding a cleaner protien with less fillers..

Yep, I'm an old fart:rofl: I used to be the young guy at work harassing the old guys... Boy how times have changed:D

The Protein I like the best is Dymatize, it's low fat/calorie and high on Protein 26g per scoop iirc... It taste good and mixes easily. I hate Protein that gets clumpy...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yep, I'm an old fart:rofl: I used to be the young guy at work harassing the old guys... Boy how times have changed:D

The Protein I like the best is Dymatize, it's low fat/calorie and high on Protein 26g per scoop iirc... It taste good and mixes easily. I hate Protein that gets clumpy...

I'll check it out. I havnt touched protien in 6 months, I've been trying to lean down some. I think I'm just going to have to step up my training and diet to make any more progress.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'll check it out. I havnt touched protien in 6 months, I've been trying to lean down some. I think I'm just going to have to step up my training and diet to make any more progress.

I was doing something similar to you before I got into powerlifting and a set program. I would go to the gym and pick a muscle group and just do random exercises depending on how I felt, which was fine and made good progress and was looking pretty good as well. Mick and Candito's program gave me a set workout with the weights and exercises already figured out. I just had to show up and execute them... It stopped my " I feel like Sh*t today so I'm going to half azz it" mentality. I made goals and it made the workouts easier to get through because if I didn't put in the work, It was going to take even longer to hit that goal.

Also you don't need Protein supps. if your diet is on point... Which it sounds like you know you need a little work there:D I use it as way to limit my calories but still get my 200+ Grams of protein a day.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I just eat, and if I make sure the fridge has only chicken, I eat clean. :rofl:Lunch is usually a chicken breast, been experimenting a lot with different breading and baking it.

Boring, but, healthy.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I just eat, and if I make sure the fridge has only chicken, I eat clean. :rofl:Lunch is usually a chicken breast, been experimenting a lot with different breading and baking it.

Boring, but, healthy.

Ya, the wife is on a Yard Bird kick for her fitness show... So I am as well:D Your right boring but healthy.

Best way I like it is on the Foreman grill with seasoning.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I ate so much chicken during tech school and the couple years after I can barely eat it anymore. I don't really like figs but I'm going to have to learn to like it.

Foreman with Cavenders was my fav chicken, throw in a bag of microwave rice and mmmm

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Had to move an old refrigerator yesterday. Did it like a boss.

Here's the video

[YOUTUBE]qHex0MLrd8Q[/YOUTUBE]

NJ_LLY

Back in action
Nov 4, 2008
Browns Mills, NJ
Yesterday was my first day at the gym in about a year. I start going then get really discouraged and stop. My current weight is 205 and my height is 6'2". I'm looking to be cut but not huge and have no idea where to start. I have an appointment with a trainer today for my free monthly session to see where I'm at with BMI and strength. I really don't want to pay for a trainer but like I said I'm lost. Would one of you like to help me?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yesterday was my first day at the gym in about a year. I start going then get really discouraged and stop. My current weight is 205 and my height is 6'2". I'm looking to be cut but not huge and have no idea where to start. I have an appointment with a trainer today for my free monthly session to see where I'm at with BMI and strength. I really don't want to pay for a trainer but like I said I'm lost. Would one of you like to help me?

Sure that's why I started this thread:thumb:

Firstly, If you want to be cut that's Diet... Unless you have freakish genetics, most of us have to work hard on the diet portion.

Second, You don't have to be big and bulky to be really strong & cut... I'm a little more of a strength guy with a sprinkling of bodybuilder.

Third, how much time can you/do you want to spend at the gym?

Do you have anyone that you know that lifts/trains regularly that you can hang out with?

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Like burn down said. It's diet.

Right now, you need to find out your bf percentage. No other numbers matter, really. That will tell us what direction to go in to reach your goals. You see, if you have a high bf % you may need to bulk up a little before cutting to reach your goal, or it could be that you have low bf % and a simple cut and training program will get you the results you are after.

Example 6'2 205 at 10% bf will be pretty big and cut, but not bodybuilder status.

But 6'2 205 at 20% bf, you will lose 20lbs to get to 10% BF, leaving you at 185, due to your height that *could* look a little thin. Depends on your build.

Hope that makes sense. We are all here to help.

NJ_LLY

Back in action
Nov 4, 2008
Browns Mills, NJ
I can hit the gym daily for the most part as I dont have children and the gym is 2 miles up the road. The bf% I'm not 100% on, how can I calculate that? I went today and met with the trainer witch resulted in me puking. Lol. According to my wife 180-185 is sickly on me and every rib shows. If it helps any I wear a 36 pants. Yes I do have body building friends just not at my gym. I just realized that for the $160 a month it would cost me for a trainer I could join my buddies gym.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Look into Mark Rippetos Starting Strength. Really simple program and you will make gains

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I agree with Wolf get your Body fat figured out. My Gym does it with calipers, not the most accurate but gets you in the ball park.

Puking's a good start:D

Have you looked into crossfit at all? I have done a few of there WODS... Kicked my ass. Plus there structured and some have very good instructors on staff to help you with the techniques and movements.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I'm doing my own type of cross fit at home. I can't go heavy on my legs due to a bad lower lumbar disc. I have lost 6# since Jan 1. But at 5'11 and 260 I have a long way to go. Being built like a silver back sucks sometimes. I looked my best around 215-220.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
If a vegan does crossfit, which do they tell everyone about first?? :D

I would look into any of the starting strength programs, I started with a Bill Starr 5x5 program. Just be sure to check the ego at the door and nail down your form. Your body will thank you late.

I did a 445x3 squat yesterday, prob gonna deload after the volume day.