Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Went to the gym last night. That was a first for me. Usually go in the am when no one is there. You get some strange looks when youre the skinny guy doing deads. Lol. Up to 175 in a set of 6. Gonna try a one rep max in another week or two. Doing 205 on the leg press with ease. Im starting to really like leg day now.

Im thinking of adding squats in the next month. You meatheads have any tips or warnings for me?

Drive through your heels and don't let your ass pop up first, that was my problem. I got her fixed now though. Don't try to be a beast at first just try to use good form, go at least parallel to the ground. Nothing is funnier to me then watching someone "squat" like 400 pounds and barely break there knees over.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Thanks Jason, I'll give those a try next week!

Nick, Im very mobile in those areas. Ice hockey keeps me loose. My hips, ankles and lower back are pretty strong from skating. I have no issue doing the squat motion with no weights. I can almost touch my ass to the floor with flat feet. I dont own a belt. My gym has 3 of them for use. I tried one last week but it felt strange. Maybe I had it in the wrong place on my back? I will check out some videos and work my way to a real squat, slowly. Thanks!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:hug:

Hey Chris-
If you get on Facebook at all look up Testosterone Nation and follow the page, in their news feed they give squat tech and all sorts of powerful workout moves and nutrition tips to incorporate into your routine, several times a day...that's where I picked up the goblet squat from :thumb:

They also give informative tips for different body types with various goals...and, IMO, seeing the feed with dudes totally stacked and jacked is really motivational, for me anyways...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Day two of cruise, broke their leg press machine.
Day three through ten, ate a lot and drank a lot.

:rofl:

February will be a serious cutting month for me. I is fat. :rolleyes:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Day two of cruise, broke their leg press machine.
Day three through ten, ate a lot and drank a lot.

:rofl:

February will be a serious cutting month for me. I is fat. :rolleyes:

Wow thats a long cruise.

What cruise line?

I would imagine if you bought the drink package, thats almost as much as the cruise itself

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Royal Carib, drink package was ~520 I think?

I made them lose out on that though ;)

Thats definitely worth it.

I love Royal over Carnival since Carnival has a 15 drink/day limit

I left on a cruise back in August at 172 lbs, came back 5 days later at about 180 lbs.

Not sure what I love more, all the food or the drinks

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
it was def the food for me, way to hard to avoid eating to much.

Alchohol was doubles of gosling on the rocks, minimal sugar/calaories :D

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Aside from sugary drinks like Miami Vices,

I was throwing back sugar free red bulls and vodka, I was definitely getting my moneys worth of red bull for sure. Stuff is more expensive than alcohol

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Jesus, guys. I tried to read and catch up, but you wild fellas went down too many rabbit holes for me to deal with.

I've been off here for a while, but not strayed from the iron path. One more shooting pain sent me out of the squat rack, onto the chiropractor's table, and doing just the WOD at the local crossfit gym for 3 months or so. I'm down about 10 pounds, lost a good bit of strength, and feel great.

Any of you guys done a DEXA scan? I'm curious where I am BF wise and have instructed my favorite blonde to sign me up for one as a valentine's day present.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks Jason, I'll give those a try next week!

Nick, Im very mobile in those areas. Ice hockey keeps me loose. My hips, ankles and lower back are pretty strong from skating. I have no issue doing the squat motion with no weights. I can almost touch my ass to the floor with flat feet. I dont own a belt. My gym has 3 of them for use. I tried one last week but it felt strange. Maybe I had it in the wrong place on my back? I will check out some videos and work my way to a real squat, slowly. Thanks!

Chris please take the time to watch these videos... Save yourself a bunch of time by just learning the correct movements the first time, trust me. They say it takes like 300-400 reps to build a motor pattern and 3000-4000 reps to break a bad one... These are some of my favorites.
[YOUTUBE]zoZWgTrZLd8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]t2b8UdqmlFs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ygj6XjDHX9s[/YOUTUBE]
My coach below... Cranks out 545x10 beltless.....
[YOUTUBE]Yu4cWGItvUQ[/YOUTUBE]
And this guy squats 600 in a wookie onesie:rofl:
[YOUTUBE]tBELLAw_YoU[/YOUTUBE]

Anywho Chris some state diff. opinions on foot position and forward lean but find what works for you:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Jesus, guys. I tried to read and catch up, but you wild fellas went down too many rabbit holes for me to deal with.

I've been off here for a while, but not strayed from the iron path. One more shooting pain sent me out of the squat rack, onto the chiropractor's table, and doing just the WOD at the local crossfit gym for 3 months or so. I'm down about 10 pounds, lost a good bit of strength, and feel great.

Any of you guys done a DEXA scan? I'm curious where I am BF wise and have instructed my favorite blonde to sign me up for one as a valentine's day present.
I'm skeered my fatazz would break there machine:D I would like an accurate number though.

If you all don't want to lift anymore there is another Nonlifting, be a DNB, shove your head in a trough thread....:rofl:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Clearly I've been doing squats wrong...Prolly why my back is so jacked up...well at least it's not helping it any. Thanks for the videos Albert, got new stuff to work on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Clearly I've been doing squats wrong...Prolly why my back is so jacked up...well at least it's not helping it any. Thanks for the videos Albert, got new stuff to work on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are lots of ways to squat and not one way will work for all. But they all have some very good cues and a lot of similarities. All of those guys have been/are IPF world champions and world record holders, when they give tips I listen:thumb:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Did you see my response when he posted that? :D

Just because someone starts a thread the complete opposite of this one isn't a bad thing. It was meant to be funny, hence its posted in "the comedy club". I would love to workout. I don't have time or feel like it with my body the way it is, neck/back/knee problems. Have had too many motorcycle/4 wheeler accidents. Another reason I don't workout is I work to much and don't want to leave my beautiful wife with our 2 precious children all the time. She needs her time to. If I have offended anyone I apologize, never meant to do that in any way, shape or form. Enjoy your "young kittens" while you can, been there done that and wouldn't trade my life right now with anyone :)