Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Has anyone dealt with SIJ pain? I am thinking thats my latest general soreness, been sleeping on my side a lot lately and I think thats triggered it.

I found some youtube vids on it when I was thinking it was my issue. My coach posted a video on how he deals with and prevents SI joint pain... When I get home tonight I'll post the link Matt.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm really liking having a decent amount of weight and a good bar at home!

I don't have a rack to pull from, so squats aren't so heavy yet, but I'll standing press and rep 135 and am comfortable getting it to and off of my shoulders, so I squat that in sets of 10

And I'm dead lifting 255...which is pretty damn heavy for me, afterwards it hurts my hands more than anything :eek: but its as heavy as I feel like I can or want to go without a belt. Right now I do 3 rep sets at that weight, and I let go of the bar and reset myself for each rep...I'll touch and go 185 for 8-10, 225 for 4-6 depending on how my back feels...225-250 gives me some muscle strain, little hot ones up one muscle between the low back and lats, but its a good hurt
Lol

Im still having issues maintaining daily nutrient intake, totally "light switch" or "yo-yo" intake, some days I get so sidetracked or stressed out, that I don't eat a dang thing or not nearly enough...and thats no way to make gains

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Chest this evening. Also took some of the C4 preworkout at 4am for the first time. Suprised I'm not all jittery like I was on the rsp dyno.

Anyways I did flat bench close grip 1 1/4 reps. Down, pause a sec, up a 1/4, pause a sec, down, pause, up to lockout. 2 warm up sets and then 4 working sets progressively heavier 60,65,70,75% of my 1 rep max.

Close grip flat bench 1 1/4 reps
Bar x 10 x 2
105 x 6
115 x 6
125 x 6
135 x 6

Incline close grip 1 1/4 rep
Bar x 10
55 x 6
65 x 6
75 x 6
90 x 6

11 pull ups was all I could get out in a row...I'm weak f off!

Superset pushups and incline dumbell hammer press

15 pushups x 15 dhp w/15lb dumbells...all I got so it's what I use
15 pushups x 15 dhp w/15lb dumbell
10 pushups x 20 dhp w/ 15lb dumbell.

The last pushup and last 2 or 3 hammer press I could barely get so id say I accomplished what I could at home.

Would love to have time to go to the gym bit wife kinda hoses me by going in the mornings when I do have time. Eh such is life

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Has anyone dealt with SIJ pain? I am thinking thats my latest general soreness, been sleeping on my side a lot lately and I think thats triggered it.

I found some youtube vids on it when I was thinking it was my issue. My coach posted a video on how he deals with and prevents SI joint pain... When I get home tonight I'll post the link Matt.

Matt here is the video. I have been doing these before and after each work out and it's really been helping my back a ton. Give them a try.
[YOUTUBE]DYo2uk8wnkg[/YOUTUBE]

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'm really liking having a decent amount of weight and a good bar at home!

I don't have a rack to pull from, so squats aren't so heavy yet, but I'll standing press and rep 135 and am comfortable getting it to and off of my shoulders, so I squat that in sets of 10

And I'm dead lifting 255...which is pretty damn heavy for me, afterwards it hurts my hands more than anything :eek: but its as heavy as I feel like I can or want to go without a belt. Right now I do 3 rep sets at that weight, and I let go of the bar and reset myself for each rep...I'll touch and go 185 for 8-10, 225 for 4-6 depending on how my back feels...225-250 gives me some muscle strain, little hot ones up one muscle between the low back and lats, but its a good hurt
Lol

Im still having issues maintaining daily nutrient intake, totally "light switch" or "yo-yo" intake, some days I get so sidetracked or stressed out, that I don't eat a dang thing or not nearly enough...and thats no way to make gains

Chest this evening. Also took some of the C4 preworkout at 4am for the first time. Suprised I'm not all jittery like I was on the rsp dyno.

Anyways I did flat bench close grip 1 1/4 reps. Down, pause a sec, up a 1/4, pause a sec, down, pause, up to lockout. 2 warm up sets and then 4 working sets progressively heavier 60,65,70,75% of my 1 rep max.

Close grip flat bench 1 1/4 reps
Bar x 10 x 2
105 x 6
115 x 6
125 x 6
135 x 6

Incline close grip 1 1/4 rep
Bar x 10
55 x 6
65 x 6
75 x 6
90 x 6

11 pull ups was all I could get out in a row...I'm weak f off!

Superset pushups and incline dumbell hammer press

15 pushups x 15 dhp w/15lb dumbells...all I got so it's what I use
15 pushups x 15 dhp w/15lb dumbell
10 pushups x 20 dhp w/ 15lb dumbell.

The last pushup and last 2 or 3 hammer press I could barely get so id say I accomplished what I could at home.

Would love to have time to go to the gym bit wife kinda hoses me by going in the mornings when I do have time. Eh such is life

Don't worry about the weight Jason and Brock, just keep doing your thing and stay healthy:thumb: You guys are doing just fine and I'm proud of both of you, each one of you has been dealing with sh*t that would make most people crawl in a hole and quit but you guys keep getting back up and dusting yourselves off, never forget that:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Deficit Deads for me tonight.

top set of 375x6 and 375x5 with a 5" deficit, pretty close to pulling from my ankle:D

Bunch of paused bench at 225 and 260

Leg press up to 500 for 8 working back down to 300 for 17 feet close, quads on fire!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Don't worry about the weight Jason and Brock, just keep doing your thing and stay healthy:thumb: You guys are doing just fine and I'm proud of both of you, each one of you has been dealing with sh*t that would make most people crawl in a hole and quit but you guys keep getting back up and dusting yourselves off, never forget that:thumb:

:hug:
:beer2:

Albert...you're a good motivational source and a good man, my friend...
Thanks buddy

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Chest/Tri day

Flat bench
115x10 feet up
135x8 feet up
155x4
135x6 needed help on the last 2

Dumbbell flys
45x10
50x10
55x6

Butterfly machine
80x10
90x10
100x10

For triceps I bounced around doing pull downs, skull crushers, behind the head barbell press, overhand pull-ups and seated press. Feels great to be seeing results finally. :thumb:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Going to the gym for the first time in I'd guess 7 or more years with a friend from work. His wife and him are super into health and fitness and she is a trainer. Feel rediculous out of place

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Going to the gym for the first time in I'd guess 7 or more years with a friend from work. His wife and him are super into health and fitness and she is a trainer. Feel rediculous out of place

Good deal Brock!
Absorb what you can and don't think about being outta place
Who the hell cares dude, you're there for the same reason as everyone else, to be fit and get stronger:D

Eat well, stretch stay hydrated, HAVE FUN and have a great workout!
Don't focus on the numbers now, make a mental note or write em down if you have to and stuff it in a drawer, come back back to it in 3mo :thumb:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Workout went good. Did chest, biceps, triceps, lats. Need to do what my buddy does and get a small pocket notebook and write everything down ahead of time so I can track my progress and my weights

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bench and squats.

Worked today. My training/work partner quit today and is headed to Africa:( So unloaded my enclosed trailer to haul his tool box home, -8F* brrr. Anyway got the crap unloaded and my junk loaded back up and the trailer parked. Off to the gym at 8 pm, I'm already beat lol.

Bench
worked up to
315x3 might of had a fourth in me but no spotter.
315x4sx2r Felt better about these and I was able to get most of my arch back with out aggravating the back:thumb:

Pretty whooped going into squats and both knees have been a little sore... but the low back is feeling decent today:D

280x10
315x8
340x2sx5r probably had a 6's in me but was trying to save a little gas for my top set.
370x1 right knee and right butt cheek really didn't like this. So I stopped at 1 and worked my way back down. A little bummed but we will get them next time:thumb:
315x5
225x10
Yuck, I'm smoked, low back is wicked tight, game over...

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Thought my legs were still sore for Monday when I did squats, leg extensions, leg curls. Turns out just the left hammy is sore. My 5 yr old came running in my room and kamakazi attacked me like he was some ninja. Barely even touched my left hammy and I dropped like a sack of potatoes. Think I found why I'm sore so no workout for a few days and see if it heals up.

On that note the 5yr old did dumbell overhead press with 5lb weights in each hand...he cranked out 10 in a row with good form. I was very impressed

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So dumb question for those guys that lean out every now and then..

Do you still take protien shakes? Or just live off of chicken and rice? Lol.

I havnt had more than a couple shakes in 6 months and have leaned out quite a bit, only thing I've really changed is less soda and trying not to eat so much junk.

Thinking about trying to drop 5-10lbs to lean out some more. How do I go about it without loosing muscle mass? I hate cardio but I've been considering some recenty..

Currently 194-195

Would like to try 185 for a while with staying my size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008

I havnt had more than a couple shakes in 6 months and have leaned out quite a bit, only thing I've really changed is less soda and trying not to eat so much junk.

Thinking about trying to drop 5-10lbs to lean out some more. How do I go about it without loosing muscle mass? I hate cardio but I've been considering some recenty..

Currently 194-195

Everyone's body is different so its often hard to say do this and you will see results. But for me, I do best with high protein, lotsss of veggies, high fats, and very low carbs. I eat at least 3 high protein meals a day usually chicken, fish, or beef with lots of veggies like squash, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, peppers, etc and I have cut out starches completely. No potatoes, no beans, no breads, just veggies and low carb protein shakes. However, on the weekends ill ease up and eat a meal or two with some carbs. Maybe some potatoes or bread. But I don't go crazy.

In the past 3 months I have dropped 18lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of muscle using this style of dieting. (verified by a dexa body scan, which I assume is fairly accurate) Used to be about 230 and strong but looked like shit. Now I'm about 215-220 and look much better and feel a lot better. BP came down, have more energy, and despite the lack of carbs I feel pretty good in the gym. Its definitely an adjustment and may be an extreme approach but for me I wanted to lean out as much as possible as quickly as possible and its working so I will stick with it. Others may find that they don't feel good and can get the same results with more carbs and less fats or whatever variation they choose, so play with your diet a little and see what works for you.

As far as cardio goes you can't beat high intensity exercise. I do BJJ a couple times a week and that serves as my cardio other than an occasional run or some sprints on the air dyne in my garage. I probably need to add in some endurance work as well though as my cardio isn't great.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Everyone's body is different so its often hard to say do this and you will see results. But for me, I do best with high protein, lotsss of veggies, high fats, and very low carbs. I eat at least 3 high protein meals a day usually chicken, fish, or beef with lots of veggies like squash, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, peppers, etc and I have cut out starches completely. No potatoes, no beans, no breads, just veggies and low carb protein shakes. However, on the weekends ill ease up and eat a meal or two with some carbs. Maybe some potatoes or bread. But I don't go crazy.

In the past 3 months I have dropped 18lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of muscle using this style of dieting. (verified by a dexa body scan, which I assume is fairly accurate) Used to be about 230 and strong but looked like shit. Now I'm about 215-220 and look much better and feel a lot better. BP came down, have more energy, and despite the lack of carbs I feel pretty good in the gym. Its definitely an adjustment and may be an extreme approach but for me I wanted to lean out as much as possible as quickly as possible and its working so I will stick with it. Others may find that they don't feel good and can get the same results with more carbs and less fats or whatever variation they choose, so play with your diet a little and see what works for you.

As far as cardio goes you can't beat high intensity exercise. I do BJJ a couple times a week and that serves as my cardio other than an occasional run or some sprints on the air dyne in my garage. I probably need to add in some endurance work as well though as my cardio isn't great.

Thanks bud, I'll look into cutting out carbs during the week.. I've always been a eat what I want when I want guy. But I'm a picky eater and don't really eat a bunch of junk anyway.. Other than snacks at work lol.

My aunt has a crossfit style class (yea I said crossfit ) I've been thinking about doing it a couple days a week. I liked crossfit for the intensity when I did it a couple years ago.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL

Currently 194-195

If you prefer shakes over whole food, drink shakes. Whey/protein shakes are only a supplement if you cant get enough whole food in your diet. Drink them if you enjoy them and want to hit your daily protein requirement that way

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Thanks bud, I'll look into cutting out carbs during the week.. I've always been a eat what I want when I want guy. But I'm a picky eater and don't really eat a bunch of junk anyway.. Other than snacks at work lol.

My aunt has a crossfit style class (yea I said crossfit ) I've been thinking about doing it a couple days a week. I liked crossfit for the intensity when I did it a couple years ago.

Id start by just cutting down on the carbs, maybe one meal a day with carbs. Your body definitely needs some carbs so if you're used to having a lot of carbs and switch to a really low carb diet it might be too much.

Wont catch any flack from me about crossfit. Its a damn good workout if you have a good gym with good coaches. I love olympic lifting as well so I used to go to a crossfit gym every now and then until I set up my home gym.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Maybe I should start tracking my food intake for a week or so.. I don't pay any attention it it what so ever..