Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Skipped the gym for 2 weeks to let all of the college kids go back to school. I cant stand when theres more than 3-4 other people in there.

Started back yesterday with a good all around workout. I dont usually focus on one specific muscle group. Ill skip the details. Set up for declines on the Smith machine and really surprised myself when 2 plates felt really light. First time Ive done decline in a couple months. Ended up finishing my set at 175! Only gained 3 pounds so far, but I cant eat like the rest of you hogs. I am getting stronger and quicker on the ice, so thats all that counts.

You guys that deadlift and squat all of that weight, arent you concerned about a hernia or possibly hurting yourselves? I avoid those exercises like the plague and it makes cringe watching guys do them.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Drove by an estate sale today...
Saw a weight bench, with bar racked. Turns out, it was a really crappy bench... and a pretty sweet 300lb olympic weight set and 72" bar!
Picked up the bar and plates for $50!!!

SCORE!

Oh man, no more excuses tho:baby:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I did some legs yesterday,
Squat i Pyramid up to 315 ass to the grass was getting a solid 3, then 4 and 5 I'd pop my ass up and bring it over with my lower back. I need work there, gonna do extra sets with lower reps and see where I get. Worked up to 18 plates on leg press for 10. Same old same old after that, gym calmed down glad I got to the leg press actually.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
You guys that deadlift and squat all of that weight, arent you concerned about a hernia or possibly hurting yourselves? I avoid those exercises like the plague and it makes cringe watching guys do them.
Why? With proper form and technique those 2 lifts are no more dangerous than anything else in life. You have to start light and build up, most aren't willing to go the distance with maximal weights and thats fine. You can still get the benefits from doing the exercise's with lighter weight.

Those 2 lifts are hands down the king of strength movements... Any sport has them built in Olympic lifting, football, basketball, Strongman, Powerlifting, Track etc etc...

It has taken me 2 years of training specific for powerlifting to get to a 405 squat 340 bench and 505 dead... I was doing a myriad of stuff for 3 years solid before that, it takes time and little weight each week adds up. I have a suspect back that I have to watch out for and I'm 40 on top of that. Proper form/technique and programming can take the human body far beyond what most of us think is possible. As I get better and stronger, I want more, it drives me...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
:eek:
Thanks Albert
I don't care what Brian says about ya, you're a nice guy
:hug:

I'm happy, err, getting happier about it
:angel:

Whaddya mean "if my pics turn out good enough"
Post em up, pansy:secret:
Lol, I'm glad I took a pre pic... It really shocked me how fat I had gotten haha. I'll post them both up the week of my meet, good or bad:D I'm also not as pretty as you Corbin and Waid lol
Drove by an estate sale today...
Saw a weight bench, with bar racked. Turns out, it was a really crappy bench... and a pretty sweet 300lb olympic weight set and 72" bar!
Picked up the bar and plates for $50!!!

SCORE!

Oh man, no more excuses tho:baby:

That was a good score:thumb:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Lol, I'm glad I took a pre pic... It really shocked me how fat I had gotten haha. I'll post them both up the week of my meet, good or bad:D I'm also not as pretty as you Corbin and Waid lol

That was a good score:thumb:
Careful Albert, you're working your way toward receiving some drunk texts:spit:
:rofl:

IMHO, Taking pics is crucial. The pics help me with various things, from monitoring what my intake is doing and also just to fight my own demons..I think its funny from day to day how much water retention plays a role in overall size and definition, its like I can't sustain both, yet...I either look puffy or really lean...aashit...first Albert says Im pretty and now I sound like a woman
:cussing:

Nice acquisition jason. Hope everything is looking a little better bud

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Things are as good as I can expect for the situation as it is

The weights were a screamin deal and are a good deal for me, I didn't have nearly enough before, barely enough to stay "fit" and nothing that was going to force any "gains" although now I'm quite aware of how badly I'm lacking in overall strength
LMFAO!

I was curling 115 earlier and standing pressing 135
I pulled one set of 6 each as a test

I struggled a little, I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be
Sad day

All I had before was three set of dumbbells 25/35/40, a 35lb kettlebell and a jump rope
So, you can imagine I'm stoked :D

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ

I started lifting heavy round 2008 and its been a slow journey to where I am now. With 100% honesty every injury I sustained was due to being dumb and either ego lifting or not listening to my body.

I got my cardio in yesterday, dragged two bucks from wayy out in the middle of nowhere to the truck. Shoulder and back are still sore :rofl:Don't judge the hair, had been up since 5 and it had been a cold rainy day
12512603_10207634879886064_6874451896227208695_n.jpg

#conditioning?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Skipped the gym for 2 weeks to let all of the college kids go back to school. I cant stand when theres more than 3-4 other people in there.

Started back yesterday with a good all around workout. I dont usually focus on one specific muscle group. Ill skip the details. Set up for declines on the Smith machine and really surprised myself when 2 plates felt really light. First time Ive done decline in a couple months. Ended up finishing my set at 175! Only gained 3 pounds so far, but I cant eat like the rest of you hogs. I am getting stronger and quicker on the ice, so thats all that counts.

Albert is 100% right... IMHO training for ascetics and strength are very different things. They will over lap sure but if done with proper form you will build a body you never thought possible. I don't use machines at all just not a fan of them. If you could overhead press your body weight you will have a really strong upper body. Squat 1.5 times your body weight? you will have a strong lower body. Deadlift 2 times your body weight you will have a very strong back. Honestly you could blow your body out with the bro isolation workouts. Naturally most guys want biceps so they usually incorporate so form of bicep work. I like barbell curls not dumbbell curls.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
One thing I will add is we ALL yes everyone reading this needs to work on mobility and flexibility... I subscribe to MobilityWOD and now ROMWOD. MWod is great for specific issues but ROMWOD has 20-45 minute online video yoga workouts. Its really awesome... 13$ a month and they release a new video every day. Both are geared toward the CrossFit crowd but it works wonders for everyone :thumb:

romwod.com
mobilitywod.com

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
What Nick said... I have started foam rolling and stretching before and after every workout. This has hands down allowed me to endure the sheer volume of this new programming, I would be a stoved up mess without it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So the low back is still a little pissed at me for stacking 3 heavy leg days together last week, lol live and learn.

Bench today didn't go so good. Opening working set lit my low back up and killed all leg drive:mad:
Worked up to 315x2x2 should be nailing this for 5-6 easy right now, F-it.

Deads
LOTS AND LOTS OF WARMUP AND STRETCHING! I really eased into these not knowing what my low back would do.
315x10
355x10
375x2sx8r back is feeling not to bad, little tight:thumb:
405x2sx6r Felt okay but was all I had. I'll take it after my shitty bench performance!

Close grip feet up bench, trying to get some more work in with out aggravating my low back with my arch.
135x20
185x10
205x10
225x8
225x6

Will spend some time icing and stretching/foam rolling the crap out of my back. Got a good stinger lighting up my left butt cheek. #OldPowerlifterproblems

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
First squats since end of November. Weak sauce is all I have to say. Crazy just how much you lose when you take time off to recover from an injury. Squat dropped almost 85lbs. Oh well guess we will start rebuilding. Sure wish I had a rack, it'd be alot easier that's for sure

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Went to the gym today, couldn't make it yesterday. To much life in the way..

Did bench and squats. Back still doesn't feel right on squats so I ended at a set of 5 @ 225.. Then did some stair machine.

Discouraged is a good word for my gym life right now..

Stress levels and lack of sleep aren't helping any.. Can't remember the last good gym day I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Went to the gym today, couldn't make it yesterday. To much life in the way..

Did bench and squats. Back still doesn't feel right on squats so I ended at a set of 5 @ 225.. Then did some stair machine.

Discouraged is a good word for my gym life right now..

Stress levels and lack of sleep aren't helping any.. Can't remember the last good gym day I had.

Switch things up, try fun(er) excerices, trap bar stuff is always a challenge, farm walks etc.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Switch things up, try fun(er) excerices, trap bar stuff is always a challenge, farm walks etc.

Worst thing is being exhausted walking into the gym and trying to find motivation to do something..

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Worst thing is being exhausted walking into the gym and trying to find motivation to do something..

That is understandable, however, my view may be different than others. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to do it(regardless of being tired, busy or whatever). Having the right mindset is key to achieving this and sometimes that is hard to do. I know that may sound harsh, but it is what it is.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
That is understandable, however, my view may be different than others. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to do it(regardless of being tired, busy or whatever). Having the right mindset is key to achieving this and sometimes that is hard to do. I know that may sound harsh, but it is what it is.

I guess I don't want it bad enough honestly lol. I'm so burnt out on everything right now I don't know what I want.. But I'm not quitting the gym. Just mad at myself