Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
230-240 is where i feel my best. 190 is my thinest but my strength was way down, i had been sick overseas from bacteria acclimation. Once my body was used to the bacteria i was back goin strong and got back to 230ish quickly.

At 230 with full rattle on and my gear i tipped the scales at 305 pounds, i saw some small soldiers over there with larger rattle than me and they carried bigger packs. I dont know how those kids do it, i would invert every evening or morning depending on my on duty hours, my back, shoulders, hips, ankle all streched back out and felt great.

My knees have been cut on too many times, main reason i didnt inlist my senior year of hs. 4 surgeries on my left knee by 21 with pins and plates military at the time had a no metal policy, not sure if they still do. But i agree my knees NEED me to loose weight

Yep, you need to lose some weight for your knees sake... As much as cardio sucks it will do you more good with your current condition versus anything else. Try fish oil tablets, chia seeds, flax seeds lots of omega3's there good for your joints. Light weight lifting more for the stretch than moving mass weight... Once your joints start feeling better start adding in some heavier weights.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Attempted a 565 deadlift the other day, got it off the floor and got starry eyed, so cut out before passing out. Pissed off.

But, did 4x4x440 and a 500x2 prior to the 565 attempt.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
I Read Some Of These post and it brings back the good old days.I am 50 and bench 250 squat 310, don't dead lift. Used to bench 405 and squat 475. While on a cycle. But with old age comes common sense. But I still have a 34 waist and at 6'1 220, feel pretty good while I am in my home gym.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Molly

i can't seem to find
Feb 7, 2014
DE
Those are decent numbers:thumb:

What part are struggling with on squat depth? Hips, ankles or a combination of both?

When I try to get lower, or even just before parallel I feel like the weight comes off my heels to the balls of my feet. I guess it's more hips. Been stretching like crazy though. Couple girls I know that lift also do yoga and they have been trying to get me to go and say it will help. Lmao, can't see my self doing that

Sent from Woodys East Coast Bar and Grill.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
What's wrong with increasing your mobility? Who cares if yoga isn't "manly"...

I tired yoga while in iraq.... It didnt go well for me, being 3 feet wide at the shoulders and large framed translates to zero flexibility. I could care less if somthing is considered manly or not. If it helps then i am game

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I tired yoga while in iraq.... It didnt go well for me, being 3 feet wide at the shoulders and large framed translates to zero flexibility. I could care less if somthing is considered manly or not. If it helps then i am game

I am also quite stiff but have dramatically improved my flexibility. My girl does hot yoga in 100* studio. I am gonna get back into yoga this week myself

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
rogue do winns for squatz and bench, converse for deads.

While I don't do yoga, being flexible will always help, gotta grease the groove. :thumb:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Today was leg day, started off with 5 min of stair stepper. Then straight to squats after some stretching. 3 set of 10 @ 145, 1 set of 5@ 215, 1 set of 2 @ 265, 1 rep @315, failed on 2nd rep.

All full depth squats.

Walking lunges with 100# for 3 sets
Leg curls for 3 sets of 12 each leg
Leg extensions 4 sets of 12 each leg
Calf raises 4 sets of 15
Finished with a mile run and some stretching

I'm really hating my zf-6 right now

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Today was leg day, started off with 5 min of stair stepper. Then straight to squats after some stretching. 3 set of 10 @ 145, 1 set of 5@ 215, 1 set of 2 @ 265, 1 rep @315, failed on 2nd rep.

All full depth squats.

Walking lunges with 100# for 3 sets
Leg curls for 3 sets of 12 each leg
Leg extensions 4 sets of 12 each leg
Calf raises 4 sets of 15
Finished with a mile run and some stretching

I'm really hating my zf-6 right now

Lol That will wreck the legs:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
UA training shoes, they were on sale.

Sent from Woodys East Coast Bar and Grill.

rogue do winns for squatz and bench, converse for deads.

While I don't do yoga, being flexible will always help, gotta grease the groove. :thumb:

This^^^

Best investment I have made yet in foot wear for the GYM has been my Nike Romaleo 2's. A heeled solid squat shoe will do wonders for your squat, especially if you have tight ankles.

I would do Yoga in a heart beat if it helps. I don't give a rats azz what looks manly and what doesn't:thumb:

Molly try throwing a couple 2.5 plates under just your heels when your squatting next and see if you can hit depth easier or not. You might be stretching out the wrong things.

Molly

i can't seem to find
Feb 7, 2014
DE
Any suggestions on what else I can do for calves? Gym got all new equipment which was nice and needed, but they took away the calf raise machine.

edit: Just saw what you said, will give it a go Tuesday. Have to do chest on International Chest Day, you know.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Standing calf raises work awesome for me, I just pick the bar up like I'm going to do squats then do calf raises.. I usually do this with more weight then squats. I think last I was doing them was 3-4 sets to failure at 315.

Also if your gym has a leg press machine it works well with toes only on the plate..

Look up donkey calf raises, lol... They might work well but I won't be doing any unless I can get a couple volleyball girls to help me.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
PR Bench Press! 335:woott:

For Calf raises I prefer the Smith Machine. We have a small step that is about 4" inches high, I hang my heels off of that so I can get a good stretch. I rotate between straight leg calf raises and bent leg, straight ahead toes, duck toes, & pigeon toes. The smith machine is nice because you can really stack the weight on and not worry about being able to keep your balance:thumb:

Molly

i can't seem to find
Feb 7, 2014
DE
Congrats on pr. I did calf raises on the leg press, was a good call. Why did you suggest I put the 2.5 lbs under my feet? Only went up to 315 today because felt tired, and I felt gassy and there were cute girls by me lmao.

Signature custom AF

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Congrats on pr. I did calf raises on the leg press, was a good call. Why did you suggest I put the 2.5 lbs under my feet? Only went up to 315 today because felt tired, and I felt gassy and there were cute girls by me lmao.

Signature custom AF

Putting the plates under your feet gives more extension of the muscle.

Edit: I thought he had suggested plates for calf raises, my bad

Molly

i can't seem to find
Feb 7, 2014
DE
Ether way, felt like easier. Could just been my imagination. I've got another one, what are you guys doing for shoulders? I do behind the back, or head I guess, military press, Arnold press, and lateral raises yet my shoulders don't seem to grow. I do shoulders normally with light legs and body weight stuff.. My 'crossfit' days. Look up wod's and add/ modify to my needs.

Signature custom AF