Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
If you want to target both anterior and posterior chain, you need to do both. A low bar wide stance squat is relying mainly on posterior chain stuff, and usually cannot be done quickly. A high bar squat is more quad dependent and you can rocket those down and out of the hole. OLY style.

Good to know. Ive always stuck to high bar as its far more comfortable for me and I have had some low back issues which low bar seemed to accentuate. Ill try incorporating it a little in the future and see what happens though.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Good to know. Ive always stuck to high bar as its far more comfortable for me and I have had some low back issues which low bar seemed to accentuate. Ill try incorporating it a little in the future and see what happens though.

Unless your powerlifting I would see no reason to Low Bar... Low bar will force you to bend over more at the bottom of the squat. The reason is bar path, low bar moves the weight further towards your heels, in order to keep the weight centered on your heels you must bend more at the hip... High bar is the opposite, it moves the weight further forward allowing you to stay more vertical and still keep the weight centered on the heels.

Below is what Its1ow is talking about with stance and speed.

Candito explains squat stances better than I can...
[YOUTUBE]ezzWqGQlftA&index[/YOUTUBE]
Low bar powerlifter squat Dan Green wide stance
[YOUTUBE]Gat082Us1bU[/YOUTUBE]
Olympic squats High bar Jon North Check out the narrow stance
[YOUTUBE]fUZ_f3WgIlg[/YOUTUBE]

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
You will move more weight with low bar vs high, thats a given. But beyond that, its a matter of what feels comfortable. OLY style will require some technique and I would make sure you are good with it before trying heavy weight fast reps. I started with high bar and could do 405 speed reps like it was nothing, but low bar feels more natural to me.

I have a hybrid of setups.. OLY shoes with a heel, narrow shoulder width stance and low bar, keeps me hitting below parallel, not killing my quads and my knees out. I usually go decently paced reps but certainly not maximizing the stretch reflex you can get with a fast OLY squat.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah I feel much more comfortable with the high bar squats so im gonna stick with that. And it doesnt irritate my low back which is crucial. And I figure training high bar and keeping myself in a vertical position will transfer over better to my oly lifts.

On another note what do yall do for stretching and recovery work? I do either front or back squats multiple times a week and its started to cause some soreness in my hip flexors. I have decent flexibility but my hips could still benefit from being opened up a little bit.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I try to warm up and stretch well before I start squatting... I foam roller the shiz out of my back and legs. It seems to have helped with my sore hip flexors. Also using lighter weights and more reps at the beginning to aid in warm up.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I do about 10-15 minutes on the treadmill at about 4mph, with varying incline. Then some stretching, followed by foam rolling and light weight dynamic movements.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Falling apart this week:( Hopefully just a bad week, all working sets to this week I crushed by a good margin. Next week is max week so we will see. Work has been a bitch this week as well so that is not helping.
Squats 350x2 I wanted 6...
bench 320x2ish needed at least 4...
Friday deadlift???

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Light day yesterday
Squat high bar doubles with second rep paused up to 295, same for low bar
Low bar 315x4
Conventional deadlift
doubles to 365
385x5

Molly

i can't seem to find
Feb 7, 2014
DE
6'1"
Bp 325
Sq 385
Dl 450
Checking in

Lacking flexibility, can't get parallel without my back bending for squats if I do anymore weight, so I don't count it.

Sent from Woodys East Coast Bar and Grill.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
6'1"
Bp 325
Sq 385
Dl 450
Checking in

Lacking flexibility, can't get parallel without my back bending for squats if I do anymore weight, so I don't count it.

Sent from Woodys East Coast Bar and Grill.

Those are decent numbers:thumb:

What part are struggling with on squat depth? Hips, ankles or a combination of both?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Fogured i would check in. Just getting back into it, i have 2 months before i leave for work so i figured id hit it hard.

Todays max and stats not a true mad out day as flexibility was a huge issue even with 1.5 mile easy jog and 10-15 stretch.

Also trying to get back to 240 lbs and 34" waist. Im no light weight by any means.

6'
Bp 320x2 i did bounce my second rep so doesnt count to me
Sq 405 HB < knee was pissed off from lack of flexiblity, pretty upset by the number
Dl 397x2
Pc 225x5

Mix of metric and standard weights

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Fogured i would check in. Just getting back into it, i have 2 months before i leave for work so i figured id hit it hard.

Todays max and stats not a true mad out day as flexibility was a huge issue even with 1.5 mile easy jog and 10-15 stretch.

Also trying to get back to 240 lbs and 34" waist. Im no light weight by any means.

6'
Bp 320x2 i did bounce my second rep so doesnt count to me
Sq 405 HB < knee was pissed off from lack of flexiblity, pretty upset by the number
Dl 397x2
Pc 225x5

Mix of metric and standard weights

Lol your pissed at 405 squat and Im pissed I still can't get 405:D

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!!" lol

deadlifts went way better than expected:thumb:
Supposed to do 430x1-4 Said F-it and went 445 for 3 Nothing but a P-nut haha. Probably had a 4th rep in me but didn't want to aggravate my p*ssy rib.

Very happy today hopefully next week goes stellar. Next comp is in February 12 weeks out...

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Lol your pissed at 405 squat and Im pissed I still can't get 405:D

Lol should have been 305 sorry i tried 365 and i stayed at the bottom tried 325 came off level a few inches and then back to the bottom, went to 305 and i came up but i dont think i went level.

My legs were always my pride and joy 30" and solid. and like i said i think i didnt go near low enough but my hips and knees were so stiff. Over seas i was pushing over 5 and a half in high school i was nearing 700 tell football cost me my knees, and i thought i had kept my legs better seeing as m chest was mutilated last year from surgery i could t work my chest for 3 months and then i just stopped hitting the gym. We had a lot of fun in iraq lifting, being surrounded by guys with the same goals as you and keeping you motivated when u just wanna say f it. My gym here has pretty much all older folks and crossfit, and mma.

Used to be a preacher there who was massive! Never spoke to anyone just wisper sang his gospil music while kickin ass.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Lol should have been 305 sorry i tried 365 and i stayed at the bottom tried 325 came off level a few inches and then back to the bottom, went to 305 and i came up but i dont think i went level.

My legs were always my pride and joy 30" and solid. and like i said i think i didnt go near low enough but my hips and knees were so stiff. Over seas i was pushing over 5 and a half in high school i was nearing 700 tell football cost me my knees, and i thought i had kept my legs better seeing as m chest was mutilated last year from surgery i could t work my chest for 3 months and then i just stopped hitting the gym. We had a lot of fun in iraq lifting, being surrounded by guys with the same goals as you and keeping you motivated when u just wanna say f it. My gym here has pretty much all older folks and crossfit, and mma.

Used to be a preacher there who was massive! Never spoke to anyone just wisper sang his gospil music while kickin ass.

Well I wouldn't be to hard on yourself when your just getting back into it.
I found the hardest thing is to keep the ego in check, especially after coming back from injury or a long break. I know what I used to do and your mind is telling you it can be done but your body says pound sand pal, snap city here we come:D

I would work my flexibility with light weights and then ease back into the heavy stuff... Fish oil and other joint supps have kept the joints in relative good condition...

Are you active duty, reserve or contractor? My best friend and the one who got me going back into the gym is a Iraq Vet, crazy stories... Get strong and stay safe Bud:thumb:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Well I wouldn't be to hard on yourself when your just getting back into it.
I found the hardest thing is to keep the ego in check, especially after coming back from injury or a long break. I know what I used to do and your mind is telling you it can be done but your body says pound sand pal, snap city here we come:D

I would work my flexibility with light weights and then ease back into the heavy stuff... Fish oil and other joint supps have kept the joints in relative good condition...

Are you active duty, reserve or contractor? My best friend and the one who got me going back into the gym is a Iraq Vet, crazy stories... Get strong and stay safe Bud:thumb:

Thanks for the tips man. Im open to any suggestions, my build is odd with a very long torso and thighs are long, lower legs are short.

I was a contractor in iraq from 07-10 had a lot of fun made some great friends. I would love to get back into the contractor scene. But I would need to drop 30-40 pounds right off the bat. Hit he cardio hard tonight and it was a killer, did 2 miles on the eleptical and 2.5 on the stationery. I will see how i feel in the am.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks for the tips man. Im open to any suggestions, my build is odd with a very long torso and thighs are long, lower legs are short.

I was a contractor in iraq from 07-10 had a lot of fun made some great friends. I would love to get back into the contractor scene. But I would need to drop 30-40 pounds right off the bat. Hit he cardio hard tonight and it was a killer, did 2 miles on the eleptical and 2.5 on the stationery. I will see how i feel in the am.

Well if you dump that 30-40 pounds your knees will probably kiss you on the lips :D

Cardio yuck... I think I'll just lift harder haha. Seriously though I need to work on my cardio as well.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Well if you dump that 30-40 pounds your knees will probably kiss you on the lips :D

Cardio yuck... I think I'll just lift harder haha. Seriously though I need to work on my cardio as well.

230-240 is where i feel my best. 190 is my thinest but my strength was way down, i had been sick overseas from bacteria acclimation. Once my body was used to the bacteria i was back goin strong and got back to 230ish quickly.

At 230 with full rattle on and my gear i tipped the scales at 305 pounds, i saw some small soldiers over there with larger rattle than me and they carried bigger packs. I dont know how those kids do it, i would invert every evening or morning depending on my on duty hours, my back, shoulders, hips, ankle all streched back out and felt great.

My knees have been cut on too many times, main reason i didnt inlist my senior year of hs. 4 surgeries on my left knee by 21 with pins and plates military at the time had a no metal policy, not sure if they still do. But i agree my knees NEED me to loose weight