Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Did some deads finally, just to get very Annoyed That I have the grip of a t-rex. So i destroyed some rows and arms, any advice on a good grip strength exercise?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Mine sucks to...my forearms are toast at the end of workouts. I'll be interested to here a solution with you.

And you other two need to go hit weights your both entirely to fired up over calories...jmo don't hate on the new guy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Did some deads finally, just to get very Annoyed That I have the grip of a t-rex. So i destroyed some rows and arms, any advice on a good grip strength exercise?

Mine sucks to...my forearms are toast at the end of workouts. I'll be interested to here a solution with you.

And you other two need to go hit weights your both entirely to fired up over calories...jmo don't hate on the new guy

Beat that dick like it owes you money;)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
That's what I am saying, but junior there wants to break it down to calories are calories when it's not that simple. Sugars triggering insulin for example. Styles of training and becoming catabolic. At its bare raw form, calorie vs calorie may apply but in this application there is a lot more at play. I would definitely consider myself a hard gainer.

WHOLLY FAK, MAN...dude, I know/Im sure your road to get yoir body to where you're at was hard fought, but you ain't seen a "hard gainer" until the you've met me...:roflmao:
:roflmao:

When my metabolism kicks in, I'm screwed...
I'm also 38 and raise children etc etc, and I can not make the time to make amd eat the volume of food/intake I need to, to gain...also, I physically can't do it, it makes me feel like crap all day to be that full...although I do feel stronger and can push harder during and have a longer workout :rolleyes:

You guys and the calorie/genitic debate kill me, because from my lamen POV, experience and knowledge, you're both right... Genitic or not, calorie intake makes gains, how you apply the calories is your deal...genetically, as humans we have "a potential" but genetically not everyone packs on muscle like the other, AND genetically speaking, not every "body" uses muscles the same, may it be due to length of limbs or mental blocks...buy Ive trained on many teams and no one puts muscle on lb for lb, the same...

Me for example, based off the "simple math" of caloric rate of muscle at rest, I need about 3000 free calories just to feed my muscles at rest during a sleep cycle, to regenerate, gain and grow... and I need about 2000 to start a day, 2) 1000cal snacks throughout and a solid 2-3000cal meal to finish...some people wouldn't need that much because they have their own "stores of energy" to burn, but I don't and I need that much at a minimum, or O will lose weight if my metabolism is active

And I need food with all that diverse protein, medium chain fatty acid, carbs and whatever else...I can not do it off low quality food and carbs alone

When I'm really on point, I can manage to shop for and make the food/meals I need, but its rare if I can keep it up for more than a couple weeks, its like a friggin job in itself

And another variable is rest...you cant gain amd grow if you don't sleep and let your body recover, rest and BUILD

Shoot, I'm lucky to scarf down a bowl of cereal, grab a sandwich for lunch and take the time to eat a full dinner...I'm lucky to get 4-6hrs of sleep a night too, so I burn more cals in a day because my day is longer than the norm, and I sleep less so I don't get to fully recover...

That's a recipe for a "hard gainer"
:)

On a side note, I have like 9.6% body fat...but I'm sick and tire d of having the body of a 20y/o :mad:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Got that covered :spit:Maybe I need to do some post protein afterwards

If you're really interested in gaining grip, hand and finger strength, buy a couple indoor rock climbing holds and fix them to a wall, or join a climbing gym...you wanna talk about a full body workout of muscles you didn't know you had, try bouldering for a couple hours:hug:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I could eat 3000 cal/day and still not gain much weight. It took me 3 years to put on 35 pounds working out. That was eating and supplementing. Shit, I ran a resturant/pizza shop for 2 years and was there 12 hours a day. Def not clean meals. It was all I ate. I might have gained 5 pounds. Been this way my whole life and I love it. Everyone else my age is a fat ass and Im over here looking like 11th grade. Lol.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Squats today=back did not enjoy 125 so I stopped at #6 before I injured it. Kinda makes it disheartening to know I can't go over 115 without bad juju.

Tried to push on and do some about stuff. Flutter kicks, scissor kicks, heel touches, plate twist. Was fine until 3rd set of plate twist the back gave up. So I'll take a few steps back in progress and heal for a while and figure something out. This is damn aggrivating and very disheartening. stupid back anyways

Last edited:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
WHOLLY FAK, MAN...dude, I know/Im sure your road to get yoir body to where you're at was hard fought, but you ain't seen a "hard gainer" until the you've met me...:roflmao:
:roflmao:

When my metabolism kicks in, I'm screwed...
I'm also 38 and raise children etc etc, and I can not make the time to make amd eat the volume of food/intake I need to, to gain...also, I physically can't do it, it makes me feel like crap all day to be that full...although I do feel stronger and can push harder during and have a longer workout :rolleyes:

You guys and the calorie/genitic debate kill me, because from my lamen POV, experience and knowledge, you're both right... Genitic or not, calorie intake makes gains, how you apply the calories is your deal...genetically, as humans we have "a potential" but genetically not everyone packs on muscle like the other, AND genetically speaking, not every "body" uses muscles the same, may it be due to length of limbs or mental blocks...buy Ive trained on many teams and no one puts muscle on lb for lb, the same...

Me for example, based off the "simple math" of caloric rate of muscle at rest, I need about 3000 free calories just to feed my muscles at rest during a sleep cycle, to regenerate, gain and grow... and I need about 2000 to start a day, 2) 1000cal snacks throughout and a solid 2-3000cal meal to finish...some people wouldn't need that much because they have their own "stores of energy" to burn, but I don't and I need that much at a minimum, or O will lose weight if my metabolism is active

And I need food with all that diverse protein, medium chain fatty acid, carbs and whatever else...I can not do it off low quality food and carbs alone

When I'm really on point, I can manage to shop for and make the food/meals I need, but its rare if I can keep it up for more than a couple weeks, its like a friggin job in itself

And another variable is rest...you cant gain amd grow if you don't sleep and let your body recover, rest and BUILD

Shoot, I'm lucky to scarf down a bowl of cereal, grab a sandwich for lunch and take the time to eat a full dinner...I'm lucky to get 4-6hrs of sleep a night too, so I burn more cals in a day because my day is longer than the norm, and I sleep less so I don't get to fully recover...

That's a recipe for a "hard gainer"
:)

On a side note, I have like 9.6% body fat...but I'm sick and tire d of having the body of a 20y/o :mad:

I could eat 3000 cal/day and still not gain much weight. It took me 3 years to put on 35 pounds working out. That was eating and supplementing. Shit, I ran a resturant/pizza shop for 2 years and was there 12 hours a day. Def not clean meals. It was all I ate. I might have gained 5 pounds. Been this way my whole life and I love it. Everyone else my age is a fat ass and Im over here looking like 11th grade. Lol.

My main point was, being a hardgainer is just something that people call themselves when they are not able to gain weight. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of calories being consumed. Its as simple as your energy output being higher than your energy intake.

Unless you have a thyroid issue or are using gear, the energy balance equation is pretty easy to understand.

Personally, I wish I was a "hardgainer" but I work in an office all day and am hardly on my feet or moving. I know a lot of you guys are active individuals and you can even see that based off their workouts listed alone. Youre putting out a lot of energy.

Here's some reading to look at if you ever get bored.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html/

http://www.alanaragon.com/articles

I'm not discrediting what anyone is saying or trying to say "im smarter", I'm just trying to help