Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Check out some of their articles on calves.

I looked at some of my measurements from when I first started lifting last night. My calves measure 14.5..... They are now 16, still small but I'll take 1.5 lol. That's 3 years of training.

Arms started off at 14 and are now over 16 cold unflexed. I tried to stay pretty lean this whole time, which no doubt hindered some mass gains... Things you learn as you go.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Repeat of last week deads, usually I skip the repeat week but installed a 14ft beam in garage yesterday so was all sorts of beat.

Deads
4x4x435
2x495
2x555

Mid 5s def seems to be the natural peak for me, gonna push hard to get that 600 this cycle and then see how I can slam my average weight sets up.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Well didn't lift this morning...back was really tight and didn't feel great. Decided I'd wait until tonight and at some point this afternoon I stepped wrong and now my pain has gotten alot worse and I can barely hobble around without huffing and puffing like I ran a marathon. So hopefully some ibuprofen will help some and it'll go back to no being crappy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Decided to ease back into squatting tonight:rofl:
2x20x225 mother of god I wanted to puke...

Bench
135x12
185x10 feet up
225x2x10
135x10

Bench didn't feel very good thanks to wanting to puke:D

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Hmm, I don't know if I would say your lifting to heavy for your size... If you can't do the lifts with proper form and control or have poor technique then yes it's to much weight. I know guys in the 150-165 range that bench in the 300's with no problems. It could have been as simple as improper warm up or not enough stretching.

After reading that article below, I think I have a good idea why I got hurt. My entire workout is isolation based. I def got a lot stronger snd bigger, but I was taxing individual muscle groups too much. Looks like I need to revise my routine a little bit and focus more on total body conditioning.

Very interesting!

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
People need to realize there is no such thing as a "hardgainer"

If you cant gain weight or muscle, the first thing you need to evaluate is your total daily caloric intake

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
So if you want to maintain weight would you need to eat the bare minimum of macros for protein, carbs, and fats? Then if you want to make gains you need to bump them all 25-50%

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
If you are skinny mini and you are serious about gaining, just eat. Open fridge? Eat chicken. Passing fridge? Eat more chicken Etc.

Near max deadlifts play hell on your CNS, still paying for Sunday :(

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

If you cant gain weight or muscle, the first thing you need to evaluate is your total daily caloric intake

That is far too generalized of a statement and I disagree.

I can be on a 240C/300P/89F 3700cal diet & not gain f**k all at 5'9" 188lbs 10% BF.

Genetics and your bodies ability to process calories plays a huge role.

And I eat stupid clean. Typically 2lbs of cod fish per day. Usually do zero cardio. HIIT.

I could up my carb intake but would only gain fat.

Upping protein would only put more strain on my kidneys.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009

I can be on a 240C/300P/89F 3700cal diet & not gain f**k all at 5'9" 188lbs 10% BF.

And I eat stupid clean. Typically 2lbs of cod fish per day. Usually do zero cardio. HIIT.

Umm what? Carbs can do wonders for muscle growth...

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL

Its not a far too generalized statement. No one is a unique snowflake when it comes to the energy balance equation. Genetically people may upregulate NEAT to a far more extent when overfeeding occurs, but it still comes down to energy in vs energy out, not the processing of kcals

If you cant gain weight, regardless if its muscle or fat, youre not consuming enough calories.

Upping your carb intake alone is not solely responsible for fat gain.

When your glycogen stores are maxed out, then de novo lipogenesis is more likely to take place.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
So if you want to maintain weight would you need to eat the bare minimum of macros for protein, carbs, and fats? Then if you want to make gains you need to bump them all 25-50%

Everyone's maintenance cals are different and maintenance is always changing based on various factors. If you want to maintain, it just takes trial and error for a few weeks to figure out what your maintenance caloric range is, if you want to try to build muscle with minimal fat gain, a small surplus is good, but fat gain is inevitable at some point

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

You're classifying everyone as genetically the same.

It's always the same thing over and over.

From my personal experience, the ones who always say you're not a hardgainer you just don't eat enough, are the same ones who complain when they can't lean up for the summer... See where I went there? Some people gain mass easy some don't. Some people lose fat easy, some don't.

Just my 2 cents

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
You're classifying everyone as genetically the same.

It's always the same thing over and over.

From my personal experience, the ones who always say you're not a hardgainer you just don't eat enough, are the same ones who complain when they can't lean up for the summer... See where I went there? Some people gain mass easy some don't. Some people lose fat easy, some don't.

Just my 2 cents

Seriously, I wasnt trying to be rude. I was just trying to make the point that it comes down to cals in vs cals out, muscle building or fat loss.

When you are in a caloric surplus, your leptin levels are at a normal level if not raised and your grehlin levels go down.
People with good leptin sensitivity stay fairly lean because they tend to burn off the excess calories consumed.

Both of these hormones play a huge role in how your body responds to either excess cals or lower cals.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Neither was I?? Sorry if it came off that way. My point was more towards: there are 2 types of people and neither knows the other exsist.:hug:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
So to maintain weight/minimum weight gain but cut fat off is there a good equation or a way to figure how I need to be basing my macros? I've seen calculators but I've been seeing numbers all over the board. I'd like to stay at 180-190 but get my body fat down ...I'm currently at 23-25% and 180-183

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
So to maintain weight/minimum weight gain but cut fat off is there a good equation or a way to figure how I need to be basing my macros? I've seen calculators but I've been seeing numbers all over the board. I'd like to stay at 180-190 but get my body fat down ...I'm currently at 23-25% and 180-183

It sounds like you want to recomp, which is hard to do unless you are a beginner, in which case you could just eat at maintenance and maintain intensity in the gym.

Its far easier to choose one goal at a time and stick with it, so to cut down on body fat, you will have to lose weight, so put yourself in a caloric deficit or to gain muscle, just accept that fat gain will occur and put yourself in a surplus.

It just depends on what goal is more important to you at the time

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ

Find you maintenance intake, and either grab a fitbit or old fashioned notebook and log what you intake. Its a evaluate as you go processs from my results, you slowly will get to where you maintain weight, and then you can tweak it. Either maintain that intake and workout more, or cut intake and maintain current workout levels.

Patience and good record keeping. There is a reason fridges are full of precooked chicken in tupperware for each day. :thumb: